Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Netjer and Astrology  (Read 864 times)

Offline NefretNubti

• Beginner
Netjer and Astrology
« on: May 02, 2020, 04:51:23 pm »
 I just want to know of KO recognises the astrological corrisponances of the Netjer per 'season' for example this is the season of Tuarus and one books says the correspondence is Het-her but another says its Heru. Which is accurate?

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
Re: Netjer and Astrology
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 11:21:32 pm »
Em hotep!

Most of the Kemetic months have relation with one or multiple Names, sometimes they are called the name of the Netjer or an epiteth.
The month we are it's related to Khenty-khety on the middle kingdom and later it was called pa en inet, “the one of the valley”, in reference to the Beautiful Feast of the Valey, a celebration of Amun-Ra, Mut and Khonsu.
Everything about each month can be found on Hemet(AUS)'s book The Ancient Egyptian Daybook.

Senebty,
Hepetwi
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Tai'awepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:54:20 am »
I would like to add, that no matter which Netjeru and/or Netjeri are linked to this month or season, they are not linked to the season of Taurus.

The astrological system you're referring to is just one, and it is not one that has had its origins in Kemet. We don't typically make statements here about practices that relate to systems outside of KO, mostly because we can't really do that. We may sometimes have information about those systems, but unless someone responding is an active participant in that system or part of that culture, they're not likely to be able to speak from the same position as they can on KO.

All of which means, Kemetic Orthodoxy interacting with that system of belief is going to be quite personal. It's not something you're likely to find correspondences on.

I'm not aware of Kemetic Orthodoxy recognising any astrological system, certainly in the sense that's often meant in modern times, though it's an interesting question.

~Isha
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:43:21 am by Tai'awepwawet »
Isha (they) | Selene (she)
Meset Wepwawet, Child of (Hekatawy Alexandros)|
Meryt Serqet, Bast, Ra-Heruakhty, Hethert-Amenti, Nit-Nebthet-Seshat
Fedw and Tarot Diviner • Reiki Student • Sau Apprentice
𓇼𓃧𓆫𓃠𓅊𓏣𓋌𓇼

Offline NefretNubti

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:46:49 am »
thank you both for your answers, I certainly appreciate it !

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 11:20:31 pm »
Greetings~~ As an FYI, the ancients did not practice astrology in the modern sense. However, they DID have certain divinities directly linked to astrological phenomenon, specifically names of stars & constellations & the neteru that occupy them seasonally. The book series "Egyptian Astronomical Texts" (4-vols) by Neugebaurer & Parker by Brown Publishing is the definitive work on the subject, being constantly referenced by scholars today. It is explicit in how to use the astronomical ceilings & devices the ancients left behind.
Unfortunately, obtaining a copy is expensive (about $4,000 US) & not available on the web. Even many of the best Egyptology schools don't have a copy. Imagine that!! So the study of this extensive subject is privy to a select few in the Egyptology world.
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline NefretNubti

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 10:17:37 am »
the book I got my information from has this book listed in its bibliography. Thank you for providing that information !

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 06:22:40 pm »
I spoke with Dr. Symons at McMasters Univ. She's a world leading authority on the entire subject. Her university doesn't have a complete set and she tried to get Brown to put a copy online for researchers and scholars to no avail. So, if you can ever find a copy of Neugebauer's "Egyptian Astronomical Texts" at a reasonable price (say $1,000 - still out of reach for most) buy it! it's the singular most comprehensive work ever dedicated to the whole of ancient Egyptian astronomy. I've only read EATs once, years back.... and I have over 4,000 books in my library. So I advise with a bit of experience.
Good luck!
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline NefretNubti

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 06:29:51 pm »
thank you so much !

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3253
  • stats Total Posts: 298449
  • stats Total Topics: 20457