collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Should i tell my parents im starting in the kemetic path?...  (Read 527 times)

Offline Detetive

Should i tell my parents im starting in the kemetic path?...
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:40:12 pm »
Em Hotep Well...i really wanted to make a beautiful shrine in my room and starts to pray for the gods...the problem is that my parents are christians...they are Seventh-day Adventists...they don't like much egiptian things (especially my mom...) they just know that vision of egipt that have on the bible...but do you guys think that i shoud talk to them that i have a different religion or that isn't a very good idea....i just cant hide this forever....
☥ Dua Set, Dua Yinepu ☥

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
Re: Should i tell my parents im starting in the kemetic path?...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:44:29 am »
Em hotep

I think whether you tell should be based on how safe you'll be. If you're still living with your parents, depending on how hardcore Christian they are, I'd advise against telling them in the event they may kick you out or something. In this case, a lie of omission ("It's just neat", for example) is justifiable if they ask about the shrine and it isn't safe for you to be honest about it.

Senebty
Son of Set & Heru-wer
Beloved of Ptah & Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:51:06 am »
I don’t recommend it. Not while you live with them. You may even want to consider a temporary shrine that you can use then pack up. It’s not as speccy as a permenant shrine but it maybe safer.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Aashemmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 05:53:30 am »
I’d suggest that you be cautious, echoing what others have said. From what I’ve heard of your parents’ religion I think it tends to be strict. It wouldn’t be good to upset your parents with things they just won’t understand. So it might be wisest to be discreet. Netjer understands, and this is not an evangelical religion where you are obliged to tell people about it. Your shrine is about your relationship to Netjer, not about making a point to anyone else.

Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.
Sat Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast, Meryt Shu her Sokar-Wesir.

Offline Djehutyendy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:33:27 am »
Em hotep!

I agree with everyone else about being cautious and putting your own safety first. One thing you could do is keep your shrine items in a box and just pull them out whenever you pray. I've done that when I lived in roommates and didn't feel comfortable having a permanent shrine.

I do want to mention one thing, though. If you are planning to apply to the Beginner's course and you are financially or domestically dependent on your parents (even if you are over the age of 18), then you will need their consent to take the course. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but it sounds like you are living with your parents therefore this might apply.

Senebty!
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Fundraising Bak | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

Offline Gezausenu

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
Em hotep, friend!

Lest I assume what your parents would do based solely on their being Seventh-Day Adventists, I think it boils down to how well you know your parents, and how you think they'd react. Just because someone's extremely religious and / or conservative doesn't mean they'd automatically kick you out or that there'd automatically be hellish repercussions for your being something other than Christian.

This having all been said, if you know your parents are strict, and that there probably would be harsh consequences, then it seems wise not to tell them. As someone who clashed with their parents over religion (rather ironically), I'd even perhaps advise against keeping a shrine in a box . . . but again, this depends on how strict your parents are, and how they might react if they found it.

If this is the case, remember that the Gods can hear your prayers no matter what. <3 Shrines are amazing, but They're there for you, regardless of whether or not you have a shrine or can give Them offerings.

Now, you'd mentioned that your mom's views of Egypt are mostly due to the Bible. Do you think her reaction to your studying the ancient Egyptian Gods would be more based on her not understanding about ancient Egyptian culture, or do you think it would be more about the fact that you're not Christian? Because if it's just a matter of misinformation, rather than religion, teaching her about ancient Egypt might help ease the tension.

But, of course, you know your parents better than we do. <3 I know it can be really hard to not be open about your faith, but I'm also a firm believer in not creating unnecessary conflict wherever possible . . . and if being open about your faith would lead to conflict with your parents (not necessarily that you'd be "unsafe"--I rather think that's a hasty presumption to make), then it might be best to wait. <3

I hope this makes sense!

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:08:17 pm by Gezausenu »
I have left the House, but free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything at all. Ever. <3

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288174
  • stats Total Topics: 19541
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217