collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Netjeri studies  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
Netjeri studies
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:08:36 am »
Em hotep everyone!

As many of you probably know, I am very found of studying the historically attested Netjeri of Kemet.
I'm opening this thread for me and you all share Names of Netjeri and their functions.
QUICK WARNING: Sometimes is hard to tell or get to a conclusion if a deity is a Netjeri or Netjeru. It depends a lot on the sources you are looking for (or even on your own experiences), so this is NOT a rule!

I have a few I'd like to share and I will update with more throught time:

Ammit
Ammit or Ammut ("The Devourer of the Dead") is a big Netjeri that serves Ma'at. He devoures those whose ib (heart) is heavier than the feather of Truth, in the Halls of the Ma'ati.

Arrows (Sheser, Sehmayw and Khatiu. Also Bast-Mut's arrows)
The Arrows are groups of Netjeri that serves multiple Names, such as Sekhmet, Bast and Mut.
Most of them are usually known to spread diceases or protect Ma'at from those who causes Isfet.
Sometimes they are called only Arrows (Sheser), or They can receive names, such as the Shemayw (The Wanderers) and the Khatiu (executioners).
Mut's arrows (as Netjeri, since Bast's can be big Netjeru) have names for each of Them: A'a Pehety, Khenepib, Neb Khenenu, Herefemsedjet, Imy Wety Hapy, Shed Kheru em Khenu Tjemsuef and Ka Desher.

Benu
He personifies the creative powers of Ra, since He is born before or in the moment Ra appears in the Nun. He is also called the Ba of Ra.

Children of the Ma'ati, i.e. Aset and Nebt-het (Netetef em Neket and Sheta-Kheperu)
These two are found on the Nesperhecan Papyrus. They are said to have come from the Ma'ati.
Netetef em Neket (He which damages?) is pleaded to have any powers over the limbs of the deceased. He have the appearence of a lion in rage and he appears above the title "Ruler of the Living" (Heqa Ankhu).
Sheta-Kheperu (Of Mysterious Forms) suffers the bai of the deceased so he can ascend to the sky and "fraternize with the stars of heaven". He have the shape of a mummified divinity with ass's head holding a gecko with both hands.

Medjet
The Smiter or The Surfire One is a (possibly) similar to a sheet-ghost look like Netjeri. All we can see are His feet and eyes. He is mentioned on spell 17 of the Book of the Dead as the one "who shines with his eye without being seen, who circles the sky with the flame of his mouth and predicts the inundation when it is not yet seen".

Mehen
The Coiled One is a serpent who encircles Ra/Wesir on the journey to the Duat and protects Him. He is said to be a Netjeri of Geb or even a form of the earth Netjer.

Sereq
"To Cause to Breath" is a Netjeri with a Mouse-Form. He is the "the hidden powers of Ra in the Duat", He appears on the Book of the Caverns.
He follows Ra with other Netjeri and carry the image of the Sun Netjer. He (Ra) brings the body of those who are in the Duat so Sereq can make them breath.

Seven Hetherts
Like many cases here, They can be either Netjeru or Netjeri. They are said to determinate the fate of a recently birth child or even predict the nature of one's death. They can have multiple names variations depndend of the sources.

Seven Scorpions
The citation of Them that I know is from the Metternich Stela. It's a group of Seven Scorpions related to Serqet that Protects Aset in Her journey with Heru-sa-Aset. They also poisons those who offends Aset. Their names are Tefen, Befen, Mestet, Mestetef, Petet, Tjetet and Matet.

Snakes and Weavers/Crocodiles of Nit
The Hefauut and the Khendwt of Nit are the Snakes and Crocodiles (also called Weavers) that are created by Nit right on the Primordial Moments. They are called on the Coffin Texts, sailing with Nit in the Abyss. They are said to be the possessors of the Souls from the waters.

Those of the Thrones who are in the body of [Name of Netjer] (Nestyw-imyw-khet-[Name of Netjer])
Spirits that are over months of each Kemetic season, they protect the months.
They come in group of four Spirits and the name of each (they are different for each month) can be found on the Daybook.
II Akhet - Those of the Thrones in the body of Atum
III Akhet - Those of the Thrones in the body of Shu
IV Akhet - Those of the Thrones in the body of Set
II Peret - Those of the Thrones in the body of Djehuty
III Peret - Those of the Thrones in the body of Ptah
IV Peret - Those of the Thrones in the body of Heru (?)
III Shomu - Those of the Thrones in the body of Geb
IV Shomu - Those of the Thrones in the body of Wesir

Three groups of fishes
The Abdju, Desheru and Inet fishes protects and guides the bark of Ra/Amun

Wesir's
I've managed to find three that seem to work for Wesir:
Hapwy (Two Fronds), protector of Heru-sa-Aset, also called Friend of Wesir. He helps Khnum revivify Wesir and defeats evil Netjeri.
Djeser-Tep (Holy/Elevated of Head) follows Wesir, punishes the deceased and rises the heads of those who are justified. Appears on the 42 confessions, on the one that speaks about taking off the offerings of the Akhu.
Medes-tep (The one with sharp face) slaughter the enemies of Wesir and of the deaceased. Appears in the Book of Hours.

