collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 89
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Mehet Weret!  (Read 305 times)

Offline songofhethert

• Beginner
Let's Talk About Mehet Weret!
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:39:16 pm »
Em hotep!

Does anyone here work with (or have worked with) Mehet Weret? Is she simply Hethert-Nut, or are they different? What is she like? What sort of things do you offer her (including UPG)?

Thank you!  ;D
songofhethert
Devotee of Hethert

Offline Hakenensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Let's Talk About Mehet Weret!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:41:25 pm »
Em hotep friend!

My beloved is Hethert-Sekhmet! I get my Hethert as Hethert-as-Mehet-Weret. She tends to be vast, and loving, and wildly strong in terms of what She needs me to do. ^^ I find Her to be of a Stillness and strongness, sort-of like a lingering parent who refuses to give up on their child type of strongness. She's very fun to talk to as she's an active listener and participates often in my conversations! I like to sit outside under the stars and talk to Her, and make offerings of star-shaped things, or milk, and honey on bread. <3

Senebty,
Hakenensenu.
"Acclaimed by Two" || Fedu&Tarot || Art&Music
Sat Khonsu her Wadjet || Meryt Hethert-Sekhmet, Mafdet, her Set.
𓅴𓆘𓁥𓁴𓃠𓃩
Please do not shorten my name!
Wordpress

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:08:19 pm »
Em hotep! Must say that I love your cow picture hahaha

Mehet-Weret can be many goddesses, historically I know she can be Nut, Hethert, Sekhmet (?), Nit, Aset, Nebt-het and some goddess named The Nourisher (Sdt). For me, differently from other Names that have this same atribute of being other gods (such as khentyamenti, Weret-Hekau, Amenti, etc), Mehet-Weret is always all of this Names together, She is a Multitude! Whenever I call for Her I feel Her as this masses of Names together as one primordial being. Even if I call Her from specific Names, like "Aset-as-MehetWeret", She will be mostly Aset, but I can feel the other names around.
She's one of that Names that is REALLY related to the primordial Zepi-Tepi to me, the celestial cow that emerges from the Nun and put the sun between it's horns and creates the first sunrise.
I really like to offer Her milk, honey, eggs and star-shaped-things, like Hakenensenu.

Senebty,
Hepetwi
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
For short Hepetwi
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

Shemsu Liaison l Sau apprentice

Offline songofhethert

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:36:51 pm »
Thank you for your replies!

That's really fascinating!! I didn't know she was associated with so many goddesses. I suppose it does make sense, due to all the assimilations between the different goddesses and the syncretisms in antiquity.

I definitely agree that she emanates a primordial feel, almost like Sobek-Ra in a way. She also feels very royal, perhaps because of the Aset side of her.

It's a bit overwhelming with so many Netjer all packed into one goddess 😅 You get so many sides of the different Netjeru involved!
Devotee of Hethert

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »
Em hotep!

The vastness and multiplicity of Netjer can indeed be dizzying! It's always fascinating to see how everyone gets each of the Netjeru! Hepetwi is right, Mehet Weret is a title more than a Name and is shared by many Netjeru!

I have Hethert-Nut as my second beloved, and She for me is very Mehet Weret. Whenever I talk to Her I get a lot of water imagery, which makes sense of course. The water imagery is how I figured out She was more Mehet Weret aligned! I associate Her often with the ocean, actually, and of course rivers. Waves of blue water, starlit galaxies... that kind of thing. I like to offer Her basically whatever I'm having, but milk seems to be a favorite! I also heavily associate Her with blueberries for some reason, so blueberry flavored milk, blueberry granola bars, blueberry pancakes... all that stuff goes to Her!

She is huge and vast and for me, fairly hard to pin down and box in to any solid specifics, other than Hethert-Nut the Great Flood. She's soft and loving like Hethert, and still warm, but less red warm and more blue warm. She's like a natural spring, bubbling and starry and clear, but not hot, just a pleasant body temperature. And vast, my word, is She vast. Primordial, as you put it, is a great way to describe Her. Ancient. She's seen it all, and knows so very much. She radiates love but in a different way than "vanilla" Hethert does. Hethert-Nut (as Mehet Weret) is that huge, unending sky type love, like when you look up at the stars on a clear night - so close you can almost touch it, you feel you can count every star, but so far you never will fully comprehend it, far too many stars to truly count...

I'm...very fond of my Beloveds hah
Had fun reading what others have said too!

Senebty,
Taswau 💜
Meset Yinepu
“The Journey of Yinepu"
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
fedw diviner || sau apprentice || Self Care Yinepu advocate

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:39:04 pm »
Thank you for your replies!

That's really fascinating!! I didn't know she was associated with so many goddesses. I suppose it does make sense, due to all the assimilations between the different goddesses and the syncretisms in antiquity.

I definitely agree that she emanates a primordial feel, almost like Sobek-Ra in a way. She also feels very royal, perhaps because of the Aset side of her.

It's a bit overwhelming with so many Netjer all packed into one goddess 😅 You get so many sides of the different Netjeru involved!

You talked about Sobek-Ra and it relates to me a lot to Nit as Mehet-Weret, since She is the Mother of Sobek(-Ra), both as primordial Deities <3
For short Hepetwi

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
I keep getting "pings" every time I think of Mehet-Weret, and now that I read this I figure it makes sense since I'm apparently connected to so many deities she's linked to. I think I mostly get her via Hethert though, and again that makes sense as apparently my Hethert is kinda, Hethert-in-all-her-faces as it were (Just with one of them presenting foremost).

I haven't worked with her really though. I have been ignoring the pings. This is probably a sign that I should ignore them less.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, her Hethert-Amenti
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓁥𓇼

Offline songofhethert

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:18:27 am »
What a beautiful description, Taswauyinepu! I can completely agree that Mehet Weret is more of a "blue warm" than a "red warm", in contrast to Hethert by herself. She feels more... ethereal and mysterious, much like the vastness of the universe: mostly unknown but so entrancing. In comparison to Hethert, who I get more as a fiery, yet warm, energy, Mehet Weret is more cool.

And that's interesting, Asethepetwi! I wonder if there is any connection there.

I also get Hethert as all of her facets, except for perhaps as Sekhmet, Tai'awepwawet. Chase those pings!! See what she wants :P
Devotee of Hethert

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 06:50:20 pm »
What a beautiful description, Taswauyinepu! I can completely agree that Mehet Weret is more of a "blue warm" than a "red warm", in contrast to Hethert by herself. She feels more... ethereal and mysterious, much like the vastness of the universe: mostly unknown but so entrancing. In comparison to Hethert, who I get more as a fiery, yet warm, energy, Mehet Weret is more cool.

I couldn't agree more with you in this! I think this is what differenciates Nut from Nut-as-Mehet-Weret to me, for exemple. Nut is the sky we see, we understand and we admire, Nut-as-Mehet-Weret is the ancient vastness of the universe, the mysteries that lies above/around us ever since the Zepi-Tepi.

And that's interesting, Asethepetwi! I wonder if there is any connection there.

Oh I'm sure it does! Even tho it's rare for me to see Nit in cow form in Her Creator Roles (but still as Mehet-Weret), She's definetely related to Sobek(-Ra) while Nit-as-Mehet-Weret. Her crocodile children is a very strong aspect in Her creational myths, it's always said that She nurses Her crocodiles (Sobek and Shemanefer) in the Abyss or that She is accompained by a group of crocodile Netjeri (Khendut Nit - The Weavers of Nit) in the flood, for me this is a direct association with Mehet-Weret and Her children, specially Sobek.
On the LAGG there are a few passages about Her in cow Form (even that Mehet-Weret is not always a cow, but it's still the most strong iconography of Her):
C. Cattle Forms:
a) A cow with stars on her body and a ram-sphinx on her back (she is then called iht: “the cow”)

1. Animals:
iht – The cow
iht wrt – The great cow
iht wrt m st ra – The great cow at the throne of Ra
iht Spst – The sublime cow
idt – The cow
mnHt aAt nfrt – The great and perfect cow
nbt – The sky cow
Hnwt nbwt – The lady of the cows

1. Knowledge:
irt DAisw nw mHt wrt – Who creates the sayings of mHt wrt

X. Identification with Other Deities:
mHt wrt – The great flood

Also, on Sobek's LAGG pages we have a few associations of Him to Cows and His Mother:
Ts idwt – Who copulates the cows (Most children of creators Names tend to become Their consorts)
nb wpt itn – The lord of the cow horns and the solar disk
g) mHt wrt or he himself collects (sbq/sAq) his limbs in the water in his name, Sobek [91]
smsw n mHt wrt – The oldest one of Mehet Weret (!!!!)
iry xx n nt – The necklace of Nit
xx n nt – The neck of Nit
SA nt - The Son of Nit

(I was writting this at the same time as I was reasearching it and here we got our answer: smsw n mHt wrt – The oldest one of Mehet Weret)

For short Hepetwi

Offline songofhethert

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 12:50:36 pm »
Wow!! That's super interesting :O thank you for sharing!

I know close to nothing about Nit, but now I think I'll have to do some exploring on her role as Nit-as-Mehet-Weret! Truly an expansive goddess  ;D

Since she is associated with so many Eyes of Ra, could Mehet Weret also be considered an Eye? Sometimes I feel like all goddesses are Eyes lol  :P
Devotee of Hethert

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 04:56:28 pm »
She is! At least is listed on the LAGG, but I don't know if all goddesses are Eyes of Ra, I wanna say "no", because I feel like there must be an exception, but I gathered once a list of all Names I could find that are eye-goddesses and it's a LOT:

Amunet
Anuket
Aset
Bast
Hat Mehit
Heqet
Hethert
Hnwt imntt (The Princess of the West)
Hnwt msTt
Hepetet (The Embracing Goddess)
inbw HD (Memphis)
Ipet (AKA Taweret)
iw.s aA.s
Ma'at
Mafdet
Mehet Weret
Menhit (also Menhit in Her name of Hethert)
Meret of Upper Egypt
mn bit
mr.s gr
mrt Smaw

Mut
mXrr (a scarab)
nbwt nTrw (The Golden One)
Nebet Hetepet
Nebetu
Nebt-het
Nekhbet
Netjert Snake
nHmt awAy
Nit
nsrt (The Fiery One)
Nut
Qetesh
Rat Tawy
Repit
Sat Ra (the Daughter of Ra) of the forehead snake (mHnyt and iart)
Satet
Sekhmet
Serqet
Seshat Weret
Sopdet
tA mrt
tA Ntrt aAt (of tA nTrt aA nt)
tA snt nfrt (of tA snt nfrt tfnt)
Tefnut
Tjenenet
Wadjet
Weret Hekau
xnst
xntyt iAbtt
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:24:36 pm by Asethepetwi »
For short Hepetwi

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 05:04:09 pm »
I would guess Mehet Weret would be considered an Eye, since most (if not all) of the goddesses Who wear that title are.
Meset Yinepu
“The Journey of Yinepu"

Offline songofhethert

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 06:39:50 am »
That is certainly a lot of goddesses who act as Eyes! More than I even expected to be honest haha

While reading Isis Magic: Cultivating a Relationship With the Goddess of 10,000 Names by M. Isidora Forrest, I found a quote you all might find interesting!

Mehet-Weret means 'Great Flood.' As the Lady of the Celestial Flood of which the earthly flood was a reflection, Mehet-Weret is dangerous, mysterious, and life-giving. For while the inundating flood of the Nile was both invoked and welcomed, it could also produce anxiety. Would the flood be enough? Would it be too much? Will we have enough to eat, or will we hunger? As Great Flood, Mehet-Weret controls the destiny of Egypt. She is the food-giver. As Celestial Flood, She is the waterway of Heaven upon which the Deities guide Their boats each day. She is the primal waters out of which She Herself brings the Heavenly bodies. Like Hathor, Mehet-Weret mothers the Sun God and raises Him into the sky between Her horns.
Devotee of Hethert

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 07:47:23 am »
Ohh, that IS a good quote, I love it! Thank you for sharing it here!
Meset Yinepu
“The Journey of Yinepu"

* Most Recent Topics

topic Praise Prayer
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Sehedjef
November 16, 2019, 05:36:56 pm
topic Em Hotep!
[[PUBLIC] Welcome!]
Sehedjef