collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 82
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Theodicy - The problem of evil  (Read 345 times)

Offline Hunefer

• Remetj
Theodicy - The problem of evil
« on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:03 am »
Em Hotep,

I have a question about Theodicy which is the religious explanation of evil in the world.

What is the Kemetic explanation of evil in the world?

Are the Netjeru not always good? If yes why are they not helping innocent people from getting hurt?

A short answer is also satisfying.

Thanks in advance..!

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Theodicy - The problem of evil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:53:26 am »
Em Hotep,

Are the Netjeru not always good? If yes why are they not helping innocent people from getting hurt?

As Emhat answered to your other question, the Kemetic gods are not omnipotent.  That is a claim made for the monotheistic religions' deities.  Also, there is free will.  If someone is bent towards isfet (ill-will), then all their actions will engender more of the same.

It is only when we all work together with the Netjeru's help that isfet can be lessened.  Will humanity evolve to desire peace and harmony?  May the Gods help us to so do.

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Ituiemhat

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:17:41 am »
Ooh, another great topic! I hope you don’t mind if I contribute some additional thoughts, dear Neheh. :3

In Kemeticism, we can attribute “evil” or ill will in the form of the /s/n/a/k/e, the Uncreated, or the broader definition of “isfet.” Commonly such things are the subject of execrations, which can be likened to things such as banishments in other practices.

As for the Netjeru being purely good or bad, the idea of Their “alignments” are much more complex than “X Name is good and pure” or “X Name is bad and nasty.” For explainations on this, I like to refer to my Father, Set, Who does things that are scary, even violent at times... but overall He is a champion of Ma’at like the other Gods.

The idea of preventing harm to innocents is another very complex topic in my experience. There are times They can, and will intervene- I have had such experiences, even. Otherwise, there may be lessons to be found in such events or, because They are not omnipotent, unable to prevent everything. There is a thread somewhere where I believe that this is discussed, and that things such as illness may be regarded as a form of isfet, but it can be one that is not self made- IE you aren’t a bad person if you get sick, sickness just “is.”

Netjer does what Netjer can. But They are also selective in what will be an appropriate influence, and limited in Their displays of influence, despite being much, much grander than our own. ;)

Senebty,
Emhat

”My Two Fathers are at the Prow”

☀️ Child of Ra and Set ☀️
Beloved of Djehuty, Renenutet, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Hethert, and Heru-Wer
𓍹 𓁛 𓁣 𓁟 𓆗 𓃧 𓁴 𓅃 𓍺

Online Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:20:31 pm »
There is a good discussion on this topic in "Ma'at: A Study in Classical African Ethics" by Maulana Karenga. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/35278642_Maat_the_moral_ideal_in_ancient_Egypt_a_study_in_classical_African_ethics
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Beloved of Heru Sa Aset

Sau Apprentice

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 08:24:39 am »
If you’re interested in further reading, there is also a sizeable book dedicated to the subject: “The Question of Evil in Ancient Egypt” (GHP Egyptology) by Mpay Kemboly
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Hunefer

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 09:20:00 am »
I think my main mistake was to think that the Gods are omnipotent like monotheistic religions do believe. The Kemetic explanation of Theodicy resolves this problem completely. Very satisfying, thank you..!

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:30:38 pm »
That can be a very hard habit to break...don't worry, it will come to you with time.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2914
  • stats Total Posts: 284274
  • stats Total Topics: 19220
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 108
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything