Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 53
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Anpu as King?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Redietankhesi

Anpu as King?
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:02:14 pm »
Recently, after a period spent away from Kemeticism for both personal and NTRW-dictated reasons, Anpu has come to take me by the hand and lead me back. However, He approaches this time with an energy I’m unfamiliar with. He’s kingly.

I tried initially to look into a Heru-em-Anpu/Heru-Anpu syncretism (as “Anpu in His Role as King” kept coming to mind, reminding me of Bast-Mut’s “Bast in Her Role as Queen”) but the longer I look, the less I feel like this is the case. He is simply Himself, alight with a solar radiance about Him, the feeling of... well, a King.
I know Anpu is a protector and close associate of kingship, but are there any instances where He Himself "dons the crown", unabated by syncing with another deity?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:26:57 pm by Redietankhesi »
given ancient life.
call me rediankhesi or redi please!
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Rev. Ma'atnofret

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Anpu as King?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:07:00 pm »
I believe so, yes. He can be depicted with the double crown I think.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Sa-ta-Aset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 04:58:24 pm »
I usually only see Wepwawet as king. You could always check Per-Sabu, I know Bezen has done a lot more research on jackals than most people  :)
meset Aset
meryt Wepwawet her Djehuty
please don't shorten my name
self care Sekhmet & Nit advocate

Offline Redietankhesi

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:13:22 pm »
i actually have! i've found many depictions of Anpu with the double crown, but none directly addressing Him in a kingly role such as Wep or Heru.
given ancient life.
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:53:11 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Redi!

There's a subtle tie-in between Heru-Nedjitef (Horus, Avenger of His Father) and Anpu in the Divine person and role of Iunmutef (Pillar of His Mother). But you're not going to see any explicit statements saying as much, nor anything saying that Heru-Nedjitef and Anpu equate one-another. Rather, it's a matter of context clues and the sorts of roles each God is put in when presented as "Son of Wesir." Iunmutef is more of a function that both Gods share: that of a son taking ritual responsibility for his father upon the latter's death.

Being a sometimes-son of Wesir, and elsewhere the son of Ra directly (Who is the de facto "Universal Lord"), Anpu is connected to the legitimate line of royal succession in His own right. (ETA: Anpu also has occasion to bear the title Khentyamentiu, "Foremost of the Westerners," which became a predominantly Osirian function. Bezenwepwy gets into detail about that on her site, but it does in any case have "Kingship" connotations, especially when we get into later periods of Egyptian Antiquity.)

As for the Sekhemti, there's really no express explanation that's ever required whenever a God is wearing one. That item of royal regalia is the embodiment of the union of Upper and Lower Egypt, and whenever a God (or King) is wearing one, it's expressing that He is the Ruler of the Two Lands -- not just any ruler, THE Ruler. It doesn't categorically mean "this God is wholly and definitively a Heru," though of course Heru-Sema-Tawy (Horus, Uniter of the Two Lands) is a pretty explicit theophany embodying that particular principle and of the Horian/Osirian Cycle re: Kingship Ideology. There are a few other ways Kingship Ideology, namely within the Divine sphere, is expressed and explained across different periods and places and within localized cults in Egyptian Antiquity that don't follow the typical Horian/Osirian model with which we are most familiar through Plutarch and so on. (That said, however, parallels can easily be made between them. These models are non-exclusionary, and they don't exist in vacuums.)

Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a God Who never wears one, and is never called "Ruler of the Two Lands / Two Banks." Even Set (Who, from the Late Period into the Roman Period, overwhelmingly gets a falcon-face, but the accompanying inscriptions are VERY clear about Who it is). And Set's Sekhemti-based compound-crowns get just as crazy in Graeco-Roman Period temple reliefs as various, explicit Heru-Gods' do. ;)

I hope this helps!
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:25:44 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Redietankhesi

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:26:57 pm »
indeed it does! i knew of most of those, was mainly just unsure, but that greatly helps me solidify where exactly that image is coming from.

many thanks! senebty!
given ancient life.
𓇉
finding a way.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298677
  • stats Total Topics: 20479
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955