collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 82
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Hippo Goddesses in the Temple of Hatshepsut?  (Read 224 times)

Offline Taynodjmettaweret

• Shemsu
Hippo Goddesses in the Temple of Hatshepsut?
« on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:13 am »
Em hotep!

While doing some research on the goddess Opet, I stumbled across a few reliefs from the Main Sanctuary of Amun-Ra in the Temple of Hatshepsut (at Deir el Bahari). These two reliefs each have two hippo-goddesses, but the description is muddled or incomplete for any caption I can find. I was hoping someone could take a look and let me know if the hieroglyphs identify any of the goddesses, or that someone might already know Who is in these reliefs.

Seeing as this is Thebes, I'm guessing at least one goddess in each relief is Opet, but I'm not sure about the others.

1)  This first image features a strange vulture-headed hippo goddess.
Drawing (caption only identifies Hethert): https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Reliefs_in_Hatshepsut_Temple#/media/File:Amenophis_and_various_Goddesses,_inner_sanctuary,_Wellcome_M0006420.jpg

Image 1 (this link has a caption that sounds like a strange transliteration error - it identifies Neith, Opet, "Hor Hijen," and "Hirent" (with Hirent being the vulture-headed hippo goddess):
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/relief-with-neith-opet-hor-hijen-and-hirent-mortuary-temple-news-photo/630809489?adppopup=true

Image 2 (no relevant caption):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/41452115924

2) This second image features what looks like a lion-headed hippo goddess (perhaps Aset?)
Drawing (caption only identifies Hethert):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Reliefs_in_Hatshepsut_Temple#/media/File:Amenophi,_Hathor_and_various_Goddesses,_Thebes._Wellcome_M0006421.jpg

Image (no relevant caption):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/28300725918

I'm not sure if the images are clear enough for the hieroglyphs to be read, but I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks and senebty!
Taynodjmet - "this sweet one of Taweret"
Sat Taweret, meryt Sobek-RaHeqat, her Banebdjedet
Devoted to Hermes and Dionysos
Fedw Diviner | Self-Care Taweret Keeper

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Hippo Goddesses in the Temple of Hatshepsut?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:04 am »
Em hotep nefer, Taynodjmet!

Concerning the vulture-headed hippopotamine Goddess: The inscription above Her head reads a variation of Ipet (X1 - H8 - B7C, preceded by Hknw V28 - V31 - N35 - W24, here meaning "acclaimation/thanksgiving [unto]"). That is not the only way you're going to see Ipet's name rendered, there or anywhere else (ESPECIALLY throughout temples and temple-renovations dating to the Graeco-Roman Period), most annoyingly for us "standardization-obsesseures" here in the Modern West. ;) There's a lot of elision going on in Late Egyptian, especially once we get to the Ptolemaic.

ETA: I should note that this particular orthography for Ipet is what Leitz et al. label being Graeco-Roman. That's not to say their word is infallible, because that definitely wouldn't be the first mistake made in the LAGG volumes. But it's something to keep in mind.

I hope that helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:03:53 am by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Taynodjmettaweret

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:23:42 pm »
Em hotep, Sedjfai!

Thank you so much for this information! I'll definitely need to note down different renderings of Ipet, as I haven't paid close attention to variations before. I'm really fascinated by this particular vulture-headed form She's taken!

(And the very thought of elision gives me a sudden and harrowing flashback to ancient Chinese lit class...I don't want to think about it! ;) )

Thanks again and senebty!
Taynodjmet - "this sweet one of Taweret"
Sat Taweret, meryt Sobek-RaHeqat, her Banebdjedet
Devoted to Hermes and Dionysos
Fedw Diviner | Self-Care Taweret Keeper

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
Em hotep, Sedjfai!

Thank you so much for this information! I'll definitely need to note down different renderings of Ipet, as I haven't paid close attention to variations before. I'm really fascinated by this particular vulture-headed form She's taken!

(And the very thought of elision gives me a sudden and harrowing flashback to ancient Chinese lit class...I don't want to think about it! ;) )

Thanks again and senebty!

Em hotep nefer, Taynodjmet!

No problem! I'm glad it was helpful.

I need to spend more time with the extant documentation on the Ptolemaic renovations at this temple, but, I'm fairly sure this vulture-headed theophany of Ipet has to do with Nekhent (or Hedj-Nekhen) and Per-Nekhbet, which are related sites mentioned in that section of the inscription which are incorporated within the general area of Modern El-Kab. (If "White Nekhen" as in "NEKHEN-Nekhen," then it's refering to neighboring Hierakonpolis). The vulture-headed hippopotamine form strikes me as being very situational.

A quick note on that Nit standing in front of the first hippopotamine Goddess (also looks like Ipet), too: It's not just any Nit, but Nit-Amunet. You see Her also (separately, but Nit's and Amunet's functional sameness and perceived "interchangeability" is strongly implied, repeatedly) throughout the Late Period through Ptolemaic Period reliefs at Hebet/Hibis Temple in the Kharga Oasis. This is playing upon longstanding trends in Theban+ Theology. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:47:07 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:44:32 pm »
*Duped my edit. Dangit!  ;D
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3135
  • stats Total Posts: 294215
  • stats Total Topics: 20052
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 113