Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 85
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 10
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Feeling unwell when invoking the Netjeru  (Read 620 times)

Offline Caesar

Feeling unwell when invoking the Netjeru
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:16 am »
Hello,

I am facing a problem which is really annoying and would like to ask for your opinion or advice regarding this.

I have never practiced Kemeticism before, completely new to this. This never happens to me with any other deities or spirits, only with the Netjeru. Whenever I try to invoke any one of them, I feel this strong spiritual pain in my solar plexus and sometimes some angry spirit moving about me. Sometimes, I get waves of positive energy, like you are supposed to get when invoking a divinity, but mostly pain.

This first started three years ago when I tried to invoke Sekhmet. I was invoking her for the purpose of making her acquaintance, like I usually do when invoking a deity for the first time. But, after concluding the invocation, whatever the spirit was, didn't want to leave and remained attached to me, making me feel this weird pain, like it was attacking me. I had to banish it in the end. After this mishap, I decided to not approach the Egyptian deities anymore, until a week ago when I tried invoking Djehuty and Het-Heru, but I still feel the pain and the attacks.

Let me make it clear, I do not think that the Netjeru are causing me pain. I do not think that divine entities can feel profane feelings like anger or contempt, in order to cause suffering. But whatever it is that comes along when I try invoking them, it tries to hurt me.

I have spoken to several other persons who practice Kemeticism and all of them stated that there should be no need for special initiation into this religion, in order for the Netjeru to recognize me and work with me. Other religions warn against invoking their spirits, as they are protected by "gatekeepers" (spirits who need to be invoked before all others, for initiation), like the Hindus have Ganesha, the Greeks have Hermes and the Romans have Ianus.

But Kemeticism doesn't seem to have such an intermediary. The only one coming closer to this definition would be Heru, as the Pharaoh was considered to be the incarnation of this Netjer and the mediator between humans and the Netjeru. But I also tried to introduce myself to Heru and it didn't help.

I also tried offerings, but this didn't fix the issue either. I don't know what to do. I would really like to work more with the Netjeru and to get closer to divinity in its Kemetic aspect as well, but no joy. Am I doing something wrong?

Normally, I can deal with spiritual issues on my own, but as I have no experience with this particular form of spirituality, I would really appreciate the advice of people who are initiated.

Online Ma'atnofret

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
Re: Feeling unwell when invoking the Netjeru
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:23:03 am »
If you are talking about invoking as in the witchcraft/pagan perspective of taking gods into your being, you don’t need to do that to have a relationship or connection to Netjer. And in those circles too much invocation can throw one off balance. Doing it too much may even be an invitation, leaving your door open to any old thing that likes the idea of coming in. If you rule out any mundane health related causes, you could try a simple evocation. Asking the god you wish to connect with to join you at a simple shrine or even a meal. Like a candle and ask if they would like to join you. It’s quick and less invasive, and sometimes more meaningful.

You may want to research what could help you bring yourself back into balance. Purification baths are often recommended to help clear out the body if one works a lot spiritually. A purification bath has helped me a lot. I combine it with asking Sekhmet to help me with purification.

What you hear is correct, you don’t need to join a religion to love and work with the gods. I don’t think anyone here would tell you otherwise.
A'Aqytsekhmet "Sekhmet's Servant"
Sat Sekhmet meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir, Heru-wer
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
 Patreon

Offline Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:24:42 am »
If you are talking about invoking as in the witchcraft/pagan perspective of taking gods into your being, you don’t need to do that to have a relationship or connection to Netjer. And in those circles too much invocation can throw one off balance. Doing it too much may even be an invitation, leaving your door open to any old thing that likes the idea of coming in. If you rule out any mundane health related causes, you could try a simple evocation. Asking the god you wish to connect with to join you at a simple shrine or even a meal. Like a candle and ask if they would like to join you. It’s quick and less invasive, and sometimes more meaningful.

You may want to research what could help you bring yourself back into balance. Purification baths are often recommended to help clear out the body if one works a lot spiritually. A purification bath has helped me a lot. I combine it with asking Sekhmet to help me with purification.

What you hear is correct, you don’t need to join a religion to love and work with the gods. I don’t think anyone here would tell you otherwise.

Thank you very much for the advice, I will try the purification.

From my research, I found that that the ancient Egyptians used not only to invoke the Netjeru inside themselves, but also to identify themselves with them, both during life and in the afterlife. This method of invocation or "clothing" oneself in the deity is present in pretty much all religions, under different names. Not only that, but the Egyptians used to also practice Theophagy, commonly known in the West as Eucharist, in order to absorb the qualities and powers of the gods and to become divine, like them. This is an even more advanced method of invocation.

I've been practicing magic for almost a decade and my VPG (verified by many others as well) is that, no matter if you call it prayer, evocation or invocation, they are the same thing. You cannot evoke if the energy doesn't pass through yourself first, since you are the evocator and the "gate" through which the Netjeru are made present in your life. This may not be something everyone agrees with though and that's okay.

But I prefer to use a Cup (recipient/invocation) formula instead of the Wand (evocation) when working with deities, because I am really seeking union with the divine, not to know it outside myself. This is just my preference.

It doesn't really matter if I invoke or evoke though, the pain will still be there. It does not come from the Netjeru, as I managed to discern, but from something else that comes along and tries to cause harm, no matter which god I try to contact.

However, one interesting thing I noticed is that if I try to perform the Solar Adorations from Crowley's Liber Resh, which align the person with the different stages/aspects of the Sun god (Ra, Hathor, Atum, Kephra) as it travels through the sky, all is good and there's no pain. Also, if I use the Liber Israfel, which is an invocation of Djehuty/Tahuti, there's also no problem. And I am not initiated into Thelema or affiliated with any Hermetic Order or community. But when I try to perform the invocations without using someone else's methods I don't get good results.

Is there a necessity for proper form within Kemeticism? Other people also seem to use their own methods and are okay, not sure why this is causing me trouble.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:26:21 am by Caesar »

Offline Caesar

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:25:40 am »
---

(Mods, please delete this reply, I replied to myself by mistake.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:32:11 pm by Caesar »

Offline Caesar

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:51 pm »
Update: I have tried the purification and also made an offering to Sekhmet, but I still have the same results.

My guess is if you guys didn't have any problems invoking these gods and if no initiation was required for you to work with them, then that means there's something that simply doesn't want me to work with this religion. Which is very strange, given that my ancestors, the Romans, worshiped quite a few Egyptian gods as well, so normally there should not be a problem with the Netjeru accepting me to work with them.

It's very clear that this is an evil entity that keeps attacking me, but only when I try to invoke the Netjeru. And it's definitely Egyptian/Kemetic. And, for some reason, the Netjeru I try invoking don't protect me from it either, I have to call on other gods to banish it. So I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I never offended any of them, to my knowledge.

I'm open to any new ideas or advice that you can give me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:36:26 pm by Caesar »

Offline Saqdiheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 01:08:30 pm »
Em hotep friend. a simple way to connect could be just talking to any of the names. you dont need any rituals or invocations to connect to them and maybe thats the message they are trying to give you, that you may be pushing yourself too hard and hurting yourself. I had a similar experience with something that was attacking me and after realizing it was because i was trying to do too much I took things a little easier and slower and things calmed down eventually. i stopped trying rituals and just simply started by talking or sharing a simple offering with them. Water works nicely :)
"Heru sails (onward)"
Son of Heru-Wer
beloved of; Sekhmet-Hethert, Ra, Set
Self care Heru-Wer keeper
www.mixer.com/Mr_awesome357

Offline Caesar

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 06:26:14 am »
Em hotep friend. a simple way to connect could be just talking to any of the names. you dont need any rituals or invocations to connect to them and maybe thats the message they are trying to give you, that you may be pushing yourself too hard and hurting yourself. I had a similar experience with something that was attacking me and after realizing it was because i was trying to do too much I took things a little easier and slower and things calmed down eventually. i stopped trying rituals and just simply started by talking or sharing a simple offering with them. Water works nicely :)

This is the problem, I'm not doing any rituals. I just use a method of prayer called Continuous or Unceasing Prayer, in which I repeat the name of the Netjer as the prayer itself.

When I do actual Thelemic rituals, like Liber Resh or Liber Israfel, I don't have any problems, which is very strange...

Offline Yinepumehuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 03:53:43 pm »
Em hotep,

I think what Saqdiheru was saying was just speak to them like you would a human in front of you. Its a personal relationship, you don't need to invoke or evoke Them. Try just sitting and telling them about your day like you would at a family dinner. It doesn't take any fancy or strenuous things to connect to the Netjeru, just desire and effort. But just talk to them like you would talk to anyone else. Yes, they are gods, but they are very personable and they come to us on our own levels as well as on godly levels.
"Yinepu is My Family"
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Ra, Bes, and Taweret
Self-Care Ra and Bes Advocate

Offline Caesar

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 07:22:52 am »
Em hotep,

I think what Saqdiheru was saying was just speak to them like you would a human in front of you. Its a personal relationship, you don't need to invoke or evoke Them. Try just sitting and telling them about your day like you would at a family dinner. It doesn't take any fancy or strenuous things to connect to the Netjeru, just desire and effort. But just talk to them like you would talk to anyone else. Yes, they are gods, but they are very personable and they come to us on our own levels as well as on godly levels.

Thank you.

So you consider these gods to be omniscient or omnipresent, in the sense that you do not need to invoke them to be heard by them?

Even so, my purpose is not to invoke them in order to be heard, but in order to become one with them. Do they not respond well to regular invocation?  :-\

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:02:57 am »
Em hotep, Caesar!

Our religion (Kemetic Orthodoxy) teaches that we do not need to invoke the Netjeru to make a connection with them, so the majority of us are not familiar with the practice. I myself only know of it through some brief conversations with ceremonial magicians. If you are curious about the distinction between Kemetic Orthodoxy and other Kemetic practices, http://kemet.org/about has some good information.

Some of us do have heka practices which involve identification with the Netjeru, but that is usually done under a specific ritual intention, rather than to make an offering or greet the deity; they are also not seen as literally merging with the deity, but making a ritual declaration of authority.

While I am happy to offer support and some of our members might have experience with invocation through other traditions, other Kemetic traditions that do practice invocation might be more helpful with troubleshooting the issue.

Senebty,
Sema'a
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Yinepumehuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 01:40:17 am »
@Ceasar, even before I knew that kemeticism was a thing, when I was just a witch thinking I knew what I was doing but actually didn't, I never did invocations. Even now, as a shemsu and devout follower of my gods, I just speak to them. They know whats going on, they know what has happened in your life, and, I have found, They respond perfectly to a normal conversation. You ask a question, you may get a direct answer, or it may require some divination or learning. But our gods, if you ask me, will reach out to us in their own ways and will adapt to what is comfortable for us. When I drive to work, I have prayer beads I made in my car that remind me of Yinepu, my Father, and I just talk at Him. He may say nothing, He may offer some advice, or He may just be a shoulder to cry on.

What I am trying to say is that Kemetic Gods do not necessarily require any special form of communication, They respond if you just speak to them. When I am confused, I talk the situation out with my Father, when I am sad I explain why and the gods come to me, when I am struggling the gods let me know they will support me and show me how. Just speak to them. They don't need anything specific or super special to communicate with you. They just will. They all have different ways of communicating with each of us, and its something to be learned. But I will say, I think that if how you are trying to connect with them hurts, then you may want to try something different.
"Yinepu is My Family"
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet
Beloved of Ra, Bes, and Taweret
Self-Care Ra and Bes Advocate

Offline Tasedjebbast

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:13 pm »
I said a prayer to Djehuty this afternoon.  I was thinking about a recent stressor and driving in my car.  And what I said to Him was:

“There’s something about this situation that isn’t clear.  We don’t have all the information or it isn’t being fully communicated or transparent.  I feel like we are being manipulated to make a certain decision without knowing the real situation.  Do you think you could use your deity powers to compel some sort of discovery on this?  We need the info and I don’t think we have all of it.  Thank You so much.  You’re a good Bird.  I will pour you some gin and light some incense when I get home.” 

So yeah.  Nothing formal or invokey about that.  But that’s pretty much how I talk to my gods. 

Senebty,

Taji
Tasedjeb,
Daughter of Bast-Mut & Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS)
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, and Aset

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3162
  • stats Total Posts: 295209
  • stats Total Topics: 20156
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 120
  • stats Most Online: 955