Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Names' Theophanies & Weird Sensations  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
Re: Names' Theophanies & Weird Sensations
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »
(reminder to not use term spirit animal unless you're Native American ♥)
"Yinepu heals me" - Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet Beloved of Amun-Ra, Heru-Wer and Sokar-Wesir
𓁢
𓁩  𓅃  𓁰

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 09:52:33 am »
Seconding Sonebi, that’s a particular phrase that isn’t open to use, despite how prevalent it’s become online. I don’t know your heritage, so do feel free to correct me if that phrase is part of your culture.

I think the “closest culturally open” term (for lack of better phrasing) would be something like daemon (a la His Dark Materials), or maybe even theriotype (I think that’s the right word?) for someone who is not of Native American heritage but feels their spirit takes an animal form.

Again, I could be wrong, so anyone with better info please feel free to correct me.
Meset Yinepu
☥ “The Journey of Yinepu" ☥
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
Fedw Diviner || Fundraising Team Member || Self Care Yinepu & Sekhmet-Mut advocate

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 10:11:46 am »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: Today at 03:27:37 pm by Bawysudjawi »

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
Ah, alright. I’m not therian, so I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the correction and supplemental terms.
Meset Yinepu
☥ “The Journey of Yinepu" ☥
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
Fedw Diviner || Fundraising Team Member || Self Care Yinepu & Sekhmet-Mut advocate

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 11:20:59 am »
Daemon is a Greek term that means something akin to a netjeri
Fetch is Irish
Fylgja is Norse. 

Note that these traditions are not “closed” in the same sense as many Native American practices and thus use of these terms is unlikely to offend, but I would still suggest using them in culturally accurate ways.

Senebty,

Taji
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: Today at 03:27:49 pm by Bawysudjawi »

Offline Teritui

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 09:55:52 am »
Recently I dreamt that I sprouted white wings. It hurt a little, but I didn't mind. A disembodied voice (that I think was a god, but not sure which one) told me it was because I was a daughter of Heru-wer.

Since I have a lot of mental images of myself with wings, and sometimes it almost feels like there's a pressure on/inbetween my shoulder blades.

I'm not Therian.

This has been very interesting! I hope more chime in.
Teritui: I respect my Two Fathers
Daughter of: Ptah-Sokar-Wesir and Heru-wer
Beloved of: Sekhmet-Hethert, Set and Taweret

Offline Ra'awyserqet

• W'ab Priest - Lay Clergy
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 02:28:39 am »
Daemon is a Greek term that means something akin to a netjeri
Fetch is Irish
Fylgja is Norse. 

Note that these traditions are not “closed” in the same sense as many Native American practices and thus use of these terms is unlikely to offend, but I would still suggest using them in culturally accurate ways.

Senebty,

Taji

Dæmon would be used like this, not in a way related to the Greeks. The only people likely to be upset at the usage nowadays would be the kids at The Dæmon Page.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A6mon_(His_Dark_Materials)

And I am of Irish & Norse descent, I say that using the terms I listed will hurt no one even outside of cultural contexts.

Em hotep Bawysudjawi *henu*

As someone also of Germanic and Irish descent, I think it's important to keep cultural prospectives in mind whenever using culture specific terms and to use them, whenever possible, within the correct cultural contexts.

Please keep in mind that you cannot speak for and should not put yourself forward as a representative of all people's of your ethnic origins. I know several people who are Germanic in descent who also practice Heathenry/Asatru and would *prefer* to not have their terms lumped in with other contexts and thereby gain other meanings, much the same as you do not wish people with guides/familiars/other to call themselves theriotypes.

Senebty
Ra'awy
(They/them)

Sat Serqet-Aset her Nisut-bity Hekatawy | (aus), meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Heru-wer, her Hethert-Nut-as-Nehmet-Awai.

Fedw Diviner

Online Emseneteraset

• Shemsu
Names' Theophanies & Weird Sensations
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 03:32:53 am »
I would like to second Ra’awy! My ancestry is Swedish and Aboriginal Australian. The fyljgur are different enough from the Native American spirit animal that I don’t feel the term can accurately apply as a generic “white man’s open-system companion”. Additionally, fyljgur are not restricted to animal forms, and can be omens of death. Not necessarily a pleasant encounter.

To add another companion to the mix, just for the sake of lengthening this list: The Aboriginal Australian totem is a closed tradition! My patrilineal totem is the Tasmanian devil. A person without Aboriginal blood should not claim to have an Australian totem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:34:54 am by Emseneteraset »
in the likeness of Aset
Daughter of Aset-Serqet · Beloved of Tefnut
Self-Care Set & Serqet Keeper

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 08:29:44 am »
Agreed to both of you. Fetches are often death omens too. And they’re not really animal spirits; they’re like doppelgängers. You see a person who’s your double and it means you’re going to die.

I’m also of Celtic/Germanic (and Slavic) ancestry, but given I practice none or their traditions, I’m hard pressed to speak on their behalf.

I’m not going to go so far as to say that using these terms to mean what people usually mean when they say “spirit animal” is appropriative, but it’s edging that way.  Using these terms to mean what people usually mean when they say “spirit animal” though is definitely inaccurate, imprecise, and confusing. 

Is “power animal” okay?  I’m mostly familiar with that term from new agey stuff and core shamanism.

Senebty,

Taji

Offline ubenetsenu

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 11:02:33 am »
i tend to just use a lot more words: hedgehogs are an animal i feel a deep connection to, i find hawks personally meaningful, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ubenetsenu - "two appear shining"
sat Sekhmet-Mut her Khonsu
meryt Wesir her Serqet-Aset
𓁴𓁳
tarot and heka by request

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 11:06:34 am »
i tend to just use a lot more words: hedgehogs are an animal i feel a deep connection to, i find hawks personally meaningful, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah.  And that way people know precisely what you mean, too. 

I like it.

Senebty,

Taji

Online Tawa'ubast

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 11:27:26 am »
I deeply connect to penguins, but they are not my animal guide, nor my theriotype.
I have an animal spirit guide, but she's external, not me, and I only connect to that animal through her and my personal energy.

I understand patronus to be more in the place of the "such and such is my spirit animal" kind of play, which isn't a serious belief, but a connection to whatever it is.  It's not a word I'd use in place of a serious animal connection belief.  Ex: Elsa from Frozen is my spirit animal patronus.

I rambled based on the entire discussion, and it's not directed to any particular person here.
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Priest of Bast-Mut ║ Fedw ║ Fundraising Team ☥
www.BastMut.org

Offline Bawysudjawi

• Shemsu
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 02:33:34 pm »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: Today at 03:26:53 pm by Bawysudjawi »

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 02:51:19 pm »
Hotep, all-

I don't want to add fuel to what appears to be an emotionally laden situation, but from my read core-identity vs chosen belief isn't the underlying issue here. 

It seems to me that the issue is that certain terms have defined meanings inextricably linked to their cultural origins, which should be respected. 

Certain cultures are "closed" and thus their terminology should not be used by anyone outside of that culture group.  Other cultures are not closed, but their terminology should still be used to describe things accurately within that cultural context.  To do otherwise could be considered disrespectful at worse, but is, at best, confusing. 

I, not being Native American, should not for any reason claim a spirit animal, either seriously or in jest.

I, not being Scandinavian (I am partly, but for the purposes of explanation . . .), could still yet practice Heathenry and claim a fylgja, but that term would still carry the specific meaning it has within Norse culture. 

I don't think anyone was being disrespectful or trying to hurt anyone.  And I'm sorry if my attempt to clarify was not helpful.

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:57:12 pm by Tasedjebbast »

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3059
  • stats Total Posts: 291408
  • stats Total Topics: 19802
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 653