I would love to know what Netjeri you all know or would like to add on the Ones I talked about. My plan is to post here the basics of other Netjeri that I meet in my lifetime.

Senebty,
Hepetwi <3
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:44:56 pm by Asethepetwi »
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Khala

• Remetj
Re: Netjeri studies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 02:54:35 pm »
Em Hotep!

What about Abd(j)u and In(e)t? They are fishes who help Ra with His journey on the solar boat. There are not a lot of informations out there, but they are very interesting. They're mentioned in a handful of books regarding Ancient Kemet. If anyone has any informations who could confirm or debunk their existence, feel free to correct me! Unfortunately there are a lot of fake informations so I would not be surprised if there is not enough proof to say that they are real Netjeri.

Senebty

Offline Sesaiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:03 pm »
Em hotep, Khala!

I have a lot of information on the abdju fish (species unknown) and the inet fish (the bulti or Nile tilapia). They are indeed real, however whether they are a Netjeri or (particularly in the case of the abdju fish) a title of a Netjer can be debated. I don't want to bog down this thread with too much extraneous info, so if you want me to give a basic run-down of the information feel free to PM me or we can make a thread devoted to the topic specifically!

Senebty,
Sesai
𓊨𓏏𓁐𓋴𓋴𓐠𓄿𓀁𓀀 — “Aset makes me wise” or "Aset satisfies me" / "Aset me hace sabie" o "Aset me satisface"

Discord moderator + Spanish language liaison
Moderadore del Discord + Enlace para les Hispanohablantes

𓎬 𓁥 𓎬

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »
Em hotep Khala and Sesai,

I added both of the fish-groups and added another one that I encountered, the Desheru-Fish. From their LAGG entries they sound more like Netjeri than Netjer, but I do understand your points Sesai.

Senebty,
Hepetwi <3

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Sesaiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:02 pm »
Em hotep, Hepetwi!

I think that is justified! It's another one of those situations where the line between Netjer and Netjeri gets blurry, haha.

Senebty,
Sesai
𓊨𓏏𓁐𓋴𓋴𓐠𓄿𓀁𓀀 — “Aset makes me wise” or "Aset satisfies me" / "Aset me hace sabie" o "Aset me satisface"

Discord moderator + Spanish language liaison
Moderadore del Discord + Enlace para les Hispanohablantes

𓎬 𓁥 𓎬

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 04:10:25 pm »
Updated with a few more

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »
(edited by accident)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:59:19 pm by Asethepetwi »

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:55:08 pm »
Bumping this because I added a few more and in case someone wants to contribute to it <3

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Online DLogician

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 11:54:24 am »
Em hotep everyone, i'm very new to this forum, and would very much appreciate anyone who would intimate me about the GODDESS ISIS, i want to know her. I want her to know me. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 04:31:38 pm »
Em hotep, DLogician,

This is not the thread for it. Here we call Isis by the Kemetic Name Aset. On the top right of the site there is a place that you can search for Her name and see what you can find. If you are on the phone it's on top underneath your profile name.

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Rabon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:42:54 pm »
Loki once became a Salmon, and the Silver Carp conceals sunken treasure.

Rabon

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 05:35:51 pm »
Em hotep, Rabon. A bit of context for this thread: netjeri are spirits, not gods. If you want to compare it to other cultures, they would be things like fae and pixies and nature spirits. Which is a separate category from gods. I hope that clarifies the topic!

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:41 am »
Thank you for the explanation Kes and thank you for the reference Rabon!

Also, I added a few more on the list and I'll start a new list after this so the first message don't overflow with editions.

Senebty,
Hepetwi

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 07:56:51 am »
Would the Four Sons of Heru (the ones that are on the Canopic jars) count as Netjeri?
I find television very educating. Every time someone turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

~Graduate of Zep Tepi Class 57~

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 08:02:15 am »
Yes Beck, They are Netjeri. I thought I'd added them already, but aparently I didn't lol
Will add them in a minute

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3307
  • stats Total Posts: 299288
  • stats Total Topics: 20534
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955