Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 170
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Theillusrationist

• Beginner
What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2
« on: November 17, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
Hello!
Sorry if you are seeing this twice....silly me posted it in the wrong place. X//D ..I have a question for those who are already Shemsu. What does it mean to be Shemsu to you and not just the definition of what one is. What makes it meaningful to you I suppose? What makes it so much more than just a title? Be as detailed as you want, I want to learn as much as I can about being Shemsu while I am taking the beginners course.

PS. I am nervous but excited about all this so any encouragement and tips would be Awesome!! <333

Offline Emseneteraset

• Shemsu
Re: What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:45 pm »
Em hotep! I hope you’re enjoying the course!

I’ve only been a Shemsu for a bit under two weeks now, but it was a decision that was months in the making. I can’t imagine being anywhere else spiritually.

To me, being a Shemsu is a promise and a gift. The promise is from me to Aset and Tefnut. Being a Shemsu is me saying “Yes, I love You. I love You and I will always love You.” It’s a promise from me to Hemet. “For all you’ve done for me, I will always be on your side.”

And it’s a gift TO me: Hemet has gifted me with this wonderful opportunity to be part of an amazing community. Senut, which you’ll learn how to perform as part of your course, gifts me with incredible spiritual tranquility and emotional peace. Aset has gifted me with Her Motherhood: to be Her daughter is a gift which I can’t even begin to describe, and the name she has bestowed upon me brings me to tears regularly. Tefnut has gifted me with Her love and warmth and compassion by choosing to become my Beloved. Tefnut chose me - and I can’t even fully comprehend that!

I wouldn’t have even known of Tefnut’s love for me without the House! I didn’t know She existed before my RPD.

Aset means everything to me. Being a Shemsu means that I am making a conscious and willing choice to put Aset and Tefnut above all else, and Aset wants me to be part of the House.

Thus... being a Shemsu? Well, it means everything to me.

Senebty
Emsenet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
in the likeness of Aset
Daughter of Aset-Serqet · Beloved of Tefnut
Self-Care Set & Serqet Keeper

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:59:26 pm »
Em hotep nefer, TheIllustrationist! ;D

For greater brevity (ish), I'm going to link to what I said in a previous conversation much like this one on the public end of the fora.

I'm also going to copy-pasta something I've said before elsewhere. :)
(Second person general "you" is employed throughout, but I hope it's obvious that this is the product of my own experiences and that these are my own opinions.)

Being a Shemsu comes with greater responsibilities. It involves swearing to the Netjeru of your RPD that you will put Them first and foremost, which is not a promise to be made lightly, and isn't always easy to live-up to if you're multi-traditional like me. It also involves swearing to other people in this Temple that you will be making them priorities in your life, irrespective of whether you ever meet them face-to-face or particularly like the pants off of them personally. Being a Shemsu requires giving back to the Kemetic Orthodox community in whatever ways you can, and those ways aren't solely or merely monetary. It means all the difficult things about "people-ing," whether or not you personally love and get along with this-or-that individual. The Netjeru brought us all here, and Their worship is the primary thing that binds us. In being bound this way, we have to be here for each other, too, now, not just the Netjeru. Most of us here live in societies that are philosophically post-Enlightenment Individualist, even those of us from historically closely-knit minority groups, which makes that statement all the more important to emphasize. The meaning of "community" is becoming increasingly lost to abstraction in the Internet Age, and it's doubly difficult for us all to implement in our day-to-day lives when we're not living in the same region, and when socio-political tensions are peaking and making the lamentable action of castigating and writing-off other people wholesale over divergent-but-not-malicious opinions and miscommunications far too easy. It's a constant struggle, to make and maintain community in this day and age. It is sometimes very difficult to summon the energy to do that each and every day -- and you won't have it every day -- but in being a Shemsu, you're swearing to put your best foot forward to make that effort.

Being a Shemsu also entails being more involved with the Kemetic community at large, not just our own Kemetic Orthodox contingent. We're part of a continuum, and we don't exist in a bubble. It neither serves us individually nor collectively to exist in a bubble, whether or not other Kemetics particularly agree with our having a Nisut, or with our Divination system, and so on. 

The logical conclusion of all this is that we have to make a point of representing ourselves well -- not simply in matters of fact, but especially in moral ("ma'atian") conduct -- because Shemsu and above are all equally ambassadors of the particular religion we practice here. There aren't that many of us, in the grander scheme of things, so we each share a proportionately greater amount of burden in terms of "representation to the outside world," in ways that various members of Jewish communities who aren't Rabbis don't and in ways that Catholics who aren't nuns, brothers, deacons, bishops, etc., don't. You get the idea. :P

TL;DR -- Being a Shemsu is about far more than "just" the Netjeru, though the Netjeru are absolutely important and are what (read: Who) brought us all together here in the first place. Being a Shemsu means being part of something much, much bigger than oneself. The individual is not discounted, but the individual is also not the be-all and end-all. Shemsuhood is communal.

Apologies for the length, but I hope this helps! ;D

Senebty!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 11:06:09 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Online Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:24:11 am »
Hmmmm. This is actually a difficult one for me. I didn't spend very long as Shemsu before I became Shemsu-Ankh (months, maybe, which you were able to do at the time). I have no regrets about that, but it does mean that I don't have a particularly good grasp of what it felt like to be Shemsu, specifically, relative to being Shemsu-Ankh.

I'd say that if I tried to tease away the Shemsu-Ankh-ness, that being Shemsu for me is about two main things, two very different things.

One is devotion to my deities. They are always, in some way, on my mind, even when they're not on my mind. That sounds a bit weird, maybe, but that's how it kind of works for me. My Gods are woven through the fabric of my life, my existence, like golden thread. This is important because this is part of being Shemsu, keeping the Gods of your RPD foremost. That doesn't have to be a Big Deal, it can be a subtle weaving, but it has to be done and it has to be part of your life. I think it becomes part of your life.

The other, although I think this has bleedthrough from being SA, is that I'm part of a family now. It's important to note that this isn't a mandatory part of being Shemsu, to accept yourself as part of a family, but IIRC Hemet accepts you as her child (can someone remind me if that's at RPD or Naming? I think it's the latter) so it's completely right to see yourself as part of a nation of siblings as Shemsu. And that has so many... complicated feelings. We're such different people, here in the House of Netjer. And not all of us will get along. Just like any real family. But it is a family, and at any time, that family is here to support other members. I think even without Shemsu-Ankhhood, that feels like it comes with a nugget of responsibility. How can I reflect and replenish that environment of generosity and support? How can I make this family a home?

For me personally, there's also always going to be boat-paddling, interfaith efforts particularly with other Kemetics. However that's not a Shemsu thing, that's a me as a Kemetic at any title thing. I think though that having Shemsu and Shemsu-Ankh doing boat paddling is particularly important. It keeps our connections flowing, it shows we're not insular, it keeps us grounded. It's all round a good, for those who enjoy it.
Meset Wepwawet
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Sau Apprentice • Self-care Hethert-Amenti Advocate
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:12:59 am »
I have been a Shemsu in the temple for 15 years now (16 years since I found the temple). Like others have said, I found my heart's and soul's home here. I have found like minded individuals, and argued (joyfully) with people as well.

As a shemsu, I vowed to serve the Netjeru first in all my religious endeavors. This is a fact I have kept true in my heart for all this time. I have seen the temple grow and flourish in my years, as well as troubles brew and people leave. But being a shemsu means that the gods are always with me, always there for me, and I am there for them, serving ma'at.
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:34:11 am »
I’m in love with everyone’s comments and I very much look forward to hopefully being a Shemsu by the end of the beginners course! Thank you all for responding. I’m more than happy to hear more responses it gives me the confidence to pursue my hope of becoming Shemsu.

Offline Asetmehheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 11:05:45 am »
Just keep in mind that there is a waiting time of 6 months before you can apply for your RPD after you finish the Beginners Course. :)

As to your original question, I've only been Shemsu for a couple of months myself *waves to Emsenet* so I'm still getting the feel of it.

For me, Being a Shemsu means being more involved with the House community as best as I can, to find my own place without waiting for 'someone' to give it to me. It also means that I have been claimed by some very amazing Names (and, to be honest, somewhat intimidating!) I never would have expected that in a million years! My life has definitely changed for the better since They started showing up. :)
"Aset has concern for/thinks of me"
Sat Aset-Serqet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Nebethet-Nit-Seshat her Heru-Wer

Offline Storm

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:34:22 am »
Em hotep! Welcome to the House, and I hope you are enjoying the Beginners’ Class.  :)

As you can see from my profile, I am a Remetj, not a Shemsu - not yet at least. So what qualifies me to reply to this thread? I want to share something that Hemet (AUS) told me when I graduated from the Beginners’ Class. The gist of it was [please excuse my poor paraphrasing] that there is so much to explore when you become a Remetj, don’t miss it by being overly focussed on becoming a Shemsu. It’s a really, really important decision: give yourself time to let the implications sink in. So perform Senut, wait as required, find ways to contribute and serve, and enjoy every moment of being a Remetj! That’s what I’m doing. And yes, my intention is to apply for RPD in February, but I don’t regret taking Hemet’s advice.
Fundraising team member.

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 01:56:55 pm »
Thank you @Storm for your input I actually quite like what you wrote. It gave me some food for thought as they say. Perhaps I’m being too hasty and should just let it come to me. If it’s meant to be sure then let’s do it but for now perhaps I should enjoy some Remetj time at the end of the course. Get to understand the orthodox more, what it means to be Shemsu from others and learn all that I can as a whole. For now I’ll pray about it and enjoy the class as it continues in the meantime.

Offline Emseneteraset

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »
perhaps I should enjoy some Remetj time at the end of the course.

For what it’s worth, as Mehheri said above, you are required to have a waiting period of six months from the time you begin your regular Senut practice before you are permitted to apply for the Rite of Parent Divination and take Shemsu vows, so you will be a Remetj for quite a few months regardless of your ultimate choice! ;)

Senebty
Emsenet

in the likeness of Aset

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:03 pm »
@Emseneteraset true! I feel like my excitement is clouding everything. Or my nervousness to prove myself to the Kemetic community. Because I do feel like I should do so much now. I feel as though I was brought here to the orthodox for a reason I just wish I knew why besides finding my “tribe” sort to speak. I don’t have any Kemetics to speak with and this gives me that chance to find friends and people who think like I do and form those bonds whilst forming bonds with the Netjeru if they will have me. Sometimes I feel I can’t speak to any Netjeru in fear of being ignored or they don’t want to speak with me. Same with people most of the time. And I guess maybe that is why I am here. To be shown that hey I do have a family of sorts. Human and Divine. And maybe that is why I feel drawn to being a Shemsu. To know and to give my love to those deities that felt making me was worth something. If that makes sense. Sorry I rambled. I have been so alone in my path that I have been afraid to say anything until I found this orthodox.

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 04:37:07 pm »
Anything you can do as a shemsu, (with a few exceptions) you can also do right now.  Get to know us and get to know the netjeru.  Take your time.  It'll all come together the way it's supposed to.

Senebty,

Taji
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:41:02 pm by Tasedjebbast »
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

Offline Emseneteraset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:11:12 pm »
I really, really want to echo Taji. Though some of us (myself included) take on the Shemsu vow quite early, it’s by no means indicative of one’s position in the community!

You can have a rich relationship with this community as a Remetj. We are all family, and Shemsu aren’t above Remetj in any way. When I was a Remetj, I made friends and connections. I considered these people my family already.

I prayed with Shemsu-Ankh, I discussed Ma’at with priests, and I freely asked Hemet any question on my mind. I felt supported, loved and wanted by this community. We were already family. I didn’t need to take an oath and become a Shemsu to have a family here. I love these people, and I loved them before I became a Shemsu.

Becoming a Shemsu is an oath. It’s a serious commitment to your Parent/s and Beloved/s. It’s not to be taken lightly. You don’t even need to become a Shemsu to have an RPD! Remetj are part of this family. Remetj are *equal* parts of this family. Storm, the Remetj who has already commented? I hold their opinions in extreme esteem. They don’t need to be a Shemsu for that. Remetj are our family, too.

I don’t mean to sound pushy, but... don’t rush into oaths as a general rule. <3 You won’t miss out. We’ll still love you as our family.

in the likeness of Aset

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 11:25:21 pm »
@Emseneteraset you don’t sound pushy. It’s very nice/sweet of you to be so open and inviting about everything. Tips are welcome. All of you guys who have responded are super nice and helpful and it means a lot.

I have been a “Kemetic witch” for 6 years. At first I was nervous and scared to want to put my witch life behind me and start fresh in the orthodoxy. But now with all of the responses and other responses to others in different topics on this forum I do see it is a family of sorts with kind people.

I should stop letting my fears and anxieties get the better of me. so I thank you for being a family member to me. All of you guys are awesome for being so helpful and kind. I look forward to my future here so much with your help assisting me to be the best I can be. even if it is just talking to me. It helps a lot.

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 10:01:45 am »
Back when I joined over ten years ago, there was no requirement to wait between levels of membership.  I think I went from remetj to RPD to shemsu within a few months.  And I never took the time to really think about what being shemsu meant.

A lot of people did the same thing I did without ill effect.  I mean . . . even though they did things quickly, they didn't do them mindlessly.  I think I did it rather mindlessly.  I was excited and always wanted the next thing.  That backfired on my spectacularly when I realized I was a Shemsu Ankh with five beloveds (I'd started with two) and didn't even know what that meant, if these were the gods I really wanted to be serving, and if my place as an elder in this community was something I even wanted. 

I had to back off to figure it all out and it took a good year to do so.  I likely burned some bridges I would not have burned if I had been more mindful of what I was doing while I was doing it.  I took on more than I had to in ways that there really aren't any take-backs for.  (There are some take-backs, but not really.  You can step down from being Shemsu Ankh formally, but Weshem Ib--the process that made you one-- is irreversible and you can't get rid of a beloved).

I'm fine.  I truly am.  But I did it wrong and suffered for that for a while. 

Take. Your. Time.  Think about things.  Don't rush.

<3

Taji
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

* Most Recent Topics

topic Fundraising and Akhu Project
[[PUBLIC] Fundraising Announcements]
Taswauyinepu
Today at 07:57:07 am
topic WANT TO SEE YOUR SHRINE PICTURES
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]
Nesiwepwawet
December 06, 2019, 06:42:52 pm
topic Post removed: Names' Theophanies & Weird Sensations
[[PUBLIC] Kemetic Orthodox Q&A]