collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: "Netjer" as a Deity  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Redietankhesi

"Netjer" as a Deity
« on: March 08, 2020, 02:39:07 pm »
apologies for all of these posts

it's followed me for a while, but i revisited the thought recently and didn't know if there might be help here. i've seen references of Netjer not only as an encompassing name for our gods, but also as an encompassing god on Their own. what basis does this have, and what do others think of it? has anyone here encountered Netjer as... well, Netjer?
given ancient life.
call me rediankhesi or redi please!
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Theillusrationist

• Shemsu
Re: "Netjer" as a Deity
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 03:24:05 pm »
Em Hotep!
So for me He has big fricken energy. Like it almost knocks you over. He smiles quite widely to and he has this aura of Gold and white all around him. I don’t think I’ve seen him in any other colors. He’s really a powerful feel to him and has the essence of severe importance. But it’s almost like a comfort feel too. Just uber powerful and fills the room. To me he comes as a man with all white clothes and bright gold eyes. Coffee cream skin and the biggest smile it’s like he’s glad to be spoken to which I’m sure is very true. I love his energy it’s a really neat thing. Hope this helps!

Senebty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 06:45:57 pm »
Em hotep nefer, Redi!

Insofar as ancient texts are concerned, nTr is comparable to Greek usage of their term for "God" : "God" is not meant in some polemical or "sockpuppeting" singular, but in a categorical and [insert name of deity here] set of pluralistic senses. Same deal with Mesopotamian ones. While terms for "God" often appear in the singular in the literature of Classical and ANE religions, their textual and cultural contexts make it abundantly clear that we're dealing with belief in and reverence for many diverse and agent Gods, not just One Alone (or One Who simply dons different "masks").

Kemetic Orthodoxically, insofar as I've come to understand over the course of my eight years with the Temple: in addition to the "insert name here" pluralistic sense, it's meant in the sense of "many, individual Gods acting as a comprehensive, interdependent unit." Namely, in the capacity of Tem / Atum, "The Complete One." It's absolutely not meant "crypto-monotheistically," as some critics outside the Temple have sometimes been known to say. Rather, it's polycentric: the Gods magnify one-another in each Their own unique way, in each Their unique moment. Being individuals does not mean They are isolated and self-limiting, after all. They act-out this polycentricity on very specific scales (Ptah-Sokar-Osiris, Banebdjedet-Ptah-Tatenen, Amun-Min-Kamutef, or Khonsu-in-Thebes-Neferhotep-as-Amun-and-Ra, for example), and on large and generalized ones (Atum as Demiurgos, to borrow a Greek term Egyptians didn't have an analogue for, is pretty large. Atum is more a function of every God in the role of Creator than anything else -- and nobody ever gets Atum as a Parent via the RPD, ostensibly for this and related reasons. Rev. Dr. Siuda is definitely the person to ask for further clarification on that).

I hope this was more helpful than not! 😅

Senebty,
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Redietankhesi

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:03:07 pm »
Em hotep!

i wasn’t at all trying to imply a monotheistic sense, so i apologize if that was what my post read as. monotheism has never been the path for me - i’m very committed to polytheistic views.

my view of it reflects much of your second point, a conjoining of many inter-cooperational forces that create Netjer. even Amun, i suppose in the way that i’m experiencing it and can best explain.
given ancient life.
𓇉
finding a way.

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »
Em hotep!

i wasn’t at all trying to imply a monotheistic sense, so i apologize if that was what my post read as. monotheism has never been the path for me - i’m very committed to polytheistic views.

my view of it reflects much of your second point, a conjoining of many inter-cooperational forces that create Netjer. even Amun, i suppose in the way that i’m experiencing it and can best explain.

Oh, no! Nothing of the sort. No worries. ☺️ It's just a common-enough criticism on places like reddit and General Kemetic facebook groups that it necessitated some addressing. I'm sure most people have heard that particular meme about the Temple before ever interacting with the members or leadership of the Temple. And it certainly crosses many people's minds when they hear the phrase "One and Many" without having read Hornung first. ;3
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Redietankhesi

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 08:53:50 pm »
Em hotep!

Oh, no! Nothing of the sort. No worries. ☺️ It's just a common-enough criticism on places like reddit and General Kemetic facebook groups that it necessitated some addressing. I'm sure most people have heard that particular meme about the Temple before ever interacting with the members or leadership of the Temple. And it certainly crosses many people's minds when they hear the phrase "One and Many" without having read Hornung first. ;3

ah, okay! just clearing the air. i definitely understand, too many hear "I Contain Multitudes" and forget about the multitudes, hehe
given ancient life.
𓇉
finding a way.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298626
  • stats Total Topics: 20473
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything