Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 80
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Wepwawet and the wolf  (Read 200 times)

Offline Painted Leopard

• Remetj
Wepwawet and the wolf
« on: September 03, 2019, 06:02:04 pm »
It occurs to me as I look at the Kemet.org description of Wepwawet that the association to the wolf may be due to syncretism on the Hellenic end. In exploring the Hellenic cult of Apollon I had once come across a reference from Diodoros Siculus in which he addressed Apollon in Egypt in a manner that suggest Wepwawet to me. There are certainly some connections that make it a logical association outside the common association with Heru-sa-Aset. Apollon is a wolf deity and a martial deity and connected to the grave prior to his solar cult in later periods. It is possible that Hellenic assertions that Wepwawet as a wolf springs from this Hellenic syncretism.
How much and to what degree should I allow this to influence me?
Do you see Wepwawet as a jackal or a wolf in your relationship with him?
I confess that he seems quite different from Yinepu that leads me more to wolf than jackal in my own brief experiences, but I am not so certain that I would carve it in stone.
Anyway just an observation and my general curiosity of which way do members here swing....wolf or jackal?

Offline Nesiwepwawet

• Shemsu
Re: Wepwawet and the wolf
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:05:25 pm »
I have both Jackal and Wolf imagery meant to represent Him, however with me at least, He far prefers Jackal imagery in the traditional form (frustrating as it is hard to get your hands on just the right item, I have to settle with one choice piece that is precisely what I want, and the rest may be more Yinepu than I'd like but... Wepwawet understands)

The most recognizable symbol of Wepwawet in specific, separate from Yinepu, is that of a thin, standing Jackal, typically with (though sometimes without) the shedshed and uraeus.

Coloring doesn't matter one lick as Wepwawet was as much a black Jackal as any other 'color appearance', and many of the instances where people claim he was colored grey or some lighter color can actually be attributed strictly to the original color having been lost or flaked away over many, many years (though there are a possible few actual instances where the color appears different -- still He appears just as much Black). And Wepwawet can still be represented as the Jackal-headed man as well.

I've never felt the 'wolf' calling too too much as a result that He calls me more to traditional imagery, however I still am personally attracted to the Wolf aspect and He has explained to me that this draw I feel is One in the same with Him.

(Side-note: Wepwawet is the most talkative God [words are few and far between but very loud and to the point] that I've ever met, and good thing too, because I don't pick up on subtlety all that well  ::) )

None of this is to say you cannot use other imagery, such as that of the wolf or the coyote, to represent Him. If it speaks to you, and if it speaks to Him, then why not? There are other interesting ties between Wepwawet and wolf imagery, such as that of Lycopolis (Greek; city of wolves), though there's some back-and-forth reading on that subject, and as well the Egyptian Jackal itself is also known as the "African wolf".

But still, for me? It is Jackal all the way for the most part :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:14:44 pm by Nesiwepwawet »
Nesiwepwawet - "Belonging to Wepwawet"
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Amun

Offline Painted Leopard

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »
Thank you, that is incredibly helpful. I will have to see which he seems to present more to me in my relationship with him. It seems to switch up a lot, but then I am still fairly new in my practice comparatively :)

Offline Shezatwepwawet

• Moderator (Kemetic Orthodox Q&A)
  • W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:36 pm »
Nesi said just about everything I would have said on the matter. I will add that I don't get Dad much as a wolf but it does sometimes happen. (and I have other deities connected with dogs and/or wolves so that gets fun.) But He's a God and if He also likes going for that form, I'm not about to object.
Senebty,
Zat (She who makes Sekhmet laugh)
Sau apprentice | Fedw | The Library | zat@kemet.org

Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Seshat-Nit-Nebthet her Heru-wer

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 11:26:47 pm »
I got a lot of wolf/jackal in my earlier days with Yinepu, and occasionally will get Wepwawet as a large wolf.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:18:53 am »
As everyone else has said, if Wepwawet presents to you as a wolf, that’s all good and fine. That’s entirely different to someone saying, “oh, but the Ancient Egyptians saw him as a wolf!” This is something I’ve written about fairly extensively elsewhere and if you are interested in reading through some of it, this is as good a starting place as any: https://bigbadjackal.tumblr.com/post/142349103315/is-wepwapwet-a-wolf-and-if-he-isnt-gray-then

In short, I am very much in the jackal camp.
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

Offline Painted Leopard

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 04:21:24 pm »
Thank you! This pretty much reinforces my thoughts that it is likely a syncretic thing (which is not a bad thing in and of itself). It certainly is clarifying. Very much appreciated.
The blog link was also very informative! Thank you Bezenwepwy.

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3011
  • stats Total Posts: 289051
  • stats Total Topics: 19612
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 112
  • stats Most Online: 217