collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 88
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Does the gods understand when we call them by various different names?...  (Read 274 times)

Offline Detetive

(first of all sorry for my bad english...) I was with this question in mind...but most gods have a lot of names like Seth / Setesh / Sutekh... Does the gods understand when we call them by the different names they have or just with one especific...im a beginner in kemetism...sorry for the dumb question XD...
☥ Dua Set, Dua Yinepu ☥

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Does the gods understand when we call them by various different names?...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:09:52 pm »
Em hotep, friend!

I think your English is beautiful. <3 And your question is not dumb! <3

Yes, I definitely think the Gods know Who we're talking about or talking to, even if we use one of the variations of Their Names (whether Kemetic or Greek; this can be tricky with Aset and Isis, but does Djehuty know you're talking to Him if you're calling Him "Thoth"? Or Wesir, "Osiris"? I do think so, yes).

And for what it's worth, I'll bet Papa Set appreciates your use of Setesh / Sutekh especially. They feel very, very ancient to me . . . "Setesh" sounds like a bolt of lightning to me. <3

I'll be very curious to hear what others think!

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:14:17 pm »
I think it’s good to remember as well that the names by which we know the gods aren’t their True Names. They keep those close. 

And aside from that, I’m Tasedjebbastmut, Tasedjebbast, Taji, and Tasedjeb.  And that’s just here. I’m also Katherine, Kate, 开宜, Katarzyna, Kasia, Αικατερίνη, and Καίτη.  And while I don’t like Kathy, I still acknowledge that it might refer to me. I never really go by Ann, but that’s me too.  😁

How much more the gods?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:20:35 pm by Taji »
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Αφιερωμένο στην Αφροδίτη

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 09:43:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure they understand.  Even us humans, whose intelligence and wisdom is nowhere near the level of a god's, can understand when someone who doesn't necessarily speak our language well (or at all) is trying to get our attention.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:38:57 am »
Em hotep, friends!

I also think intent is behind it as well . . . I mean, if someone either mispronounces my name or calls me by the wrong name, but I know they're talking to me, I'll still happily respond. ^_^

I really love Taji's point about how we as humans likely have lots of names ourselves. Given names, nicknames, spiritual names . . . <3

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:00:08 pm »
True point, that.

My legal surname is very long and very ethnic (Slavic).  English speakers tend to look at it and freak out.  It gets mispronounced all the time.  I just smile, maybe even laugh a little, and gently correct them.  And even if they get it wrong again, it's still all good.  I appreciate the ones who try. 
Tasedjebbast,
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Αφιερωμένο στην Αφροδίτη

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2901
  • stats Total Posts: 283494
  • stats Total Topics: 19136
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 107
  • stats Most Online: 217