Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Scorpions goddesses or Netjeri?  (Read 308 times)

Offline GugaLopes

• Remetj
Scorpions goddesses or Netjeri?
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »
Em hotep everyone, how is your day [when  you are reading this]? I hope it is all alright and in Ma'at

There's something that makes me a lil bit confused: are Petet, Tjetet, Matet, Mesetet, Mesetetef, Tefen and Befen - the seven scorpions that follows and protects Aset - goddesses or Netjeri?
I've heard some people calling them the scorpion goddesses, but I've always felt them more as Netjeri than deities.

Thank you all...
"I am All That Has Been, That Is, and That Will Be.
No mortal has yet been able to lift the veil that covers Me."
(Quote found on a statue of Nit at Sais)

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Scorpions goddesses or Netjeri?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:06:05 pm »
Em hotep Guys!

So the answer is, put simply, yes.

Aset's seven scorpions might be Netjeri (they'd be big ones) or they might be Netjeru (small ones). They have been linked, at least in theory, to Heru-wer's seven scorpion wives, who are also linked to the seven Hetherts. These two groups are generally Netjeri.

The interesting part of this is that seven is a number used to represent all. So when you discuss a group of seven things, you are also discussing all things of that group. Which includes scorpion Netjeru, like Aset and Serqet.

Ritner wrote a thing on them that I haven't quite tracked down, but the link is to him discussing this exact topic at a conference: https://oi.uchicago.edu/article/lecture-robert-ritner-scorpion-wives-horus-october-9-1996

I'd love to talk about what you think once you have a chance to listen. When I track down his article I'll share it with you!

Senebty for now
Ra'awyserqet
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:08:52 am »
Em hotep Ra'awy,

What information do you have on that article so far? I can dig a little further with my work access and see if I find it.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:23:42 pm »
Em hotep Zat!

It's "The Wives of Horus and the Philinna Papyrus" and it's part of the book "Egyptian Religion: The Last Thousand Years." Other than that, I haven't been able to track it down any further.

Senebty
Ra'awyserqet
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline GugaLopes

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:10 pm »
Em hotep Ra'awy,

thank you so much for the video and the article, when I get more time to read and listen, i'll give it a check!
I confess I've never heard of the seven scorpion wifes, only the seven Hetherts, but never really search about it...

When I get a better view on this topic I'll come back to talk more about it!
"I am All That Has Been, That Is, and That Will Be.
No mortal has yet been able to lift the veil that covers Me."
(Quote found on a statue of Nit at Sais)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279816
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything