Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Sokar?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Nysenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Sokar?
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:39:41 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has any information you'd want to share about Sokar? Personal, historical, etc, doesn't matter! I'm having a hard time finding things about him, especially as "just" Sokar without Ptah or Wesir. I'm also curious if he has any notable connections to either Wepwawet or Khonsu in any way?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:32:08 pm by Nysenu »
Nysenu | "Because of two" | Fedw Diviner | Sau Apprentice
Bast | Yinepu-Wepwywawet | Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Khonsu | Sekhmet-Mut | Mafdet | Set
𓃧𓃠𓁢𓃧
𓁳𓁴𓃮𓁣

Offline Sebaisokar

• Shemsu
Re: Sokar?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 05:59:05 pm »
Em hotep!

I'm very lucky to have "just" Sokar as my Father, and since my divination I've come to learn quite a bit about Him! I don't know what you've managed to come across already, so I'll start with the basics and then get into the deep stuff.

While Sokar isn't a popular deity nowadays, He had a very important role in Ancient Egyptian religion as the lord of the necropolises at Giza and Abydos (and, by extrapolation, all necropolises). Saqqara (another necropolis) is thought to still bear His name. He isn't particularly associated with either Upper or Lower Egypt as some of the Netjeru are - He was worshipped in both. Instead, He was considered the lord of the caves, the deserts, and the West.

Sokar is typically depicted as a falcon or falcon-headed man, though He can be shown as fully human or as a small pyramid with the head of a falcon at the top. His regalia can include the white crown and the atef-crown, and his barque is known as the Henu-barque.

No small part of what we know about Him today comes from His incorporation in funerary literature. As you might expect, the "Foremost of the Duat," as one of His epithets calls him, has a big part to play there!

My favorite tale to tell about my Father regards his role in the rebirth of Ra in the Duat. As per the Amduat, Sokar rules over the fourth and fifth hours of the night. First, Ra takes a winding path over Sokar's desert in the fourth hour. Then, He enters Sokar's cavern in the fifth hour, where Sokar begins the work of Ra's rejuvenation. All along the way, Sokar fights the agents of isfet who would try and attack Ra.

Sokar is vast, complex, and old. He is the lord of terror and the lord of joy. He rules the darkest places in creation as the lord of light. He is the wind, the great creator, the rejuvenated one; He is the weary-of-heart, the still, the lord of silence in every tomb.

While I'm not aware of any explicit connection between Sokar and Wepwawet, the Two have nearby cult centers in Seti I's temple complex. A closer Jackal connection comes through the epithet Khenty-Amenti. I've heard of an attested Khonsu-Sokar from Hakenensenu, but I'm not very familiar with this form of my Father myself.

Personally, I know my Father to be a silent, yet communicative presence in my life. He prefers to "speak" to me through persistent thoughts and bodily sensations rather than through words. I find Him very willing to use divination to bridge the gap when I can't understand Him or His desires.

I know Him as the lord of His moment. He is still and silent until He must act. When He moves, it is swift, decisive, and devastating.

"My" Sokar is also very solar. He is very much the guide and defender of Ra, His ba and the Lord of Light. I associate him with the Seker falcon, gyrfalcons, and other white raptors, and the color white in general. Historically, He is also associated with turquoise.

In terms of offerings, He enjoys "white" libations from me (eg. white wine and white rum) in addition to water. For food, I've found he prefers savory over sweet (eg. vegetables instead of fruit), and foods that are drier (eg. kale instead of cucumbers). Kale and white wine are the only things He's ever explicitly requested of me thus far. When in doubt, just a plain ol' glass of water can go a long way.

I hope this answers some of your questions! As you can tell, I'm more than ready to info-dump about my Father at the drop of a hat, lol. I've translated his epithets from the LAGG - if you haven't found those already, they're posted in the "Epithets of the Names" thread here on the forums. And if you wanna know anything else, don't hesitate to ask!
𓅋
Sa Sokar
Mery Amun-Ra, Wadjet, her Nut
Sebai or Seb for short

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:49 pm »
I don't know much about Sokar - tho when I pray to Ra at night I feel Him as  how I imagine Sokar must feel - but Henadology probably can help you:
https://henadology.wordpress.com/theology/netjeru/sokar/
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Sonebiyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:01:47 pm »
Em hotep!

I have Sokar-Wesir as a Beloved and it isnt easy finding information let me tell you! Googling tended to lead to Ptah-Sokar-Wesir rather than Sokar-Wesir haha.

I did find a few epithets in relation to Sokar (-Wesir) (not sure how 'real' these are apologies lol!)

'the walker in the night'
'the breath that snuffs the flame'
'the quite death'
'keeper of ways'

But in relation to my experiences, Sokar-Wesir is pretty sneaky but I get Him like the moon and the ocean.

Senebty

"Yinepu heals me" - Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet Beloved of Amun-Ra, Heru-Wer and Sokar-Wesir

Sau apprentice
𓁢
𓁩  𓅃  𓁰

Offline Sebaisokar

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »
Just for info, none of those epithets are in the LAGG. Of course, that doesn't mean they're not useful or meaningful! I've got a few epithets I've made up for Him myself - lord of silence, white falcon, Sokar in His moment, etc. - that are all very important to me and how I understand Him.
𓅋
Sa Sokar
Mery Amun-Ra, Wadjet, her Nut
Sebai or Seb for short

Offline Raheri

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 08:53:07 pm »
I have always found Sokar to like purple in color and very very dark chocolate.
Son of Wesir | Heri-sesheta

"O my heart which I had from my mother,
Do not rise up agianst me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things;
Do not bring up anything agianst me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

* Most Recent Topics

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3087
  • stats Total Posts: 293018
  • stats Total Topics: 19941
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything