collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 55
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Personality and Parents  (Read 205 times)

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
Personality and Parents
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:50:45 pm »
Em hotep everyone,

I was thinking: in religions from which we have conceptions of Parent deities, there are usually some patterns in the children of each deity, as there is in candomblé.
I know some things can be VERY shallow, but it's fun to think about it anyway. So: have you noticed some specific characteristics of children of each Name?
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
For short: Hepet or Hepetwi
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Personality and Parents
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »
I find that can be the case in only the most generic sense, and there are exceptions.  Beloveds also have an influence.  but more than that, simple life experiences do!  there are so many layers of nuance, it's not really possible to pinpoint X personality trait = Y Parent.  Mind you, many members still have fun and play with the idea.  We guess soon to be divined line ups.  We might say that some celebrity might be a child of a particular name.  I have fun saying what fictional characters might have which Parents.  But it has to be in fun, and not restricting someone or making someone feel bad for anything.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:27:54 pm »
I completly agree with you, Ankhetbast!
As I said, it is fun to think about it. Each person are an entire universe, so we cannot generalize as an intention to make the person be JUST THAT! I'm asking really for fun.
There are patters, but they are not rules.
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
For short: Hepet or Hepetwi
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Online Djehutyendy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:53:04 pm »
Em hotep!

I know I'm being a party pooper here but I admit that discussions like this make me uncomfortable, even if it is just for fun. There was a time that I didn't feel like I was a "good enough" child of Djehuty because I didn't have similar traits as other children of Djehuty. I know how these types of conversations have the potential to make people feel excluded.

In hindsight, I know how silly it was that I felt like an imposter child of Djehuty, but the feelings I had were real. Now I know that our gods are SO big and each Name has many varying traits and qualities. And traits of one Name will likely overlap with another Name, making it even more difficult to separate certain qualities. I think that if a handful of children of a specific Name have similar traits, that is more of a coincidence than anything. Correlation does not equal causation.

And of course, there are so many other aspects of our individual lives that influence our personality. Yes our Parent(s) also impact our lives, but how They impact it is deeply personal and specific to each person.

Our gods influence our lives, but they aren't the only thing that makes us who we are. RPDs are not like taking a personality test.

Senebty,
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Fundraising Event Coordinator
Fedw diviner for Djehuty
Blog

Online Djehutyendy

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:06 pm »
Em hotep!
I just wanted to mention quick that I am not trying to discourage conversations about "personalities and Parents." What I have found to potentially cause some hurt feelings is conversations about "personality patterns and Parents." And I was mostly just wanting to mention this in case others come across conversations like this and might also feel excluded like I have in the past.

I do apologize if I came off too blunt. I have been sick these last few days and my brain is foggy, therefore I am sorry if I was sounding too critical <3

Senebty!
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb

Fundraising Event Coordinator
Fedw diviner for Djehuty
Blog

Offline S'ashasenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:17:32 pm »
I have to say, I have thought about this as well, particularly before my divination.  I think it's natural to want to find connection, not only to others, but also with ourselves, and how we relate to the world - and then the potential post-divinations that will connect us to parents, beloveds, and siblings.  When I was a beginner I looked for specific traits as well, to see if there were any pre-connections I could make.  However, what I have realized is that there really are no predictors, due to the diverse mix of parents and beloveds, our individual personalities, and life experience.  What I have also realized, which didn't occur to me at the time, is that there can be different aspects of a Name that may show up for certain people than for others.  For instance, my form of Bast is Bast the Devourer, whereas others who have Bast as a parent might get the Invisible Paw.  Then there are the differences between having a Name as a parent, versus as a beloved, which can also have an impact!  It's interesting to think about, but all the possibilities can make your brain hurt!!
S'ashasenu (Asha)
"Two Are Many" or "Two Multiply/Make Many"

Sat Bast her Amunet, and Meryt Set
"Stay in the light, princess."

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2846
  • stats Total Posts: 281548
  • stats Total Topics: 18960
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 106
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything