Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 10
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Burial: now versus then  (Read 521 times)

Offline daisy

• Remetj
Burial: now versus then
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:29:42 pm »
I have always been very interested in mummification ever since I was a small child. I watched so many documentaries on it that it seriously worried my school teachers because it was all I would talk about. Coming to Kemeticism I have been thinking a lot more about it and the role it played on the person in the afterlife. The normal way of burial now is either through slight preservation or cremation, both of which do not keep the body intact like mummification does.
My plan for years for my body when I die is to put no preservatives in it whatsoever and just shove me in the soil so that I can give my body back to the Earth in its entirety. This is because nature and the Earth is very important to me and has played a big role in my spirituality.
So I am wondering... how does being Kemetic affect your plans for your funeral? Is it important for us to preserve our bodies still? If we get cremated, will that affect us in the afterlife? Can you even get mummified anymore? Is it something that is still required?

Offline Sha'ersenu

• Shemsu
Re: Burial: now versus then
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:43:35 pm »
Em hotep!

Great question, following here to see how is the House of Netjer vision about the topic.

Senebty,

Sha'ersenu
Sha'ersenu
"Worthy of Two"
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Set
Meryt Wesir, Ra, Heru-wer her Aset-Serqet

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:23:29 pm »
Hotep:

Is it required to get mummified, technically it really wasn't required then.  Mummification wasn't a standard practice for a majority of Egyptians because they were farmers and couldn't really afford it to begin with.  The mummies we see in museums are actually from many different time periods and are usually royalty, nobility and upper classes.

As for today if you want to keep some of the tradition you can include on your marker a photo of you to take the place of a mummy.  In many tomb statues were used in case the mummy was damaged.  If you want to be mummified be prepared to pay a very high price, base price from one company is 67,000 US dollars.

If you wanted a burial of a ordinary Egyptian you can be buried is a desert.  Most farmers were buried like this.  Hope this helps.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Self-Care Aset Advocate, Self-Care Yinepu Keeper

Offline mross

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:51:54 am »
I have also been fascinated by this question. When it boils down, my personal belief is that an image of myself (would probably be a photograph in my case) and friends/family to repeat and remember my name, will be sufficient for me. My body itself? I don't know what I want to be done with it. Temseniaset gave a very good suggestion of being buried in a desert. I think I will think of that as an option for myself actually. I feel a strong connection to the desert anyway, so it works out secularly as well.

Offline Sedjosrysekhmet

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »
Em Hotep!

I'm going to make a quick pop in here because someone said death and burial and Its impossible for me NOT to stick my nose in it so bear with me. :)

I did a little digging on this topic to satisfy my own curiosity. There is at least ONE place that will mummify you when you die.  The last time I remember checking the going rate was around 65k ?

Personally myself i agree with Daisy. Give me a natural burial with a shroud and maybe a rock and a peony bush on top. Also as someone who hopefully will be in Mortuary School next fall, and as someone who has unfortunately dealt a lot with burial options, this is your friendly motherly reminder that if you have a specific  wishes for your burial to make sure they are in writing. If your looking for natural burial its a good idea to start looking for that green cemetery. Ive heard theyre becoming more popular but in some places their are not alot of them? Also share this information with your loved ones. I know its uncomfortable but  I don't want anyone else getting their butt chewed out in the middle of a hospital waiting room by their mother in law for saying cremation over burial for the final wishes.

Love and hugs everyone <3
Sedjosry

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:30:52 pm by Sedjosrysekhmet »
Sat Sekhmet-HethertMeryt Wepwawet-Yinepu her Djehuty her Bast-Mut

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech sensored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 05:29:56 am »
I did a little digging on this topic to satisfy my own curiosity. There is at least ONE place that will mummify you when you die.  The last time I remember checking the going rate was around 65k ? Hopefully this helps by the way:

Em hotep!  Summum also mummifies animals, but it’s significantly less!  I had a family come to me years ago to send their cat off for it.  Summum sent me this awesome “mummification available” sign to advertise to families.

http://www.summum.org

Senebty,
Yashi
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Rayashi

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 05:33:26 am »
Em hotep! 

I suggest searching key words here to pull up old topics.  This is a reoccurring question and there is some great stuff from lots of people already here!

Senebty,
Yashi
Rayashi (Yashi) - "Ra calls me"
Sat Ra her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Nut, Sekhmet-Hethert, Sokar-Wesir, her Min

Etsy

Offline Djedetmiwesir

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
Em hotep!

So I am wondering... how does being Kemetic affect your plans for your funeral? Is it important for us to preserve our bodies still? If we get cremated, will that affect us in the afterlife? Can you even get mummified anymore? Is it something that is still required?

As previously mentioned, I think a photograph, or just someone remembering  I think even just our names is enough to feed our Ka. My mother was cremated, and her Ka is very active and alive!

At this stage, I plan to be cremated. It may be silly, but I just like the idea of being close to my family for a while after I am gone. Put my ashes in an urn with a spell 330 from the Coffin Texts. I am going to ask my family if they would humor me and say Akhu offering prayers for me once a month, or as often as they can remember as their lives carry on. My husband wishes to be cremated as well, and we want our ashes mixed together.

I also think canpic jars are rather inspiring as a design, even though their intended purpose is for the internal organs as part of mummification. An Urn that looks like an Egyptian coffin with a name and likeness of the deceased seems like a nice option too. With a little painting of a Djed at the bottom, and Nut under the lid, you can capture a lot of burial symbology very simply... if you wanted that sort of thing.

Senebty!
Djedet
Djedetmiwesir (Djedet) "Enduring/Stable Like Wesir"
Sat Wesir, Meryt Nit-Nebthet, Meryt Nut
----
https://duawesir.wordpress.com/ (formerly Wesir org)

Offline daisy

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »
Ahh! This is super awesome and I wasn't honestly expecting much of a reply! Everything that everyone said is super awesome and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that has thought in depth about their body after death! I love seeing the different things that people want to do and how they may decide to connect it to religion!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2836
  • stats Total Posts: 279823
  • stats Total Topics: 18825
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 103
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything