collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What is the color of Set?...  (Read 196 times)

Offline Detetive

What is the color of Set?...
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:09:33 pm »
Em Hotep! i will make a order of a Set statue on january...im thinking to order a statue of Set all red...but ive seen him in different colors...if someone more experienced could tell me what is his original color i would be very happy...cuz im still kinda confused about his color...ive seen black, red and brown as his color of skin...
☥ Dua Set, Dua Yinepu ☥

Offline TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Re: What is the color of Set?...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:37:58 pm »
One of Set's epithets is the Red Lord.  Gods in general were said to have a skin made of gold. 

Set's hair is sometimes depicted red in some statues or in some modern drawings.

I have seen some animal form statues painted red.  Red is Set's primary color. 
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het her Wepwawet her Sekhmet-Mut her Ra

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:24:23 am »
Em Hotep! i will make a order of a Set statue on january...im thinking to order a statue of Set all red...but ive seen him in different colors...if someone more experienced could tell me what is his original color i would be very happy...cuz im still kinda confused about his color...ive seen black, red and brown as his color of skin...

Em hotep nefer, Detetive!

It really depends upon what attributes of Set's character are being evinced, and where/when.

For instance, at the Persian Period temple of Hebet (Hibis) on the second register of the western wall of Hypostyle N's northernmost bay, Set, shown in falcon-headed and winged zooanthropomorphic form, is painted blue. The color blue demonstrates His nature as "Lord of the Heavens" and positively connects Him to the myriad Heru-Gods and the chief resident of the temple, Amun-Re of Hebet.

Silver is sometimes associated with Set on account of His confederate Nemty's "skinning" incident sometimes roped-into The Contendings of Heru and Set, and on account of the fact that Set is known from the Pyramid Texts (Recitations 483 and 510 the Pyramid Texts of King Pepi I; see also James P. Allen, The Pyramid Texts, Second Edition, Writings from the Ancient World No. 23 (Atlanta, SBL Press, 2005), pp. 166, 178; and Herman Te Velde, Seth, God of Confusion: A Study of His Role in Egyptian Mythology and Religion (Leiden, Brill, 1967), pp. 43 - 50) to have given birth to Djehuty (Thoth), or alternatively "just" the Lunar Disc, from His crown by means of the Eye of Heru. (This is where Djehuty's epithets of "Motherless," "The Cutter/Sharp," and "Son of the Two Lords" come from.)

Silver (and it's "flat" counterpart, white) is representative of "light" across the board, including solar light. Any deities associated with solar or lunar light (of which Set is both) can be represented in silver/white.

In addition to all Gods being considered gold-skinned as Tahekerut already mentioned -- which is a matter briefly discussed in The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor -- Set has a unique relationship with the metallic substance on account of being the Lord of Nubt, or "Gold-Town," in addition to His evident involvement in royal cult from Early Dynastic times. Like localized forms of Hathor (namely, She of Mefkat and She of what is now Timna in Israel [I can't recall its ancient name circa the Ramesside Period]), Set also gets compounded associations with copper, "the red metal," on account of it being A.) the substance of the dšrt-crown of Lower Egypt, and B.) a commodity extracted from areas He (and Hathor) were thought to reside.

Many substances and colors are associated with each Netjer(et). There is no one color, and no one substance, exclusive to this or that Netjer(et).

I said all that to say this:

The “ultimate appearances” of the Gods were not known to Ancient Egyptians any more than they can be known to us, and the Ancient Egyptian answer to this mystery was a beautiful and imaginative one: they presented the Gods in many different hues, created images of Them in many different substances, showed Them in many different forms, and filled their tombs and temples with colors upon colors.

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:26:02 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Tjemsy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:20:29 am »
Em hotep, friend! -henu-

My favorite depiction of Set is with a black head, brown skin, and red hair, but I have many different images of him. I have one painting where he is in a sort of "anthro form" with all-black skin, one statue with a red head and brown skin, and one all-black Sha or "Set Animal." These are just a few possibilities. I am sure that whatever works best for you will work for Netjer. <3
Tjemsy - "Two Red Ones"

Sat Sekhmet her Set
Meryt Heru-wer, Bast, Wepwawet, Taweret, Nebthet,
 & Nefertem-Imhotep

Offline Gezausenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:15:34 am »
Em hotep, friend!

As others have stated, there are many colors associated with Papa Set, or many colors He can appear as--but at the end of the day, I think that whatever color you choose for your statue is between you and Him. <3 Pick something you both like.

Senebty,
Gezausenu.
Free services for Papa Set and Mama Sekhmet will always be offered to anyone who asks. Please e-mail me at gezausenu@gmail.com if you need anything. Ever. <3

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »
I typically associate red with Set, but when he appears to me personally, he is not red and does not have red hair or anything.  I think for me it is maybe similar to an aura?  Perhaps, although I do not see him physically as red, his aura might be!  I don't think that helped you very much though, lol!
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2846
  • stats Total Posts: 281550
  • stats Total Topics: 18961
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 106
  • stats Most Online: 217