Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Why be named?  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Sekhmetyanu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Why be named?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 12:39:27 pm »
How does it all work to take the vows, exactly? I feel compelled to take them. I know you get divined, and then you're name is already found? Then if you want you take the vows and you get named? Am I right? And not to sound cheap but would it cost extra, if it does I need to save up for that too.
  My LJ 
Sekhmet Greets (Me)
Sat Sekhmet-Mut.
 Meryt Bast, Aset-Serqet, Djehuty

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:24 pm »
Naming and vows are done in a community ceremony/celebration.  currently most of these are done online in a chat format, simply because we have people from all over the world attending.  It is fairly simple, with the Nisut declaring to everyone the new names and their meanings, and then leads the group in a "do you pledge" oath.  Then celebration and cake for everyone!
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 02:11:34 pm »
Quote from: Metitaitui
Oh and I agree with Kheret as well but I think both my feelings to towards the gods and the community both played a huge part in it. While I wanted to serve Netjer first if I didn't like the community here I wouldn't have gone through Shemsu vows but instead would have made my own vows.  

Good point, Meti - the community here played a big part in my decision to stay on in the first place as a Remetj, and then move on to Shemsu as well.  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 02:15:53 pm »
Quote from: Nya
How does it all work to take the vows, exactly? I feel compelled to take them. I know you get divined, and then you're name is already found?

Hotep Nya!  While your name is already known by your Parent(s), I don't think it's known by Hemet until after you take the RPD *and* decide to become Shemsu.  Might be a good question for the Ask The Nisut board.

Quote from: Nya
Then if you want you take the vows and you get named? Am I right? And not to sound cheap but would it cost extra, if it does I need to save up for that too.

No, it doesn't cost extra.  :)  As Padjai said, it's done in a large group and all Divined Remetj awaiting their names are then named together in the ceremony with the Shemsu vows at the end, usually the last Wednesday of the month if Hemet is ready.  It's always a big celebration, but be sure to bring your own cake.  ;)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Demaimuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 11:16:36 pm »
I'm curious by what you mean by treating the Divined Remetj possibility as separate from the decision to have RPD; they go hand in hand. Or do you mean that you aren't worrying about moving from Divined Remetj to Shemsu yet, you're still pondering the RPD itself?

Neither. I meant that the decision to have an RPD should be made without thinking about Shemsu vows. Thinking about Shemsu vows is only relevant after you've decided to have an RPD.
sat Bast her Hethert-Mut, meryt Aset-Serqet, Heru-wer, Djehuty.

Artist and writer.
Demai on Deviant Art
Demai on Medium

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:29 pm »
Quote from: mauvedragon
I'm curious by what you mean by treating the Divined Remetj possibility as separate from the decision to have RPD; they go hand in hand. Or do you mean that you aren't worrying about moving from Divined Remetj to Shemsu yet, you're still pondering the RPD itself?

Neither. I meant that the decision to have an RPD should be made without thinking about Shemsu vows. Thinking about Shemsu vows is only relevant after you've decided to have an RPD.

Em hotep, mauvedragon! *henu*

That makes sense. You have to make sure you are quite satisfied with the way the Rite of Parent Divination turned out before you commit to Shemsu vows. If you doubt your divination, then you are going to have difficulty being comfortable making Shemsu vows to serve the deities Who stepped forward in that rite. :) Good point.

To answer your original question: For me, there was only one thing that could have stopped me from becoming  a Shemsu as soon as possible, to be honest: if Wepwawet were not at least my Beloved. But He is, in fact, my Father, and the first to come forward for me. As soon as I heard my Parents and Beloveds, I knew They were all so absolutely right. I had known that I wanted to devote a substantial amount of worship to Wepwawet before doing the Rite of Parent Divination and taking Shemsu vows; when I was divined as His daughter, I knew that nothing would make me happier than being His follower. The same with Sekhmet-Mut - though I did not know She would be my Mother, rather than Beloved, and I did not expect the syncretization. I was satisfied with my experiences within the beginners' class, and, having met Hemet and several Kai-Imakhiu in person, was satisfied that the folks within the House are generally good folks. It just made sense, to me.

Becoming a Shemsu is something that's intensely personal, I think - but I think in general, there's two things that let you know you're ready for it:
* You want to serve your Parent(s) above all other gods.
* You want Kemetic Orthodoxy to be your primary religion.
When both of those sentences are true, then that's when Shemsu vows are right for you. Other things, such as love for your Parent(s), devotion to Netjer, anything like that - those are secondary, and those should be reasons for why those above two conditions are true. Without those two desires, there's not much reason to take Shemsu vows. I think if you look at the answers you get in this thread, you'll find that it all boils down to those two points. Maybe not so much the second one, as that one doesn't necessarily get so much attention because it's assumed - but definitely the first one.

Senebty!
Sobeq
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:50 am »
Quote from: mauvedragon
Quote from: Metitaitui
The great thing about the House though is that if at any time you find that it is no longer the place for you or if you find yourself being pulled somewhere else you can step down to Remetj or even leave entirely.

You can be released from those vows if necessary?

You can, and people do; I think the general consensus is that there's no point adhering to such vows if things have changed for you and you're no longer able to wear your Shemsu hat wholeheartedly.

However, I personally see taking Shemsu vows as roughly akin to getting married, and so "stepping down" from Shemsuhood is a bit like getting divorced: it's the right thing to do in some situations, but all the same, you probably shouldn't be getting married whilst thinking "I'm not sure about this, but oh well, if it doesn't work out there's always divorce!"

Which is why I'm still a divined remetj. :)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3005
  • stats Total Posts: 288140
  • stats Total Topics: 19536
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217