collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: The Ogdoad Series  (Read 584 times)

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
The Ogdoad Series
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:25:08 pm »
Em Hotep everyone!

I want to share a new project I'm doing, the Ogdoad Series.
So, you probably has seen me talking and asking about the Ogdoad here in the forum for some time now, so I decided to put all that I know on texts!
I'll be posting texts on my blog (but I don't know how long it will take for me to post them, so be patient), which is in portuguese, but I'll be translation them to english for those who want to read it!

In this project I plan on writting about each couple, exploring what they represented on the pre-zepi tepi times and what they became after merging into Creation it self.

I made a introduction text about it, and I'll link it here and also post the whole text here: https://clavisarcanus.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/a-serie-da-ogdoade-the-ogdoad-series/

THE OGDOAD SERIES

ENGLISH
PART 1 – The Khmeniu

Since I began to study Kemetic religions and beliefs, one topic that interested me was the cosmogonies, especially the one in Hermopolis.

A cosmogony is a scientific, religious, or lyrical explanation of the Creation of the universe(s) and within the Egyptian cosmogonies we have something that differs from many cultures: the existence of life forms even before the Creation of everything and in city of Hermopolis, the capital of the XV nome of Upper Egypt, we have one of the Creation myths that best explore and work with this pre-Creation forms of life.

Hermopolis is the name given by the Greeks and means “The City of Hermes”, for the Egyptians called it Khmunu, translated as “The City of Eight” and this name is due to its creation myth.

In short, it is said that there were eight gods before all, four couples representing primordial principles, namely the Khmeniu (or called by the Greeks as the Ogdoad, both translated as “Group of Eight”):

• Nun and Naunet, the Primordial Ocean;
  • Kek and Kauket, the Darkness or the Void;
  • Heh and Hauhet, Eternity or Time;
  • Ammon and Amunet, the Occult.
The men, Nun, Kek, Heh, and Ammon were represented with toads’ heads, while the women, Naunet, Kauket, Hauhet, and Amunet, were represented with serpent’s head, and they had the appearance of these animals due to Nun and Naunet, who represented what existed the most in this pre-existential realm: water.

As said, Nun and Naunet are the waters that existed before everything else. The ocen withou end, beginning or edges that circulated throughout the pre-universe and which guaranteed the (pre-)existence of the other three couples.

Kek and Kauket are the embodiment of darkness, the lack of light that precedes light itself, caused by the void of the space.

The next couple, Heh and Hauhet, are the very infinity of time, the temporal cycles. That is, the continuum existing before everything and present till infinity.

And finally, Ammon and Amunet – which can sometimes be exchanged for a variant of couples like Gereh and Gerhet, but here we will focus on Ammon and Amunet – who represent that which is Hidden or Occult. This couple is the closest to Creation, then being the kinetic power that itself causes the pre-Creation to maintain or to cause Creation.

It is also valid to say that each couple is not composed of separated gods or “a deity that can be both male and female,” but rather principles that are complete in the form of a couple but which may come to manifest separately after Creation.

From here on we will have variations of the myth: a disturbance of all this chaotic-order occurs and causes a mount (called Benben) to arise and on it is born Ra, giving light to everything and provoking the creation of the universe(s).

The different variations of the myth may have as creator principle Nit, Djehuty, Ptah, Tem (Atum) or Amon himself. The best-known says that a lotus arises, caused by Nit (which here has the form of Naunet), and from it is born Kephera/Ra or that the Ibis of Djehuty, or Gengen Wer, the sacred goose of Amon, place an egg on the Mount Benben and from it Ra is born.

And so the Ogdoad sacrifices itself so that it’s concepts allow the creation to take place.

And with that I start for you a series of texts about Ogdoad. I warn you that this project, even though it is short, can come to last for months or even years to be finalized.

I plan to write texts exploring, from historical, theological, and personal interpretations resulting from studies and experiences, each text about one of the four couples and dealing with how they were before Creation and how they merged into the Same.
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
For short: Hepet or Hepetwi
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Shemsu Liaison

Offline Capra

• Remetj
Re: The Ogdoad Series
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:33:20 pm »
Ooooh! <3  I would love to read an English translation. (Barring that, I can always try babelfish or google translate. ;))

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:40:25 am »
Em hotep!

I'm so excited to see what else you write! I'll be using Google Translate a whole lot here soon. 😁
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline Djehutyendy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:02:41 am »
Em hotep!

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for taking on this project.

Djehuty has been coming to me recently in His role of Creator and Lord of the Ogdoad, which has sparked my interest in the Ogdoad itself. I'm looking forward to reading more of what you come up with :)

Senebty!
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Fundraising Bak | Shemsu-Ankh Liaison | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
Em Hotep people,

I would love to read an English translation.

At the end of each post will be the english translation, just scroll down <3

I'm so excited to see what else you write! I'll be using Google Translate a whole lot here soon.

This makes me so happy! On the ogdoad series each text will be the english translation at the end (this first part already have the translation at the end), the other texts I already have on the blog is mainly translations from spells or sacred texts from english to portugueses, but I have a few of my own texts on Nebt-het and Yinepu from a "30 weeks of devotion texts" but I stopped because I want to do some changes on this challenge soon.

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for taking on this project.

Djehuty has been coming to me recently in His role of Creator and Lord of the Ogdoad, which has sparked my interest in the Ogdoad itself. I'm looking forward to reading more of what you come up with

It maks me so happy that you all are enjoying the idea!!!!
There's some texts that I plan on writting, some will be easier than others, but basically what I have on mind now ~for now~ is:
  • -Four texts exploring each couple before, through and after Creation
  • -What does it means they dying for Creation?
  • -Each Creator and their role with Ogdoad and Creation
So I have at least six themes do explore for now, but I don't wanna do it just through studying on texts, I also want to see what the Names show me on this process, so it will be a long project

Senebty
Guga

Shemsu Liaison

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:11:06 pm »
This is so fascinating! Thank you for sharing!
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu,Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:48 pm »
Oooohhhhh!!!  As a daughter of Amunet, I am super excited about this!  Yes, please share more as you write!!
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 08:33:26 pm »
Em hotep  S'ashasenu

I'll be sharing, but for now I'm working on translating the texts from Henadology to portuguese (with the writter's permission) and I'll be on a trip on a few days, so it will take me some time for the next text.
But also talking about Henadology, check his text on Amun, because it gave me some great things to think about on the meaning of his name (which is Amunet's name too, of course, the Hidden Ones)
And I would love to talk with you about your connection with Amunet! I've never seen a child of Hers!!

Senebty
Hepetwi

Shemsu Liaison

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:00:19 am »
I look forward to hearing more of your writings as you have the time, Hepetwi!  In the meantime, please feel free to message me anytime about Amunet, I love talking about her!  I am only the second of her children here in the House. :)
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:32 am »
I am following this with interest as well. *waves* I’ll be curious to see what you find.

Senebty,
~Tabauamunet
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline Sarytsenuwi

• Rev Kaitlyn, Ordained Clergy - Sema Kau Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:38:08 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you discover!
Rev. Sarytsenuwi
(Standardbearer of my Two | Porta-estandarte de meus Dois)
Sat Set her Bast | Meryt Heru-wer, Hethert-Nut, her Heqat
W'ab Nekhen Medetsen net Nekh | Fedw for Set and Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2933
  • stats Total Posts: 285932
  • stats Total Topics: 19384
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything