Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: A simple hello!  (Read 1259 times)

Offline NorthSpirit

A simple hello!
« on: April 23, 2020, 12:39:45 pm »
Hello there!

I wanted to reach out to some of the members of the KO/HoN regarding their experiences in the faith and experiences with the Netjeru. I’ve been doing some research recently and wanted to see if this is the path for me. I’m still a minor (one more year) but I’ve felt connections with the Netjeru and am eager to learn more and explore! I had a few questions that popped into my head yesterday and I decided that this would obviously be the best place to ask them!

Were any of you ever worried about diving into KO? When did you know that this was the path for you? Had you worked with the Netjeru before becoming a Remetj/Shemsu/Shemsu-Ankh? What are little things I can do to welcome the Netjeru and Ma'at into my life since I can’t take the online class quite yet?

Thank you so much to those who reach out. I’m truly grateful to you all.
-North

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: A simple hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 01:26:05 pm »
Em hotep (in peace) and welcome!

I’m curious, are there any particular Netjeru you’ve felt connections with?

Also, to answer your questions:

Yeah, I was initially worried about diving into KO, but now, a few years down the line, it was one of the best choices I’ve made. The Beginners Class made for a great introduction to the faith and their practice,

Before I joined KO, I’d never worked with the Netjeru.
And whilst I didn’t understand why Bast and Sobek stood out to me so much - now I know! And I’m still learning and strengthening my connection with Them.

As for getting a connection/invitation to talk going, a glass of cool water never goes wrong! It’s like getting to know someone new, or inviting a guest into your home.
(Bearing in mind the beginners class will ask that you don’t focus on any particular Name during the class duration)

Warmest wishes,
Temi
Temi
Son of Bast, Sobek, and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) || Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Beginners Class Liaison || Fedw Diviner for Bast and Sobek

Offline Khenneferitw

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:50:23 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!

My name's Khenne. I joined these forums at 16, became a remetj at 18, and have now been here for almost nine years! :) I can relate to your experiences exploring the religion as a minor. I had family that wouldn't approve of me joining the faith at the time (they were Southern Baptist), so I did wait. However, minors can take our class with consent of their guardians, if that is something you think they would allow you to do. We do have a few members with children who are also members, should they want to talk with another adult or our priesthood before consenting to such a thing.

Were any of you ever worried about diving into KO?
Oh totally. I was very anti-authoritarian. And being a small religion, anyone who had any negative thoughts or experiences about the temple had loudly expressed them at the time. However, there were not a lot of groups doing Kemetic religion that I could find, and community is very dear to me, so I gave it a shot. Frankly, I couldn't be happier. I've had three roommates now that I met through the House. I've made friends with people from walks of life I would never have dreamed of, I've learned a great deal about myself through them. Many of these people I've come to see as my blood family.

Like any community, Kemetic Orthodoxy isn't perfect. When you group several hundred people, each with their own cultural and psychological backgrounds, in one place online, they'll clash. I've been one of those people. But largely, I've found our members able to overcome situations of misunderstanding, and when there has been genuine malicious intent, it has been addressed. I appreciate that. If any negative reviews of the religion have you concerned, I'm happy to address these things with you privately.

When did you know that this was the path for you?
I genuinely think part of being in the House is constantly re-knowing if this is the path for me. There is nothing stopping any member from stepping down from one rank to another, or leaving altogether. By the time I left my beginners' class, I had formed fast bonds with community members that I wanted to deepen, so at that time staying as a remetj made sense. Six months later, I had my RPD, and having gotten further involved in the faith, I decided to become a shemsu. I wanted to continue exploring my relationships with the Netjeru in the context of the people I'd gotten to know over the years I'd spent in the forums. I chose to become a Shemsu-ankh because I wanted to give back in acts of service to the community that, frankly, helped raise me in the years since I first came here.

Along the way, things have made me question that path - both events in the community and in my personal life. But it's always been my choice to continue being here, because this community has brought me endless joy over the years, helped me grow emotionally and spiritually, and supported me through some of my darkest hours.

Notice I say community here, not gods. Yes, my gods have been great supporters, teachers, and bringers of joy in my life, but I don't need Kemetic Orthodoxy to love and be loved by the Netjeru. Joining the House is not a decision about worshiping the Netjeru in a Kemetic fashion. Anyone can do that. It's a choice about becoming part of a group of other people.

Had you worked with the Netjeru before becoming a Remetj/Shemsu/Shemsu-Ankh?
Yes! I started worshiping Bast around the time I was eight. In the beginner's class, we dive more into what being a remetj/shemsu/shemsu-ankh means, but there are time limits in place. One has to go through the beginners' class (~3 months) before joining the house as a remetj (a member who has taken no vows). A remetj has to be a practicing member of the faith for six months before taking shemsu vows (to uphold Kemetic Orthodoxy as their primary religion, and the gods of their RPD as their primary gods). A shemsu must have honored those vows for a year before taking shemsu-ankh vows, which can only be done at an in-person ritual, and a further year between those vows and the vows of priesthood.

These waiting periods exist to encourage people to better know their gods, their community, and their selves before stepping into a role with additional responsibilities.

