collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 86
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: I can’t communicate with the gods?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Omen

• Remetj
I can’t communicate with the gods?
« on: September 23, 2019, 12:24:53 am »
So I’m a new member here, took the beginners course a while back and did HoN rituals but quit after getting zero response of any kind.

Okay, I figured maybe rigid, formal ritual just wasn’t for me and kinda did my own thing, also getting zero communication from the gods. Then I just kind of forgot about the whole thing for a while.

But then I got a doctor, and it was very obviously Ra helping me out. All the signs pointed to him, i’d ask and then see his name. It was very clear.

So I give him an offering. No response. Well okay, I don’t expect a response for every little thing.

I start reaching out to other gods, thinking maybe my spell of radio silence is over. No response.

I give more little thank you’s to Ra. No response. A “you’re welcome” might be nice.

I straight up ask Ra if he’s going to be working with me again. No response. I figure that’s probably a no.

I figure Ra helped me once, maybe he’d help me again in exchange for something. Offerings, devotion... no response.

I straight up ask Netjer if anyone can even hear me. No response.

When I first discovered kemeticism I would ask and get signs that the gods were there. I’m not even getting that now.

I’m so [censored] depressed. What did I do? Did I piss off every god out there or what? Am I not worthy of a response? Am I deaf? Mute? That one time I was actually communicating with Ra, and then never again. I don’t get it. Do they not want to talk with me? Am I not persistent enough?

Sorry about the mini pity party over here. This has been going on for years.

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
Re: I can’t communicate with the gods?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:35:00 am »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:19:44 pm by Bawysudjawi »

Online Ituiemhat

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:44:09 am »
Em hotep, Omen!

I'm sorry that you've been having a difficult time connecting with the Gods. As Sudjawi said, this could be a matter of a fallow time- which happens to all of us on occasion for reasons like mental/physical health issues or imbalances, such as needing to focus on mundane matters- but there can also be a variety of other things affecting your experiences through the years.

On one hand, there could be the influence of you expecting a specific Netjer, or for Them to react or speak in a certain way, so it feels as if you are deaf or that they do not respond. I had this issue years ago when I was first working with Djehuty and Wepwawet, to the point that I didn't think They cared, but I had to learn to communicate with them. For many folks (and admittedly I am one of them, so my experiences will color my opinion), there is also an element of spiritual discipline that is outside offerings and requests. Netjer is autonomous, and will not work as simply as "insert coin offering for results." Taking time to calm the mind, accept any response without expectation, or learning discernment (beyond asking for signs) in how to separate your internal dialogue will help. This is easily said, but is a practice one always refines throughout their lifetime, so please do not fret if it doesn't work "right away!"

There are times where a Netjer will enter our lives for a brief time, to teach us something or help with something, and then step back. This is common and normal. I have personally experienced this (and am currently experiencing this!) with Sobek.

There are also simply times that a God will not respond to someone, and that's okay. There can be reasons for this beyond our knowing- I had this happen in regards to Bes back in the day. I thought we'd jive well and we didn't and that's cool! I found what I thought I would experience in a relationship with Bes through other means and experiences.

Ultimately, I can empathize with the frustration and mindset of someone looking for an answer and not feeling as if they are receiving a response from the divine. This is not a response to your questions easily given, as the solution is only something that you can find, but please take a breath and know that it's okay. Not all of Netjer hates you, I am confident. Continue to approach Them with respect, kindness, and an open mind, and I'm sure that you will find what you need.

I wish you luck in your journey, and hope this aids you in even some small way. Also, remember to be kind to yourself, too. Spirit is a lifetime process. <3

Senebty,
Emhat
𓄂
Sat Ra her Set
☀️ "My Two Fathers Are At The Prow" ☀️
Meryt Djehuty, Renenutet, Wepwawet-Yinepu, Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer her Bast
Fedw ║ The Twin Halls ║ Tarot

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:59:22 am »
Feeling like They aren’t responding or that you can’t hear Them is frustrating for sure. Emhat and Sudjawi both already said great stuff.

I can say from personal experience it could be like Emhat said; They ARE responding, but not in a way you recognize! I know when I was solo, I had reached out to Bast. I got NO response, as far as I could tell. Nothing. Silence. I made a few offerings to Her and felt ignored and rebuffed.

Imagine my surprise when I got my RPD and Bast showed up as my third Beloved! She was the last One of Netjer I would’ve expected, because She had never seemed to be hearing or responding to me, yet there She was, claiming me as one of Hers. So... what gives? Why no response before?

The thing is, looking back, She probably DID respond, just not in a way I was used to. Having Her as my beloved, I’ve had to learn to tune in to a different frequency than I was used to. She’s a lot more subtle than Sekhmet-Mut or Yinepu had been. So I would bet it’s a matter of learning to hear Them in a way you don’t expect. Or, as previously stated, it could simply be a fallow time, and focusing on the mundane may be what you need right now.

They do hear. If and when and how They respond though is hard to discern sometimes. I wish you luck!

Senebty,
Taswau
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:30:46 am by Taswauyinepu »
Meset Yinepu
☥ “The Journey of Yinepu" ☥
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
Fedw Diviner || Fundraising Team Member || Self Care Yinepu & Sekhmet-Mut advocate

Offline Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:06:06 am »
I have been sitting with my thoughts for a little bit and finally have a moment to put them down.

You know, no one comes to any god and instantly feels their presence or even discerns them from a starting point of completely normal modern human life. It takes a lot of time to build those relationships just like a human relationship. Developing one’s own discernment and practice as you get to know the gods is a journey.

But we also do go through fallow periods and crisis of faith like anyone else. There are also times where someone never develops the discern or simply takes them longer than others. All of this is perfectly fine. And never hearing the gods would not stop anyone from having those relationships or serving them or working with them.

I think a lot of us forget that in many many other religions people usually don’t hear from the god(s). We are lucky because we also have oracles and saq to help fill in that gap.

I guess my main point is that it’s ok not to hear them. As you continue to practice and grow that may change. The gods are there and are listening regardless.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Yabemyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:36:08 am »
Em hotep, Omen!

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration, and I certainly empathize with it. It can be immensely disheartening to not perceive the same signs of the gods' presence as other people do, especially when other people make it seem so easy. But believe me when I say: you have not pissed off the gods. (You would likely have very clear signs if you did!) You are not unworthy and you are not without the ability to communicate with gods. You are very much worthy and very much loved by your deities.

As others have said, it may be a fallow period -- everyone has them, and these periods have been recorded throughout history as well. Everyone has times where it feels like the gods aren't listening or are very far away. It is cyclical, like the seasons and the moon are. Others have already said a great deal more thoughtful information on this than what I can provide. All I can say about it is to be patient and endure it, and know that the gods still care even if it is not immediately obvious that they are.

It could also be a matter of having to sharpen your spiritual senses, as well. I am very much a beginner in this and am enduring my own periods of frustration with myself and my own perceived lack of progress, but it is something that takes tons and tons of practice. Something like meditation, sitting and clearing your mind and taking time to listen for the gods -- that can take months to get remotely good at. But it is very necessary, in my opinion, as often our minds are busy and full of chaotic thoughts and that can drown out our ability to hear the gods. They may also not give signs like we think of signs, and may not "speak" like we think of speaking - I usually feel their presence by a change in how I feel, like a positive answer makes me feel positive, happy feelings, and so on.

Take time to take care of yourself and reassure yourself that you are loved and you are worthy. You are not broken. You are not less than. You are wanted. Even if you feel like there is no answer, keep trying. The gods are listening, always.
YABEMYINEPU, meaning “presented to/by Yinepu.” (pronounced ee-YOB-em-yin-EHP-oo). Son of Yinepu-Wepwawet, Beloved of Djehuty and Hethert-Sekhmet.

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:31:17 am »
Honestly, I think the "god phone" is over rated and over emphasized in most forms of modern paganism. 

I don't think the ancients worried about it. The ancients prayed and made offerings to their ancestors, and the gods of their families and towns because that's what one did.  They believed in those gods and that the gods looked out for them, but I don't know that they expected a two-way dialogue the way so many of us do these days.

Keep doing what you're doing.  Pray.  Make offerings.  Talk to the gods.  They are there and They hear you.  You will see the benefit manifest in your life, but I don't think you need the two way dialogue.  And I think the people who do get the two-way dialogue are in no way more spiritual, happier, or more well adjusted than those who don't.  It's just a different experience.

Senebty,

Taji
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:52:32 pm »
Honestly, I think the "god phone" is over rated and over emphasized in most forms of modern paganism. 

I don't think the ancients worried about it. The ancients prayed and made offerings to their ancestors, and the gods of their families and towns because that's what one did.  They believed in those gods and that the gods looked out for them, but I don't know that they expected a two-way dialogue the way so many of us do these days.

Keep doing what you're doing.  Pray.  Make offerings.  Talk to the gods.  They are there and They hear you.  You will see the benefit manifest in your life, but I don't think you need the two way dialogue.  And I think the people who do get the two-way dialogue are in no way more spiritual, happier, or more well adjusted than those who don't.  It's just a different experience.

Senebty,

Taji
THIS. Perfectly worded and true.
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

Offline Storm

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 02:15:45 am »
Em hotep, Omen!

Forty-five years ago, when I started working with deities, I yearned for communication, just as you do. I thought I had good advice, though sadly I didn’t have access to the kind of wisdom you will read here in these forums. I meditated and I did visualization. I learned many forms of divination. I kept myself ‘clean,’ which in those days meant abstaining from marijuana. I trained in healing, and I exposed myself to situations, places, and rituals that I thought would be conducive to getting some kind of direct ‘message.’ Nothing.

Of course with all the talk around at the time, I assumed everyone but me was doing it, and that I was in some way abnormal, or a failure, or unworthy, or unwanted by the gods. Wrong! I was completely typical, but I didn’t know it. I was just an average seeker, an average devotee who was absolutely treasured by the gods, but who didn’t realize it at the time.

It was only after more than ten years of ‘trying’ that I pretty much let go and just accepted that it wasn’t going to happen, at least not according to my schedule or desires. But then something odd happened. I was climbing a steep hill in England with colleagues and, probably because I was unfit, I was struggling. I remember crying out for help, and I remember being answered - by the Heathen god Thor. It all began from there.

Thirty years on from that, I find I almost never talk about communication with gods now, because I don’t think it usually helps - not me nor anyone else. If I do talk about it, people get depressed or frustrated like I did during those first ten years (“It’s all very well for XXX,” I would say then, except now I’ve become the XXX). Or they become irrationally skeptical or even hostile. Or, more often than not, they simply find a way to disappear from my life. So I keep my (what are now daily) experiences to myself. I’m in no way better than anyone else, but I know I’m no longer typical, and being labeled a crackpot gets in the way of my helping anybody!

So in that case, why I am telling you all this? :) To say just four things really - largely what others have already said above, more eloquently than I ever could - but to assure you I’ve walked a long and similar road. Firstly, I do suggest trying to clear your mind of expectations - of what will happen, how it will happen, and with whom. It’s hard, I know, but there are many ways, some subtle, some obvious, that gods communicate, and hopes can get in the way. Secondly, please do have the confidence that you’re being heard and that you are absolutely worthy. Thirdly, whatever happens may take time, like in my case it took many years, and I couldn’t foresee when all my life circumstances would come together to make it the right time. And lastly, what others have written above is pure gold: please do take it to heart!

Senebty,
Storm
Fundraising team member.

Offline Setjezusenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 06:50:39 am »
Em Hotep! Everyone here has had some great advice. I can't necessarily help you with improving your ability to "hear" Them, since I'm not particularly good at communicating with the Unseen. But I did want to say that it's okay if you are not as good at that as it feels like everyone else is. It's easy to get the impression that everyone else is having casual conversations with the Names all the time, but I don't think that's really true. I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there like me for whom it's more like the Netjeru are yelling and frantically waving and I'm just hearing a whisper. Maybe it is something that improves over time, but there's also value in connection with them even if you don't get an obvious response. It probably doesn't mean they're upset with you, and I don't think you're at all alone and not getting frequent, obvious, and clear communication.
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet and Set, beloved of Heru-wer and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Tjesi

• Rev Ellen, Ordained Priest - Web Assistant
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:03:25 pm »
I joined the House in about 1995. And until about May 2017 had no form of contact with the gods. My relationships were based on a commitment to the religion and a theology that works for me.

It was definitely hard to hear everyone talking about what they'd heard from various Netjeru. Yet... I asked to be a priest anyway.

I asked to be a priest because being a priest is a job. And it would help the House and Hemet whom I love and for me at that time it was enough.

Once I became a priest I still had nothing that felt like a personal connection with Hethert. I knew I was Hers, but... words? Nothing.

Then I started creating a workshop for Wep Ronpet retreat. And I found my connection. I tell people I don't have a god phone. What I have is a god wii.

I don't get words. Or images. Or impressions of words. What I get is almost a kinesthetic feedback. I do something that seems like a good idea to me... and it becomes a process of co-creation with Hethert. It is an amazing sense of energy and creativity that is the most awesome experience for me.

In further exploration, I have found I do things differently than a lot of people. What they have isn't wrong. What I have isn't wrong. We're just different people with different brains and needs.

Comparing yourself to anyone else rarely works. People are different. You may be someone like me who doesn't get things the same way. It's not the gods denying you. It's figuring out how it works -for you-.

My story is a lot longer than what I've posted here and I'd be happy to email, PM, chat at my office hour ... or whatever... if you think it would help.

Much love,

Rev Ibi

Rev Tjesi
Tjeset Merut her Reshut net Hethert
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
meryt Wesir

Shemsu name: Awibemhethert

Self-Care Hethert Keeper

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 07:38:51 pm »
Even if you can't always hear them, it doesn't mean they can't hear you. 
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Seshenyraheruakhety

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:09 am »
Sometimes I just talk to Them, sometimes I just listen.

Sometimes They are silent, and I just sit in silence and meditate.

Sometimes in that silence I will get little blips of an image or a word.

And every once in a while *pop* there is a very loud message from one of Them, or a strong image. These are wonderful, and humbling to receive.

Don't underestimate the beauty of sitting in silence with Them though.

Everyone has a different relationship with Them, I hope that reading how others communicate with them helps. <3 
Seshenyra
"Of the lotuses of Ra-Heruakhety"
Daughter of Ra-Heruakhety, Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Omen

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 10:24:42 am »
Em hotep!

Sounds like you described fallow times. Happens to everyone from time to time. Here's a thing I read through a while ago when dealing with my personal fallow times that helped a bit.

https://www.roundtable.kemeticrecon.com/how-do-you-survive-fallow-time/ (some links are dead but the ones that are up are good)

Also, out of curiosity, how do you expect them to respond? You may be getting responses and just not noticing. Maybe a reading of some kind would be helpful? I can do a free tarot reading for you on the situation if you would like.

Senebty,
Bawy

Oof, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the link!

If it is just fallow times, well I don’t think I even need a reading. If the gods aren’t distracting me and letting me fix up my life on my own then i know what I have to do already.

If my life starts going good and I still need help I might take you up on that offer :P

Thanks so much

Offline Omen

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 10:35:44 am »
Thank you everyone for your responses. I’ve legit gone from feeling unloved to loved again because I realize they can hear me even if I can’t hear them.

My life is kind of chaotic at the moment so if they’re stepping back waiting for me to get my [censored] together I understand.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3061
  • stats Total Posts: 291588
  • stats Total Topics: 19816
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653
anything