collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: LGBT+ Support  (Read 669 times)

Offline meskhenet

LGBT+ Support
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:58:26 am »
Em Hotep!

I'm about to get a little personal here, but I would love to meet some people who might have had similar experiences.

So, to clarify, I'm AFAB (assigned female at birth). Ever since I was younger, I had always been a more masculine child. I had never fit in with the female gender or those stereotypes, especially as I grew older. When I was 15, I started to question my gender and experiment with new identities. And then when I was 17, I finally knew I was a male.

When I was starting back into Kemeticism, I was worried about whether there would be prejudice against transgender folk like myself. But as I've grown and gotten closer and closer with the Netjer, I feel like I have learned so much about them. The Netjer with which I connect with (Sutekh, Sobek, and Yinepu) have been nothing but accepting of this growth. I even learned about Meskhenet, who I didn't even know was a Netjer until very recently. I feel like I've gotten to know her as of late especially because of what feels like my rebirth into the world. I feel like she's been a part of my transition to help my new true self find myself into the world, and that she has guided me to self-acceptance and self-love.

This doesn't have to be a forum in which people respond and share their own experience. By all means, you can if you feel comfortable with it. I just wanted to share my experience and maybe find other people who had experienced similar things. I know with other religious practices, it's rather difficult to find others like myself.

Much thanks!
Senetby
Meskhenet/Alfred
A young Kemetic who is still learning about himself and his connection with the Netjer. I'm strictly Kemetic.
-----
Sutekh, Sobek, and Yinepu

Offline Temseniaset

• Sema Kau Bak
  • Shemsu-Ankh
Re: LGBT+ Support
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:34:23 am »
While I don't have first hand experience in anything you have gone through, I have witnessed and supported those who have.  Which means I don't know anything.

I am straight and CIS but I am an ally, know that you will have a strong support system here.  Now I will step aside for those to share their stories.
Senebty
Temseniaset,
Sat Aset Serqet
Meryt Wesir Sokar, Yinepu Wepwawet, Khepra, Heru Sa Aset, Ra
Fedw diviner

Offline Arienihethert

• Tawy Bak
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:46:11 am »
Our gods and our community are the most accepting I've found. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but please feel free to reach out to a priest if you have any concerns.

Look out the window. And doesn't this remind you of when you were in the boat, and then later that night you were lying looking up at the ceiling, and the water in your head was not dissimilar from the landscape, and you think to yourself Why is it that the landscape is moving but the boat is still?

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:20:59 am »
Em hotep *henu*

I won't talk about the Gods, because They have always accepted me as I am. However I'll talk about Their children who have been very kind to me.

For me, I came to the House calling myself female; I was assigned female at birth and it had always sat wrong with me to call myself female, but...I'd never known any other way.
Right around the time I joined, I started heavily questioning that acceptance. I started researching and found a whole lot of terms, none of which fit perfectly. Right up until I was a Shemsu, when I found the term "gender fluid". I was so excited and I told the boyfriend of that time about it and how much I wanted to dress more masculine and feel more like myself rather than this awkward adult. And he crushed my excitement with his refusal to be around me in public if I wasn't a cis woman dressing like a cis woman. He "wasn't gay after all".

A year later, I met this awesome person named T and T made me so very happy and joyful that there was a non-binary person I'd met. To me they were so comfortable with themself and I couldn't help my jealousy at being able to truly be themself. (Thus my goofiness at that Retreat; I looked up to you so much that you were this shiny, awesome person I knew. And I, a very awkward Ra'awy trying to be something I wasn't.)
About two or three years later, I went to Retreat and met a very wonderful, amazing, awesome person named A. They made me feel comfortable enough to quietly come out as gender fluid. I had left the man who didn't want me to be myself because of how other folks would perceive him. A talked about being gender fluid and I went "oh wow I am too!" And A asked what my pronouns were and started actually calling me by they/them. It was literally the best Retreat of my life; I finally got to be myself and folks were crazy supportive. (Although a few were shocked, after all I'd been showing up for a few years now...but I hadn't told anyone.) And having the pronouns in my heart be spoken aloud for me... Nothing better in the world.

And since then, this has been one of the most supportive communities for me when it comes to LGBT+ things. I am grateful for all the queer and gender queer folks I have come to know here and all the allies we have.

