collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Offerings question  (Read 248 times)

Offline siobhanraven

• Remetj
Offerings question
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:03 am »
Em Hotep!
I have a question to those that know more than I. For daily Senut, what do you all do when you're dirt poor and really don't have anything to offer, as far as food, or anything else for that matter? My husband and I are going through rough financial times with my chronic illness issues and having to take FMLA leave (days mostly, but on 2 weeks leave right now). Money is tight, and we're having to eat at his parent's house most nights. I'm not looking for pity or handouts, just suggestions as to what I can do with what little I have. This week I have offered dry oatmeal and apologies. I think the Netjer and Akhu will certainly understand, but I would like to be able to have proper offerings when I can. Thank you in advance!

Senebty,
Blue
AKA Blue

Offline Pairysenu

• Shemsu
Re: Offerings question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:17:25 am »
Water is always a good and acceptable offering, and is my go to. I often do Senut with no offerings other than water. So that is a good staple that is often available for reasonably cheap (not in all places, unfortunately). Netjer and our Akhu always understand limitations like that, and don't blame us in the slightest. <3
𓅮
"The One Who Acts For Two"
Meset Sekhmet-Hethert her Set
Meryt Heru-wer her Sobek

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:19:40 am »
Clean tap water is a great offering.  As is the food you plan to eat yourself.
Taji, The One Whom Bast Restores to Life

Offline Ushedimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:15 am »
Em hotep, siobhanraven,

I, too, have chronic illness (fibromyalgia and several mental illnesses). As Piri said, water is always accepted. Offering a task or devotional activity, a physical object are also possibilities. Singing or reading a poem or hymn you've found or composed. Basically, anything you can think of.

Also, senut is cool because you have three offerings built right in: water, flame, and incense. Those are still offerings, after all! So even if you have nothing, you have those things.

Personally, I always have my offer of taking care of myself in Their Names on the table. Anything I do for my health, seeing doctors, taking my meds, resting, etc. are all offerings. (It helps that Mother Sekhmet is all about my health and very, very insistent I care for myself).

I often offer crystals or jewelry, even ones I have offered before. I'll offer "IOU" meals -- that is, write on a small slip of paper the offering of dinner or my next meal and leave it, then make a quick, silent prayer to Them again right before I eat the meal later.

If I feel well enough, I sometimes offer doing my makeup to Sekhmet as well (She likes the way it makes me feel).

But I think you get the point: anything can be an offering, as long as there is sincerity and intent. The act of giving the offering, of doing or giving something in Their Names, I feel should be the basis of it.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Ushedi
Ushedimuti | "My Mothers address me."

{ Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Mafdet, meryt Set!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter / Advocate | Self-Care Set Keeper
daughter-of-the-red-land.tumblr.com }

Online TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:48:53 pm »
Em Hotep!
I have a question to those that know more than I. For daily Senut, what do you all do when you're dirt poor and really don't have anything to offer, as far as food, or anything else for that matter? My husband and I are going through rough financial times with my chronic illness issues and having to take FMLA leave (days mostly, but on 2 weeks leave right now).

Offer what you eat.  If it is good enough for you to eat,  it is good enough for you to offer it.  At least that's the advice I got from Aset. 

Water is a great offering.  Coffee or tea are great offerings too. 

Say a prayer in your head before you eat if you are eating with others who would not share or understand your faith.  That way you can offer the food on your plate and eat  it.  Anyway, that's my advice. 
senebty,

TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

My Books: My Lulu Store

Online Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 02:04:15 pm »
I agree with everything said here, and adding that you don't need to apologize for it either.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline siobhanraven

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:50:53 pm »
thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your help and encouragement.
AKA Blue

Offline Terra Akhert

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »
Em hotep, siobhanraven,

I, too, have chronic illness (fibromyalgia and several mental illnesses). As Piri said, water is always accepted. Offering a task or devotional activity, a physical object are also possibilities. Singing or reading a poem or hymn you've found or composed. Basically, anything you can think of.

Also, senut is cool because you have three offerings built right in: water, flame, and incense. Those are still offerings, after all! So even if you have nothing, you have those things.

Personally, I always have my offer of taking care of myself in Their Names on the table. Anything I do for my health, seeing doctors, taking my meds, resting, etc. are all offerings. (It helps that Mother Sekhmet is all about my health and very, very insistent I care for myself).

I often offer crystals or jewelry, even ones I have offered before. I'll offer "IOU" meals -- that is, write on a small slip of paper the offering of dinner or my next meal and leave it, then make a quick, silent prayer to Them again right before I eat the meal later.

If I feel well enough, I sometimes offer doing my makeup to Sekhmet as well (She likes the way it makes me feel).

But I think you get the point: anything can be an offering, as long as there is sincerity and intent. The act of giving the offering, of doing or giving something in Their Names, I feel should be the basis of it.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Ushedi

Let me just say I love the concept of the “IOU” slip idea! As others have said though Netjer and akhu 100% understand limitations and struggles. You can always offer the food you are already eating by saying a silent prayer.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!

Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter.

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:24:55 am »
All of these ideas are good!
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:56 pm »
Em hotep,

Great topic! I went through a lot of times when I had very little materially to offer Netjer. I would offer what I had, even if that was incense just once in a while. I'd offer good wine and food when I had it.

What I've learned is that what Netjer want from us, is love. Love, attention, and interaction. They don't expect us to give what we don't have, or to give what would make us insecure. They will work with us, where we are, with what we have-or don't have.

There are lots of good suggestions that have already been said as well.

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Beloved of Heru Sa Aset

Sau Apprentice

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:30:02 am »
What I've learned is that what Netjer want from us, is love. Love, attention, and interaction. They don't expect us to give what we don't have, or to give what would make us insecure. They will work with us, where we are, with what we have-or don't have.

Exactly.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2793
  • stats Total Posts: 278581
  • stats Total Topics: 18733
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 102
  • stats Most Online: 217