collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 79
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: He Brought Me Here  (Read 342 times)

Offline Redietankhesi

He Brought Me Here
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:40:35 pm »
Apologies if this is not the place to post this.
     Though seemingly random, I write this more as a standing testament to how far I’ve come - a recording of my progress, an entry - saving the data if you will. But, I also wanted to write it nonetheless, out of some unexplained urge, a need to put it out into the world. So here I am.

I suppose Kemeticism, and a certain god in particular, had a hold in my life far before I ever anticipated it. Thinking back on it, even after years of being involved in kemeticism, it somehow never struck me with the power and importance it does now.

When I was only in elementary school, we had a gifted program, something most of you might be familiar with. Picked from the crop, myself and a few other students in our measly, tiny school in backwoods West Virginia were the “gifted kids”. Me personally, probably because I was held back from even entering school until a bit later and was reading full books by kindergarten. But I digress.

As small as my school was, we actually had to bus over to the next town over to be hosted in their gifted class - as for our program it was a separate experience altogether, a “special class for the special kids”. I somewhat disdain it now.

If you’re at all familiar with low-budget schools, you’d be familiar with the infamous “temporary classroom”. Little outbuildings that schools rarely had the funds to follow up on their promise for, and often stayed there for years (for perspective they’re usually meant to be there a few months at most. Yowza).

It was in one of these little metal rooms, seated with a mix of other kids from both my school and this one, that we held our gifted class. ...What that entailed, usually, was a multitude of problem solving puzzles, mazes, you name it. Practices that we did over and over, supposedly to nurture our “thinking brains”. However, there was a pattern. Every maze, every word problem, every riddle, was Egyptian themed. Help Sarah escape the mummy’s tomb. Which door should these adventurer’s take to reach the pharaoh’s treasure. You get the idea.

Even without the distinct theming of everything we did in that room, what strikes me the most is the smell. I’d call it dusty, but that wouldn’t do it justice. It’s a… strangely nostalgic smell, filling you with the feeling even if you’ve never smelled it before. I suppose it came from the gum erasers - yknow those sandy brown ones - we had an excess of in the room, but it left an impact on me. No, seriously. By some wonder of the human mind, after all this time, I can’t smell that scent again without an immediate, instinctive thought: “It smells like Egypt”. It’s profound, really.

Cmon Redi, stop rambling. Okay okay, I’ll get to the good stuff.

Cut forward about…. Ehhh let’s say 8-9 years. I’m a sophomore in high school, having moved to Texas, a member of our band’s color guard. In the off season, that being the years we didn’t hold State competition, our band had a pretty sweet gig with Disney and Universal - one the color guard didn’t have to participate in because it was an orchestral thing - the suckers. So, in the time they were doing those, we had free reign in the parks. On the day we had no laws binding us in the bounds of Universal, some of the guard members and I spotted a certain ride from a mile away - Revenge of the Mummy. Oh man I rode that thing until I was about to throw up. But what’s important about this ride, besides the clear Egyptian flavor, is what came shortly before.

I had a friend who was a Hellenic Polytheist - also in the guard, conveniently. I had been asking her about how she did what she did, why, and what brought her there. My raised-christian mind expanded in the matter of a night, and it was with this blasted-open cranium that I had looped back into the Revenge of the Mummy line about ten times in a row.

It wasn’t the ride that called me. It was the queue. If you’ve ever been, you probably know where I’m going with this. If not, hear me out.
The queue, a twisting series of sandstone walls meant to look like an excavated tomb to accommodate the horrific lines most amusement parks of that fame tend to see, ends in a climb. A half-spiral of wooden stairs that brings you into the main chamber where you load into the cars - and in the center, sitting regally, staring down amongst the floating dust in the air (because they never clean the damn ride) - is a suspended statue of Anpu. Anubis. Our Lord of Initiation. Smelling like Egypt.

(see the statue here:)
https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-waymarking-images/83c09e45-8760-4e0f-bfc3-e4be734ec238_d.jpg / https://i0.wp.com/universalmonstersuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/PG_v_full_1_tcm13-4975.jpg

The first time I ever saw Him, I stood staring in awe - my excuse being that the line was going slow. I remember leaning forward on the wooden railing to peek up at Him, get a better look of His face. Hello, He seemed to say with His serene expression, that beautiful voice. It would be the first time I could ever consider “hearing” a god. I am here. I am real.

“Hello,” I actually remember saying myself under my breath, half an initial greeting, half a response. I felt something in my chest shift, like my heart was suddenly a balloon. Elation. His call.

After we got back, at our first color guard practice following the trip, I asked my friend if there were any religions that worshiped the Egyptian gods. I don’t even remember what spurred me to ask. I just… did. I’d be lying if I said she didn’t look disappointed that it was the Theoi who called (there had also been an inspiring Greek-flavored attraction in the park that I suppose she was hoping would have the same effect), but she gave me my first steps, my first few guidelines, and I’ve been along for the ride (pun intended) ever since.

It’s been long, and bumpy, and my experience is what drew me to even share all of this in the first place. I went in ahead of the gun, those years ago in high school, naive and excited for any kind of experience. I went through knowing a lot of Faces, thinking a lot of things about where I was meant to be, only to have it changed again. These past few months, I was disconnected from Kemeticism entirely after a rather shaking introspective journey. But none of it wasn’t worthwhile, especially now. He’s the reason I’ve come back.

Anubis, Anpu in His glory, saw the young one he nurtured towards this state and came again to take my hand, lead me back to what He knows is my home. He seems to have far more permanent intentions for this relationship, where previously it had been fleeting in my starry-eyed pursuits of (many, many) other deities. It could be Him willing me to type all this, to share my dumb little story about a theme park ride and a certain smell. But it’s Him.

He’s that statue, watching countless people go by until a curious high school sophomore looks Him in the face, sees the divinity in His eyes. He’s the smell of gum erasers and dust in a temporary classroom, full of children picked apart from the rest, pointing at me and saying This one. This one is mine. Even now, thinking of Him, I can smell it. He’s the mystery of His people, His original kingdom, that draws so many to this path in the first place. He is a nostalgia I can’t describe, and I love Him. He’s my story. He is what brought me here, and I dream in anticipation of where He will take me next.

Call this a ramble, or whatever you wish, but I wanted to put it out there. I still have a long way to go, if Anpu's word still holds truth. But it seems a lot of my progress, at the moment, heavily depends on... well, looking back.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:46:07 pm by Redietankhesi »
given ancient life.
call me rediankhesi or redi please!
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Sautyinepu

• Shemsu
Re: He Brought Me Here
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 04:46:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Redi. I enjoyed reading it... I felt like I was in the scene, if you will. If I’d had a ride like yours around when I was kid I would have been on it all the time.

Not to take anything away from your story but I think many here will be able to relate. Yinepu is fond of bringing people to the House, particularly his own children.

Not sure if you’re new, but if so welcome!
Saut
Sat Yinepu Meryt Nekhbet

Offline Redietankhesi

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 04:56:51 pm »
I agree. He is the Initiator for a reason. Thank you for your kind words.

I’m not new, just returning after an absent period. One I needed, truthfully, but am glad to return from.
given ancient life.
call me rediankhesi or redi please!
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:01:00 pm »
Ohhh I love this. "His call" really sticks with me. Thank you so much for sharing, and welcome back.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed/Fundraising Bak/Team Leader

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:03:40 am »
I'm not a Yinepu kid, I'm a Set kid and I relate to what you're saying, Redi.  Set first called to in 2003-2004.  It wasn't long before he got me researching his brothers and sisters and parents and....  Gradually he led me here. 

So I relate!  Dua Set!  Dua Yinepu!  Dua all the Netjeru!

Senebty,
Neheh....
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3140
  • stats Total Posts: 294323
  • stats Total Topics: 20063
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113