Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Bast and Her Amulets  (Read 202 times)

Offline Capra

• Beginner
Bast and Her Amulets
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »
Em hotep:

I have a question for Bast kids and other enthusiasts:

The seated cat Bast statues are often depicted with amulets. So far I've seen three: Eye of Ra (udjat), Uraeus, and Scarab beetle (winged or not). The first two are obviously related to Bast as an Eye of Ra, but as Khepri is the dawn (usually) would that relate to the Eye as the one who has been pacified/returned? Something completely different?

I'm curious because my Bast figurine has just the scarab (no wings).

EDIT: Historical and UPG info both welcome. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:57:21 pm by Capra »

Online Shefytbast

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
Re: Bast and Her Amulets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:34:48 am »
Em hotep, Capra! From what I've seen, it symbolizes dawn/life/renewal, so as the life-giving (not wrathful) aspect of the sun, you could certainly interpret it as the pacified Eye of Ra. That's an interesting take on it! The scarab is also associated with the heart (for instance, with the funerary heart scarab), so you could also draw a parallel to Bast's name of Mistress of Joy. (The word for "joy" in Ancient Egyptian literally translates as "widening of the heart.")

The famous Gayer-Anderson cat shows two examples of scarabs, plus an udjat amulet. She also has ma'at feathers on her ears! She's a favorite of mine. ^_^ (Click on "more views" to see her from every angle.)

Senebty,

Shefyt

Shefytbast | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Capra

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
Em hotep, Shefytbast. :)

so as the life-giving (not wrathful) aspect of the sun, you could certainly interpret it as the pacified Eye of Ra.

It would explain why so many of them have the udjat AND the scarab, though I've seen one with all three!  :o

I did come across that particular statue in my search. I also like the ones on display in the Louvre. Sadly, my own is not a museum replica - I'm pretty sure the hieroglyphs around the base  are nonsense as the direction they face changes willy nilly.  :P

Thank you!

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
Though I don’t have any information to share, I’m enjoying this thread about Mum! <3 very educational for me.

Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2846
  • stats Total Posts: 281548
  • stats Total Topics: 18960
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 106
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything