collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Asetmehheri

• Shemsu
Re: What does it mean to be Shemsu to YOU? Try no. 2
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:20 am »
Originally, I was going to just take my time, be Remetj for a couple of years, get the 'lay of the land' so to speak...and then this year's Aset oracle happened and I def got the message "Stop procrastinating!"  At first I thought it was Wepwawet who sent that, but it turned out it was probably Mom (=Aset, as it turned out) who had. :D

So there is no one right true and only way to be a member of the House.
"Aset has concern for/thinks of me"
Sat Aset-Serqet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Heru-Wer
Zep-Tepi Class of 53

Offline Theillusrationist

• Remetj
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 11:13:48 am »
@Asetmehheri See I have Set calling me “little Shemsu” already and I swear Djehuty wants me to be Remetj and just test stuff out before anything you know and be wise about decisions. And then I’m all conflicted over what everyone is saying because you could easily go from “ok let’s be smart and go slow” or do Set’s route and full throttle it into existence and I swear it is only because he knows I want to be Shemsu. I think I’m just gonna see where I stand at the end of the course. XD thanks for the responses y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sesaiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 02:35:29 pm »
I have a bit of a different perspective on this, as I spent time not only as a Remetj, but time as a Divined Remetj between my RPD and deciding to take the Shemsu oath. There are plenty of things that will affect your decision whether to take that step or not. For me, I took time between having my RPD done and taking the oath because I wanted to be sure that that was what I wanted and something that I felt comfortable tying myself to.

I very much consider myself a person who is walking two paths with both the guidance of Netjer and the gods of Hatti. I consider myself a bit of an immigrant, an adopted child of the Netjeru rather than one originally born to them. And it took me a while to figure out how I would decide to walk the two paths together. And what I settled on was that I would take the teachings that the gods of my RPD and the people of Kemet have for me and place them first in my life. I will always have a relationship with what I could call my "home" gods, but I also know that they sent me off into another land for a reason, and that reason was that I needed the community that the House has to offer and I needed to learn certain lessons here.

This understanding puts me into the position that many people in antiquity were put into as well, so I try to feel confident that that was the right choice for me. I decided around the time of my RPD to ask a person from antiquity, Maathornefeure (AUS), to help me and guide me through my decisions as another immigrant from the land of Hatti. I also read about a woman who might have been of Central European descent who was found buried with an amulet of Hatmehyt. My Mother has a long history of adopting children into her fold, as many people immigrated from all parts to her home in the Nile Delta. :)

If there is one thing that I think everyone in this thread has hit on, it's that it's absolutely fine to be a Remetj. Remetj are a valuable part of the community and it's far from being just a stepping stone to becoming a Shemsu. I think, if I wasn't pushed by the gods of Hatti to further integrate myself into the community and my Kemetic practice, that I probably would have been happy to remain Remetj for a very long time.
𓊨𓏏𓁐𓋴𓋴𓐠𓄿𓀁𓀀 — “Aset makes me wise” or "Aset satisfies me"
Aset's designated nerd | self-care Hatmehyt advocate
Meset Aset-Weret-Hatmehyt, Meryt Nit, Amun-Ra-Banebdjedet, her Hethert
𓎬 𓈰 𓎬

Offline Nesiwepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 10:00:08 pm »
Being a Shemsu for me is a promise, a dedication, and a commitment, to Netjer, to Wepwawet, and to my Kemetic family (the community). It's that simple, and at the same time that complex. And I admit to having a lot of trouble during times of my life with that promise, but I'm working hard to live up to it as best I can.

I've also taken my Shemsu-ankh vow in the past, but as someone who is returning to the House after many years, I've opted to come back first as a Shemsu and am working with Wepwawet toward a point in time where I feel it is right to once again publicly reclaim and profess that vow again.

Wepwawet and I are doing a lot together during His year  :D

I have been a “Kemetic witch” for 6 years. At first I was nervous and scared to want to put my witch life behind me and start fresh in the orthodoxy. But now with all of the responses and other responses to others in different topics on this forum I do see it is a family of sorts with kind people.

I wanted to chime in here, because before I came to the House, I was also a Kemetic Witch :) I had the same reservations that you do in the beginning, and being so young when I came here (18-19, I'm nearly 38 now), it only amplified it, that idea of leaving behind an entire chunk of my life in favor of something else entirely.

I feel it turned out to be less like leaving behind completely one family and being apart of another, and instead it was more similar to growing up and leaving my parents home, marrying my husband, etc: I had two families now, one was a more immediate and higher priority and came first (my husband, my new life) while maintaining strong ties to the past. As a Shemsu, my Kemetic Orthodoxy came first and was priority, and my ties to previous elements of my life didn't have to disappear, although the relationship I had with that part of my life changed.

Change is not a bad thing, even if it's scary, and change is almost unavoidable. We are constantly evolving and changing throughout all of our days. I didn't recognize the full value of this when I was younger the way I do now 20 years later.

Spend as much time as you need in each stage of your growth and evolution. There is no rush, there is no race. There is no pressure.

~ Nesi
Nesiwepwawet - "Belonging to Wepwawet" 𓃧‬
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu
meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Amun

Fedw for my Father | Beginner's Class 2001

Offline Shukheperas_ankhi

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 11:25:40 am »
This post has been edited, as I misunderstood something.  :) 

I was a shemsu for quite a long time before finally deciding I was ready to be shemsu-ankh.  Back when I became shemsu there wasn't a time requirement between the different roles (except priesthood, I believe), and I was another one of those who quickly went from remetj to shemsu.  Looking back on it, I can't say that I regret it, but I can say that I made the choice for pretty much all the wrong reasons.  Namely, I wanted to be like everyone else, I wanted a line-up, a family, etc.  I'm very thankful for the inclusiveness that has been promoted in the past couple of years - when I first began exploring KO, it was obvious that there was a divide between the roles, despite it being frequently said that no one was less important based on their membership.  I know some of that was in my own mind, but not all of it was. 

Being a shemsu was a big deal to me, though.  I made an oath to my Father and Beloveds, and it meant a lot to me to do so.  I wanted so much to be worthy, and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I could be.  I think that's one of the best parts of being a shemsu though - exploring your relationship with your Family.  I've always kind of looked at membership like this:   remetj - exploring/enriching relationship with Netjer (some, all, one, etc); shemsu - exploring/enriching relationship with RPD Family; shemsu-ankh - exploring /enriching relationship with king & country (aka community).  Keep in mind that this is just how I view it for myself!

Despite jumping from remetj to shemsu for the wrong reasons,  I was ready for a divine Family that chose me.  In a lot of ways, I think I needed it at that stage of my life.  But I agree with everyone here - take your time. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:17:32 pm by Shukheperas_ankhi »
Sat Khepera her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
☀️ Khepera's sunlight makes me live 🌻
meryt Djehuty her Serqet-Aset
|Fedw Diviner|

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 06:06:56 pm »
Hello!
Sorry if you are seeing this twice....silly me posted it in the wrong place. X//D ..I have a question for those who are already Shemsu. What does it mean to be Shemsu to you and not just the definition of what one is. What makes it meaningful to you I suppose? What makes it so much more than just a title? Be as detailed as you want, I want to learn as much as I can about being Shemsu while I am taking the beginners course.

PS. I am nervous but excited about all this so any encouragement and tips would be Awesome!! <333

Thank you for asking this question, because it's giving me a great opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a Shemsu. Even as a priest I'm still a Shemsu, and that can sometimes get lost amidst the all the priest-y work we do.

Being a Shemsu means being devoted to my Parents. They're the first deities I go to in all things. When I'm sick, I pray to Them to help make me well. When I'm struggling, I pray to Them for comfort and strength. When things are going well, I thank Them first. If I'm having a meal, I'm sharing it with Them. When I'm traveling, They come with me.

It's a little hard to tease out, because it's become natural to me (I'll have been a Shemsu for 13 years this March). It's become second nature for me to simply exist in devotion to my Parents, since They've been an integral part of my life for so long. But I think that's what it ultimately means to be a Shemsu after this number of years -- to know, in my core, that They have my back, and to include Them in everything I do.
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Taswauyinepu

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 06:48:26 pm »
Sema’a this is really beautifully written, thank you so much for sharing it. It can be hard to fully, deeply know and understand what it means to be a shemsu when you’re first starting out, and I think this is a really well put bit. 💜

A wonderful conversation all!

Good journeys,
Taswau
Meset Anupet (-as Yinepu)
☥ “The Journey of Yinepu" ☥
Meryt Sekhmet-Mut, Hethert-Nut, Bast, her Mafdet
Fedw Diviner || Self Care Sekhmet-Mut & Hethert-Nut advocate

Offline Theillusrationist

• Remetj
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:11 pm »
Sema’a this is really beautifully written, thank you so much for sharing it. It can be hard to fully, deeply know and understand what it means to be a shemsu when you’re first starting out, and I think this is a really well put bit.

A wonderful conversation all!

Good journeys,
Taswau

Yes I agree I love everyone’s comments. It really helps me figure out how I want to move forward after the class. Thank you all who responded. <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Paserutaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 05:59:30 pm »
To be Shemsu for me, is to be aware of being the son of Aset, of being created by Her through Her Intelligent Speech and of being a human being formed through the words uttered by Her desire to place me in this world by pure and simple Love. And through this knowledge I have taken an oath to recognize you as the main Divinity in my life (even though I am multireligious). In this way I feel that I live in and for Aset, every breath I take I know that I honor the breath of life that gave me existence. I also first recognize my Beloved Ones as having a role of importance and closeness in my life.

On a daily basis, this is experienced in a simple and sometimes complex way. Since I opened my eyes in the morning, and I know that I am here because I was loved by my mother to the point that she raised me, I seek to honor that relationship through my way of life, practice and relationship with the world and others, that includes our community.

Dua Aset en ten ankh!
Paserutaset "The prophecies of Aset"
Paserut
Sa Aset-Serqet
Mery Heru-Wer, Wesir and Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3182
  • stats Total Posts: 296030
  • stats Total Topics: 20234
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 122
  • stats Most Online: 955