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Offline TiaLeopard

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:05 pm »
Em hotep

I’m very glad you feel welcome here ^.^ I’m a cis female and proud to be an ally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline meskhenet

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:45:54 pm »
And since then, this has been one of the most supportive communities for me when it comes to LGBT+ things. I am grateful for all the queer and gender queer folks I have come to know here and all the allies we have.

Reading this post was so very moving. I'm so glad that you have found people who love you and accept you. Thank you for being open about this experience, I appreciate hearing it. I'm so glad that there are other people who are super supportive and willing to have my back. Thank you very much!
A young Kemetic who is still learning about himself and his connection with the Netjer. I'm strictly Kemetic.
-----
Sutekh, Sobek, and Yinepu

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:45:46 pm »
Em hotep my fellow trans brother <3

I'm a transgender woman and I've been in here before I've been 100% sure about it.
And Netjer actually helped me and supported me, but not only them but also my Akhu <3 I know in life they'd probably would be very transphobic in life, but in the Duat they are very oppened and loving with me.
we have a lot of trans people aroundh ere from what I've seen, and also you can count with me to anything gender-religion related with you'd like to!

Oh and by the way, there's a Goddess that is actually related to Sobek that would probably help you a lot with gender stuff: his mother, Nit.
She's one of the few Names that is said to be third-gender and also she have epithets like "She who is 2/3 male and 1/3 female" or "the mother of mothers and the father of fathers". She's amazing and she helps me a lot with my transgender questions <3

Senebty,
Hepetwi
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
For short: Hepet or Hepetwi
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Shemsu Liaison

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
LGBT+ Support
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:52:02 pm »
Em hotep,

There is plenty of open-mindedness, acceptance, and support for us here in this community.

I am another individual who wandered into this House as an uncomfortable AFAB that eventually met awesome folks, such as T and Ra’awy, and other very accepting members, who helped me feel comfortable enough to be able come out as genderfluid after many years.

There are quite a few of our Gods that do not ascribe to a ‘binary’ gender system. Nit, as was mentioned previously, Mut, Amunet, Hapi, etc. Amunet is The Mother Who Acted as Father, and definitely seems to defy the binary view of gender in modernity. Even HetHert is described as 2/3rds male, 1/3rd female, iirc!

Senebty,
~Tabauamunet
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:53:37 pm by TabauAmunet »
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

Offline FelisDraconis

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 03:23:40 am »
Em hotep, I'm also a trans guy! And wow, I learned a lot in this thread. I didn't realize Nit, let alone Mut, Amunet, and Hapi were all outside the binary. HetHert too, huh? (Well, I'd actually seen an ancient depiction of Nit with uh, something down there, but I didn't really think twice about it, haha.) That's really awesome, thanks for sharing, Tabau!
Though to talk about being inclusive, I definitely think the House has done an excellent job of it. I know I'm just a beginner, but I've felt love from everyone I've met so far <3
Senebty,
Kaden

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 05:40:27 am »
Em hotep

Despite some identity confusion that occurred last year, I'm a bisexual trans man. Both of my Dads have been extremely supportive, Beloveds have been as well and I haven't had any issue from the community here either.

Also, if I remember correctly, Set has an epithet that could be viewed as gender non-conforming (at the very least). I forgot what it was, unfortunately so I will have to look it up again at some point and get back to y'all. There was also that thing with him & Heru-sa-Aset.

Senebty,
Bawy
Son of Set & Heru-wer
Beloved of Ptah & Wepwawet-Yinepu

Offline TabauAmunet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 05:43:03 am »
Also, if I remember correctly, Set has an epithet that could be viewed as gender non-conforming (at the very least). I forgot what it was, unfortunately so I will have to look it up again at some point and get back to y'all.

Oooo, I would love to dig into this in regards to my Beloved (Bawy)! I get Them as very Set-heavy, so I’m curious. I look forward to seeing any sources you can eventually dig back up.
Senebty!
~Tabauamunet
Child of Mut-as-Amunet, beloved of Sekhmet-HetHert, Seshat-Nit-NebtHet, Bast, Amun-Min, Nefertem, and Bawy
Fedw diviner for Amunet/Mut

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2996
  • stats Total Posts: 288048
  • stats Total Topics: 19524
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217