collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 68
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Question regarding Predestination  (Read 458 times)

Offline Hunefer

• Remetj
Question regarding Predestination
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:04:27 am »
Em Hotep,

what does Kemetic teachings say about predestination?

Does the Netjeru already know what we are going to do and how we will going to act in future?

How much of our lifes do the Netjeru control really?

And the last question: How much freedom do we have?

Thank you in advance  :)

Offline Ituiemhat

• Shemsu
Re: Question regarding Predestination
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:58:03 am »
Em hotep, Hunefer- and goodness, I reread which board this was on like 12 times, and I'm pretty sure I'm not accidentally posting in AtN during the morning hours, again. :p

I think that first and foremost, the thing to note is that our Gods, as great and wonderful as They are, are not omnipotent beings in the sense that some other figures of divinity may posses, such as the power to see all, know all, at any point in time. Personally, this is one of the things that appealed to me concerning Kemeticism, as the idea of a truly omnipotent god just didn't jive with me, personally (which isn't to say it's a negative for those that do!).

Veering into a bit of UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) territory, I think that we always have our freedoms. Do I believe that Netjer can guide us and influence our lives? Unmistakably, yes. Do I think that They know what we are going to do in the future? Perhaps. I'd like to think that as humans, we are a bit younger and easier to read for Them to make some very specific "big picture" educated guesses about the things that we will do and how we will grow, but overall we retain our free will- think about how that very same will is put on the scale before Judgement in the Hall. :D If They kinda controlled everything that we do, I don't think that such a thing would be necessary.

I hope this helps and gives a little food for thought. c: Very fascinating topic to think on and start the day!

Senebty,
Emhat
𓁛 Sat Ra her Set 𓁣
☀️ "My Two Fathers Are At The Prow" ☀️
Meryt Djehuty, Renenutet, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Hethert, her Heru-Wer
Fedw Diviner ║ Sau Apprentice ║ Shemsu Liaison

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:17:54 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Hunefer! ;D

I answered a similar question on a very old thread here in the "Public" end of the fora, which cites historical Egyptian literary examples. You may wish to read through it here and chase-down the primary source material referenced. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »
Personally, I don't believe there is much of a predestination concept here...not when Zep Tepi and the chance for renewal is something that happens over and over again.
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline NebtKhutMau

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
I have studied astrology for many years, including Hellenistic astrology which has its roots in Egypt. I am versed in both Tropical and Sidereal techniques which include the phases of the Fixed Stars, very much used in ancient Egypt along with lesser known techniques such as Primary Progressions, different from Secondary Progressions , both of which were used by Hellenistic astrologers who had their roots in ancient Egyptian practices.

I have found that when the planets align, the things indicated by them will happen. How they happen and to what extent is determined first by the condition of the planets in the birth chart: what they signify,whether they are strong in house or sign, what aspects they give and/or receive. The aspects can be beneficial or harmful.

The individual has choice to act or not to act. The individual can choose against their ‘nature’...to forgo something or to accept it i.e the native wants to accept X but forgoes or doesn’t want X but accepts. It seems to me, having studied my chart and others in depth, that people have events when indicated and choose according to the nature of their chart.

In this case we are very predestined although certain charts give a greater latitude: middling charts as they are known give a middling destiny whereas stronger charts make ones destiny/fate more inevitable.

As the Neters are Functions rather than Persons (in the way Greek gods are ‘persons’ having ‘personalities’) the Neters via their function/characteristics most closely embodied in one’s chart color or drive one’s life.

For example, a chart showing a strong sun, well placed by sign and house, receiving beneficial aspects from Mars, also well placed by sign and house could be said to be close to the Neters Horus & Sekhmet. Their life would also be colored by the attributes of these Neters. 

Astrology is a very subtle science and done correctly and in depth can reveal much. We still have free will choice of yes or no. However the pitfall is always our own nature: do we follow or do we not, and if so, which one is correct? Sometimes what seems a good choice is actually a disaster. We may learn through it, but that is the hard way. Has our spirit decided to take the harder path? These are metaphysical questions which many have pondered and cannot be answered with certainty this side of theRiver.

Offline ubenetsenu

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:44 pm »

As the Neters are Functions rather than Persons (in the way Greek gods are ‘persons’ having ‘personalities’) the Neters via their function/characteristics most closely embodied in one’s chart color or drive one’s life.

i don’t think this is true at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline NebtKhutMau

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 05:35:50 am »
Certainly Isis, Osiris, Nepthys, Set and Horus the Younger have more personal stories and emotions, in common with Greek, Roman, Sumerian, Hindu Gods, but , perhaps just to me, the other gods of Egypt are powers operating in the universe and the world. Although Sekhmet is goddess of war and passion, there are no love affair stories in Her history as there are for Aphrodite, or  Inanna for example. She is more closely aligned with the energies of Minerva/Athena among Greeks but even that Goddess chose sides in the
Trojan war and contended with fellow gods.

Perhaps I see the Gods/Goddesses  of Egypt as powers because of their correlation to planets and stars. Sekhmet can be said to be Venus as the Morning Star which is suggested by the papyrus Destruction of Mankind as she is sent ‘down’ as Hathor, suggesting a descent, and setting foot as Sekhmet. Venus, when’s switching from beautiful Evening Star phase to Morning Star phase, does appear to come down quickly from the height of  the night sky. When it reappears in the morning sky it is very bright, as supposed to the first appearance of very pale in the evening sky. The Mayans also called the Morning Venus the Wasp Sting and went to war under that phase.

Either way, I see them as operant forces rather than persons, although they can manifest personally, but that is probably more my vision than the entire reality. However, when the forces manifest, they shape lives and those forces are written and unreel in our life over time. The forces are there, we can answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ in every situation. Are we predisposed to answer one way or another? I think we are, but we can go against our own predisposition if we choose.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 01:57:23 pm »
Perhaps I see the Gods/Goddesses  of Egypt as powers because of their correlation to planets and stars. Sekhmet can be said to be Venus as the Morning Star

'Fraid not. Venus in Egyptian religions is one of a great many celestial incarnations of Heru, called Seba-Djai, loosely translated as "The Star Which Wanders [lit. 'Crosses']," referential to the Eye of Heru. It is a male entity, not a Goddess.

With the exception of Sebeg (Mercury, regarded as an incarnation of Set) up until the very end of Egyptian Antiquity, the other planets known to Egyptian peoples (which were not many) were diverse, individualized incarnations of various Heru-Gods.

If you have German skills and can manage to gain access to it, for more contextual information on the subject, I recommend you read Rolf Krauss' article “Nähere Mitteilungen über Seth/Merkur und Horusauge/Venus im grossen Tagewählkalender,” SAK Bd. 27 (1999), pp. 233-254.

ETA: Another fantastic series of texts to look into on this and similar subjects is Neugebauer and Parker's Egyptian Astronomical Texts volumes, and Emile Chassinat's Edfou volumes.

It's important to understand, too, that these were regarded as being among the decan-stars, and not as planets as we understand them to be. The classifications devised between Egyptian, Classical (that is, Graeco-Roman), and Medieval/Early Modern astronomers could not be more different.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:25:06 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2934
  • stats Total Posts: 286160
  • stats Total Topics: 19404
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217