collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 84
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Eschatology in Ancient Egypt?  (Read 433 times)

Offline Hunefer

• Remetj
Eschatology in Ancient Egypt?
« on: March 26, 2019, 05:29:47 am »
Em Hotep!

I'm curious if there is eschatologal views in Kemetic religion?

Many ancient civilizations have an explanation how the world will come to an end. I don't know if Ancient Egypt had that too.

Can you help me on this question?

Senebty!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:57:24 am by Hunefer »

Offline Capra

• Remetj
Re: Eschatology in Ancient Egypt?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
The only instance I know of is the following:

"In an important section of the Coffin Texts, the creator god Atum states that after millions of years of creation, he and Osiris would eventually return to 'one place', the undifferentiated condition prevailing before the creation of the world. This 'end of days' is more clearly described in the Book of the Dead within a dialog between Atum and Osiris. Within this conversation, Osiris mourns the fact that he will eventually be isolated in eternal darkness, while the god Atum comforts him by pointing out that he would join him so that just the two would survive when the world eventually reverts back to the primeval ocean from which all else arose. At this point, it is said that Atum and Osiris will take the form of serpents (symbolic of uniformed chaos) and there would be neither gods nor men to perceive them."

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/deathofgods.htm

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:27:55 am »
I answered a question about this once on tumblr which may be of interest to you:

http://bigbadjackal.tumblr.com/post/151885369185/other-religions-have-prophecies-like-ragnarok-and
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Hunefer

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:17:25 am »
Thank you very much!

It is really interesting

Offline Capra

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 04:09:42 pm »
A rather long quote from Maat: The Moral Ideal In Ancient Egypt by Maulana Ndabezitha Karenga:

As Owens (1972:48) has pointed out in the Encyclopedia
of Philosophy, the concept of "End" (eschaton) in eschatology contains two possible meanings.
First, it can mean the end of each individual human life. Second, it can mean the end of the world-or more narrowly, of the human race. In the first, the individualistic, sense eschatology is an account of the destiny that awaits each person after death. In the second, the cosmic or social sense, it is a description of a goal (telos)in which history will be fulfilled. This goal may be of either this-worldly or an otherworldly kind.

Owen goes on to note that it is possible to have one doctrine of eschatology without the other. His example is Plato who believed in immortality of the soul and judgment after death but did not believe in a purpose or end of history.
Certainly, the ancient Egyptians had an eschatology in the personal sense of the word. As noted in Chapter III, it is they who introduced the idea of post-mortem judgment to the world, including to Judaism and Christianity (Griffiths,
1991; Brandon, 1967) . So in Owen's personal sense of eschatology as "an account of the destiny that awaits each person after death," Kemetic eschatology of judgment, justification and immortality is the paradigmatic eschatology.

Moreover, there are a few texts which attest to  Kemetic eschatology of the second type, i.e., the cosmic sense of the world's end. The locus classicus of this conception is in the "Dialog between Atum and Osiris" in Chapter 175 of the Book of Coming Forth. The key passage in the text says:

And I (Atum, the Creator is speaking) will destroy all that I have created and the earth will return to the primordial water, the Flood, as it was. I will remain alone with Osiris after having changed into other forms . . . .

This is clearly an end-of-world conception and although it is rare and not a radical apocalypticism as in Zoroastrianism
or Christianity, it meets minimum criteria for an eschatological conception. Schott has made an important contribution to the collection of similar materials in his
article "Altagyptische Vorstellung vom Weltende" (1929).

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:37:35 pm »
To put it short,there are many creation stories, many contradictory, and yet all are true.
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2933
  • stats Total Posts: 285949
  • stats Total Topics: 19388
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything