collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 56
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: homemade natron faintly "fishy"  (Read 360 times)

homemade natron faintly "fishy"
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:13:02 pm »
Greetings and Peace,

A question for those who make homemade natron-

Did yours ever so slightly taste a bit like the ocean smells, faintly "fishy"? The salt I used isn't sea salt. I used Kosher salt. It's a little fishy when chewed. Finding it strange, wondering if others have had this result.

This was my first small batch, equal parts salt and baking soda. Made following instructions in the Kemetic Prayerbook.

Many thanks!
Bonnie

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: homemade natron faintly "fishy"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:27:59 pm »
I have not had that problem in the past when making natron, but I know of others who have, and if I remember correctly, it was decided that the water used was to blame. I don't know a simple solution to the issue, sadly. I'm about to make a batch myself this week, as I have run out, so I'll let you know if I get any insights!
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 11:00:34 pm »
Hi Padjaiemweru,

Interesting- I use filtered water in ritual. Perhaps I'll try changing the filter and see if that has an effect on the next batch.

It's not an offensive taste, it's just...odd.

Bonnie

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:03:02 pm »

Now that I think about it, I am wondering if it also might have to do with the fact that I usually brush my teeth, floss and gargle right before ritual. The aftertaste might be mixing weirdly with the flavor of the salts. I should probably pick up some myrrh toothpaste and use that instead pre-ritual.

Bonnie

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:24:12 pm »
but what is the source of the Koshering Salt? Rock Salt or Sea Salt? Kosher Salt just means it has no additives and Koshering Salt would be the more fitting term. It could be made from either.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 01:01:09 am »
Hi Tanebet,

That's a great consideration!

I've done some looking around to try to find the origins of the Diamond Crystal Kosher(ing) salt I'm using, but not having much luck. The manufacturer (Cargill) describes the two methods used to extract salt, from the earth and from the sea but doesn't say which specifically the salt I'm using comes from. Ill probably need to email them with the question.

Measured by volume, I gather there's a significant difference in the sodium density even between different brands of the same kind of salt, based on the crystal structure of each.

What salt(s) do you all use in making you natron? Do you have a favorite?

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

Offline Tanebet

• Rev Astrid - Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 01:27:54 am »
Em hotep

I use plain rock salt (without additives like iodine)
There are plenty of salt mines in this area and I like that the salt comes from a local source.
Our Jewish Shop has only Kosher Salt made from sea salt, which I don't like...because yes, I think there is something fishy about it. And I consider rock salt more pure than sea salt anyway.

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Djehutyendy

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:39:25 am »
Em hotep!

Great question! I normally use sea salt. The brand I use has varied over the years but I never have had a fishy taste.

I've done some looking around to try to find the origins of the Diamond Crystal Kosher(ing) salt I'm using, but not having much luck. The manufacturer (Cargill) describes the two methods used to extract salt, from the earth and from the sea but doesn't say which specifically the salt I'm using comes from. Ill probably need to email them with the question.

Measured by volume, I gather there's a significant difference in the sodium density even between different brands of the same kind of salt, based on the crystal structure of each.
The crystal structure of NaCl doesn't change (which means there are not significant differences in the relative density), but the processes used from different brands can impact the bulk density. So you are correct that the sodium content varies across brands, I just wanted to clarify the wording :) Anyway, by volume there is less NaCl with Diamond Kosher Salt than with most other tables salts. What this will mean is that if you are using a 1:1 ratio of salt and baking soda to make your natron, you are ending up with less NaCl and more sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). Perhaps the fishy taste is coming from that? I can't say that I know what baking soda tastes like on its own, but I do know it can make things taste funky when too much is used.

Senebty!
Endy
Daughter of Djehuty and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) | Beloved of Hethert-Sekhmet and Geb
Fundraising Bak | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Blog

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:24:57 am »
Bring the science, Endy! :)
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:09 pm »
Indeed, Endy, rock that science!
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Team

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 04:33:07 pm »
Thanks, everyone!

Bonnie

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289051
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112