Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Newbie Questions Thread  (Read 328 times)

Offline Nyssa

Newbie Questions Thread
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:52:34 am »
Heya guys!  Em hotep!

So, I've got some questions that don't really belong in the "Kemetic Q&A" Forum, since they're more about general cultural things I'm noticing about this forum and it's users.  SO...figured I'd start a thread about it in the Welcome/Newbie Introductions forum.  Here's some of my questions, any other folks feel free to add their own!

1. LOTS of people seem to have super cool Egyptian usernames.  Did they have those names before coming here?  Were they given as Shemsu names, or did they come up with the names on their own?

2. I've spotted signatures that say variations of "Self Care Sekhmet Supporter" or "Self Care Yinepu Advocate"...what does that mean?  Is it like...an inside joke in the community?

3. What other places does the Kemetic Community enjoy interacting with each other?  Are they active on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media?

4. Is there a place designated for lighthearted discussion, banter, and jokes with other community members on this forum?  I have some funny Kemetic memes I think would be fun to share.

5. (This one's for the mods) Out of curiosity, why is it that the size limit for images in the signature is "no greater than 1x1 pixels" (aka, nonexistent)?  Is it a server issue?  Would it overload the site?  Or is it just to keep things looking neat and tidy?

I apologize if there's a place for these kinds of threads and I just didn't realize it.  Just had a lot of questions and wasn't sure where to ask them.  ^_^"
Newbie | Drawn to Yinepu | Also Worships the Horned God |

Eager to Learn!

Offline Shediwi-Itw

• Shemsu
Re: Newbie Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 11:34:56 am »
1. Those are our Shemsu names, we receive them as part of our RPD. The RPD is a ritual some people undergo after graduating the beginners course and being Remetji for awhile.
2. There is actually a thread on this somewhere around here but basically it’s a way of raising awareness about the importance of selfcare by holding ourselves accountable/dedicating it to a deity from my understanding. Sekhmet is very associated with healing so many choose to dedicate it to Her.
3. We have a wonderful unofficial Discord server with both serious conversation and lots of laughs!
https://discord.gg/8R2ghE
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:44:58 am by Shediwi-Itw »
Daughter of Ra and Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Bast and Hethert-Sekhmet.
Hail to thee, Great Ra! Lord of the thrones of the Earth!
Self-Care Sekhmet Supporter
Profile picture is by BelugaLu on DeviantArt.

Offline Ituiemhat

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:01 am »
Em hotep, Nyssa! All very good questions, tbh. I feel like a majority of us have to pick up these nuances as one interacts more with the forums, but this will be a lot more clear. :D

1) A majority of the Egyptian usernames that you see here are given as Shemsu names- a name bestowed upon the individual taking the vows of Shemsuhood. I have seen a few folks join the forums with similar looking names, however, but it's usually a safe bet that whoever has a name of that type is, or was at one point, a Shemsu of the House.

2) This is a question I have been asking myself, actually, and just haven't delved into searching for the answer yet. I know that there is a large amount of folks and Names (Gods) that are part of our community that are big proponents for self care, such as Sekhmet, Yinepu, and Hethert. :)

3) Places where individuals are active may vary. I have seen members on Wordpress, Tumblr, Twitter, and other social sites. I'd try looking through tags or asking members if they are members of sites, if they are comfortable with sharing. Some may have links available in their signatures.

4) There is! We actually have an active Discord server, which you can join using this link: https://discord.gg/8R2ghE

5) For this one, I'm not a mod, but I think I saw mention that this was due to bandwidth issues from back in the day! You'd have to check in with a mod to confirm, of course. :D

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me or a mod if you would like to discuss anything further. Good luck!

Senebty,
Emhat

Edit: Oops, saw Shediwi answered before I could submit! Sorry, sib. ;w;
”My Two Fathers are at the Prow”

☀️ Child of Ra and Set ☀️
Beloved of Djehuty, Renenutet, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Hethert, and Heru-Wer
𓍹 𓁛 𓁣 𓁟 𓆗 𓃧 𓁴 𓅃 𓍺

Online Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:05 am »
Em hotep Nyssa!

1.  Our Shemsu names were given to us by our respective divine Parents, via the Nisut (aus) as a part of our transition into full member or Shemsu status.

2.  Self-care advocates dedicate their own self-care practice to a particular Nerjeru.  I also find they are good at encouraging others to practice self-care.

3.  Pretty much any social media platform.

4.  I’m not sure on this one.  All Things Kemetic kinda makes sense I guess?

5.  My understanding is that no images should be imbedded anywhere, signature or otherwise.  Believe it or not, some people are still on dial-up, and others of course are using cellular data.  Images can severely bog down pages loading.  If you’d like to share an image, it’s best to put it on a photo sharing platform (I use Flickr myself), and share a link.

Senebty!

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Nyssa

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:15:43 pm »
Thank you all for the help!  I really appreciate having multiple answers so my brain can see and process the information more solidly through different deliveries!  You're all super awesome!   :D

Quick Question:
Edit: Oops, saw Shediwi answered before I could submit! Sorry, sib. ;w;

Is "sib" short for "sibling"?  Is that what we are when it comes to Kemetic practitioners, or is that more of a general sentiment about all people being related in some distant way?   :)
Newbie | Drawn to Yinepu | Also Worships the Horned God |

Eager to Learn!

Online Tawa'ubastmut

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:52 pm »
Often those of us that share a parent refer to each other as siblings. :)  There are other cases as well, but here we are all one big family!
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Sau Apprentice ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising PR ☥
www.ChildofBast.com

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:39 pm »
If we share Beloveds we also often call each other cous/cousin.  For example, Ra'awyserqet has Serqet as a Mother, and I have Serqet as a Beloved - so I view them as a cousin. 
Khepera's sunlight makes me live
Daughter of Khepera, beloved of Djehuty and Serqet-Aset

The Sky at Dawn

Online Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:34:00 pm »
Often those of us that share a parent refer to each other as siblings. :)  There are other cases as well, but here we are all one big family!

In addition to what my dear sister-in-Bast said, we are all considered children of Ma’at and Tem.  So in that respect we’re all siblings. 

sat Bast her Hekatawy-Alexandros, meryt Serqet-Aset, Yinepu-Wepwawet, her HetHert-Sekhmet.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:16 am »
I think using sib also came from us Jackal kids calling each other sabsib for the alliteration. sAb is the Middle Egyptian word for jackal, and sib covers the gender spectrum.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

* Most Recent Topics

topic Prayers for baby
[[PUBLIC] Prayer Requests]
Capra
Today at 10:37:55 am
topic Greetings
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Arienihethert
March 20, 2019, 04:38:28 pm
topic Newbie here
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Arienihethert