Some people do take the beginners' class (and even join as remetj) without actively worshiping the gods beforehand (or after). These people are generally supportive family or friends of members who want to understand what their loved one is doing. :)

What are little things I can do to welcome the Netjeru and Ma'at into my life since I can’t take the online class quite yet?
Opportunities are as endless as you. As Temi said, water and bread are perfect offerings for all our gods, and ones that can be very subtle. Make things - not perfect things, but things that make you happy - and invite the gods to share in that - draw, write, glue construction paper, sculpt, sew, whatever. Read widely. If you can't have a shrine in your home, make one digitally - I have one in Animal Crossing right now! Try meditating. Go on walks and observe the landscapes.

Whatever you do, if you do it with intention, you do with the gods too.

Hope this helps. :)
Khenne | they/them
Child of Ptah-Sokar, Wepwawet, & (Hekatawy-Alexandros)|
Beloved of Bast, Sekhmet, & Set
Fedw diviner | Sau apprentice | Boston Fellowship Coordinator

Offline NorthSpirit

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 04:03:24 pm »
I’m curious, are there any particular Netjeru you’ve felt connections with?

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for the welcome! The Netjer I have felt closest to is Bast. I realized recently that She has sent signs throughout my life that I apparently had neglected before. The first I can only assume was the golden cat pin that was passed down to me from my grandmother, possibly Bast telling me to honor my ancestors. The most recent of these signs has been a hoard of strays. For the past few months I've had a group of three or four cats lingering around my house. They're mostly nocturnal but have actively brushed up against my car and my car alone. I'm sure there were many more so I'm going to be actively looking out for them. So far She has been the only one. I'm hoping to introduce myself to more of the Netjeru soon.

Offline Rev. Tawa'u

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:17:42 pm »
Em Hotep and welcome, friend!

At the start of my Kemetic journey, I had no desire to join a temple.  It was just me and Bast for a while.  Slowly, and with Her influence, I desired more, especially community, and I signed up to the beginner's class. 

To me, it sounds like you've already taken some good steps to invite the Netjeru into your life!  Small devotional acts (like caring for the cats) certainly help, but also spend some time and just chat.  Sit and enjoy some tea with Bast.  Sometimes all we have to do is introduce ourselves and see where it leads us.  :)
Sat Bast-Mut her Hekatawy-Alexandros (AUS)
Meryt Mafdet, Heru-sa-Aset, her Djehuty
☥ Priest of Bast-Mut ║ Fedw ║ Sau ║ Fundraising ☥
www.BastMut.org

Offline NorthSpirit

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »
To me, it sounds like you've already taken some good steps to invite the Netjeru into your life!  Small devotional acts (like caring for the cats) certainly help, but also spend some time and just chat.  Sit and enjoy some tea with Bast.  Sometimes all we have to do is introduce ourselves and see where it leads us.  :)
Thank you for the welcome!
I might actually take some time to do that tonight. Sit outside while school isn't keeping me busy with a cup of tea just to meditate and spend some time with Her and the other Netjeru. I appreciate the advice.

Online Sa-ta-Aset

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:16:54 pm »
em hotep! always good to see a new face

I definitely wasn't sure about joining the HoN at first. my partner has been KO as long as we've been together (3.5 years now) but I didn't decide to sign up for the beginner's class until the middle of last year. even when I signed up to be a beginner, I wasn't sure that I would stay on as a remetj, or become a shemsu after that. that being said, I'm now fully confident that this is where I belong, and I feel very happy being a part of this community

I did worship the Netjeru for around 6 months before I started the beginner's course? primarily Aset, Djehuty, Wesir, Wepwawet, Yinepu... all of whom have stuck with me since. you don't need a temple to spend time with your Netjeru. try reaching out and seeing if there's anything specific They'd like from you. talk to Them. keep yourself open to others who may want to approach you. I hope you enjoy getting to know Them more  :)
meset Aset
meryt Wepwawet her Djehuty
please don't shorten my name
self care Sekhmet & Nit advocate

Offline NorthSpirit

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 10:55:13 pm »
I hope you enjoy getting to know Them more  :)
Thank you for such a lovely response. It's good to know what I'm validated in feeling somewhat tentative. I'll be sure to continue to reach out and practice before starting the beginners class. I believe this year will give me the time to learn more about the faith and my individual connection with the Netjeru. I'm going to try to start reaching out daily (since my school has decided to close now) and strengthen my belief. The sense of community here is stunning and it feels great to have others to talk to about these experiences. I think I might start a blog or something of the like to start recording my journey.

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 07:59:54 am »
Em hotep and welcome, "North Spirit"!

Starting a blog or paper journal sounds like a wonderful way to explore your journey!  (I confess, I have old digital entries from 'ages' ago, and it is lovely to look back on, whether the entries be more spiritual or mundane.)

Many blessings to you!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Shaseni

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 03:24:15 pm »
Em hotep, North Spirit! And a very warm welcome to you. :D

Were any of you ever worried about diving into KO?
Yes! I wondered whether it would have a blinkered view compared to other Kemetic groups and paths. (I found the complete reverse to be the case.) I wondered whether it would be shallow or whether instead it would ‘have a heart.’ (It does.) I wondered about the idea of having a Nisut or King. (All misgivings dissolved a few weeks into the Beginners’ Class.)

When did you know that this was the path for you?
It was a two stage process. Firstly, the Netjeru I already worked with encouraged me to join the Beginners’ Class. Secondly, shortly after starting the Class, the misgivings I mentioned above disappeared, and I started to encounter other Netjeru. It became quite clear that this was Home. I think for many the Class helps people make up their mind.

Had you worked with the Netjeru before becoming a Remetj/Shemsu/Shemsu-Ankh?
Yes. Sekhmet had sorted out a difficult life situation for me fifteen years before. She, Hethert and Ma’at had helped me start writing novels two years ago. At that time, none of it was really part of a religious practice.

What are little things I can do to welcome the Netjeru and Ma'at into my life since I can’t take the online class quite yet?
You‘ve already begun! Making contact here is a big step. And in addition to what others have said, I’d suggest two things. Firstly, try keeping a diary of your impressions, your thoughts, and experiences, questions to ask and lessons learned. Secondly, consider wearing a piece of jewelry to remind you. I bought my first pendant when I was 16: it was an ankh! And when the Netjeru started prodding two years ago, I got a little silver sistrum to put on a neck chain.

I look forward to hearing more from you!
“SHOSS-en-ee.”
Child of Nit and Set.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Heru-wer.
Fundraiser, Sema Ka (Newsletter and Calendar editor), Discord moderator.

Offline Rev. Sehedjef

• Semer-Wati
  • W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 03:26:50 pm »
Em hotep and welcome to the boards!  ^_^

I had no concerns about joining the community.  I wasn't big on joining communities back when I got started.  I had been kind of following along some of the public posts, and decided to apply for the beginner's class after Nebt-het got annoyed with me for dragging my feet (no concerns about the community, just kept putting off applying at the time). 

Senebty,
Sehedjef
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline NorthSpirit

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 03:57:51 pm »
You‘ve already begun! Making contact here is a big step. And in addition to what others have said, I’d suggest two things. Firstly, try keeping a diary of your impressions, your thoughts, and experiences, questions to ask and lessons learned. Secondly, consider wearing a piece of jewelry to remind you. I bought my first pendant when I was 16: it was an ankh! And when the Netjeru started prodding two years ago, I got a little silver sistrum to put on a neck chain.

I look forward to hearing more from you!
Thank you so much for replying to me! I'll see if I can find a suitable journal somewhere around my house in the midst of all this. I might just decide to do more of a virtual approach in case none of the journals I have work.
As for jewelry, I'm going to have to let the right piece come to me. I could try to find something on amazon but I feel like I would just be searching for it. The good news about being stuck at home is that it gives me more time to reflect and connect with the Netjeru though!

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 12:24:52 pm »
Em Hotep and welcome!

Worried:  I was not worried overmuch. Maybe I was naive, but I felt that I was pretty safe exploring the religion on the internet. And my trust was returned in kind, and I started meeting people face to face about a year after I came across my first contact with the temple. Granted, that was many years ago (the temple has gotten much, much bigger since then), and I had already spent years trying to find my religious home, but I felt very comfortable here from the very beginning.

Finding my path:  Pretty early on. I think it was when I first read about the concept of ma'at, that it sort of clicked for me and I started saying "yes, yes, yes!". I had already read about the concept of the gods being "one and many" and a few other key concepts, so that info weighed in too.

Working with the Nejeru:  No. I had done a section in world history class on ancient egypt in high school, probably lasted a week, had to make a sarcophagus out of cardboard and gold spray paint and sequins, but that was about as close as I had gotten before I happened across an EBay post for a statue of Bast that linked to a member of the temple's page about worship of Bast. From there I spiraled and devoured info and landed on the temple's front steps, as it were.

Inviting Them in: Nothing, and at the same time, everything. You don't have to do much to have a relationship with Them, just be open to the possibility and accept Them into your life. Be open to life changing for you as you do it, interact with members of the religion, learn, and enjoy life. They gave life to us, it is their gift to be able to enjoy it!
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline NorthSpirit

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:37 pm »
Inviting Them in: Nothing, and at the same time, everything. You don't have to do much to have a relationship with Them, just be open to the possibility and accept Them into your life. Be open to life changing for you as you do it, interact with members of the religion, learn, and enjoy life. They gave life to us, it is their gift to be able to enjoy it!
Firstly, I would like to thank you for welcoming me on my journey. Secondly, these are incredibly touching words. They make me feel very open and ready for what is to come.

Offline Darytessekhmet

• W'ab (priest) - Moderator (Prayer Requests Forums)
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 02:59:22 pm »
Welcome North!
Daughter of Sekhmet and Nisut Hekatawy(AUS)
W'abet Nekhen sehotep.tu ib-es yim-ef, The Shrine in Which Her Heart is Appeased

Her Father controls Sekhmet, Sekhmet subdues evil, Sekhmet controls Her temper
Even small rivers keep the lands green and the oceans wet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3260
  • stats Total Posts: 298636
  • stats Total Topics: 20476
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 117
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything