Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 89
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Podcast recommendation  (Read 218 times)

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
Podcast recommendation
« on: May 21, 2020, 03:36:35 pm »
em hotep all,

I just wanted do recommend a podcast I've been listening to a lot in the last few weeks:

The Egyptian History Podcast by Dominic Perry

It tells the History of Egypt from the Early Dynastic times onward and is currently in the 19th dynasty (I think... I haven't caught up to the latest episodes yet) It focuses on the political and royal history, but dedicates some episodes to other topics as well.

There's kind of a story to how I discovered the Podcast.
It went like this... I was doing random searches on my podcast app, checking if I could find anything interesting about Egypt... or at least something so bad that it would serve as entertainment. And I stumbled about that one.
I started the first Episode, and it started out with a narrator setting the scene, speaking about warriors in the hot sands of the desert, about a victorious chieftain raising his stone-capped mace to strike down his enemy... and I was like "Yeah, well, that's the scene from the Narmer Palette you're describing, but that's a legend, that's not historically accurate" - and I was just about ready to discard it on the "entertaining but useless"-pile.
But then the narrator was done with his dramatic story and calmly stated "this story is a lie. Or rather, it's a legend..." and then delved in the actual archaeological  record of of Egypt's Early Dynastic period.
From that point on, I was enthralled...

So, in short, I love it. It's not only well researched and on top of the current Egyptological findings, it's also very well presented.
At least, for me it's easy to follow and understand, but of course I have a lot of background knowledge already. It may be more challenging to take in, if all this information is new.

What I like most: Dominic Perry is very sensitive of the Kemetic language and world view. He frequently quotes ancient texts by word. He introduces monuments by their Egyptian names as well as those we know today. For example, he spoke about the Deir el-Bahari temple as "Djeser-Djeseru" all the time. He also addresses the Gods and Kings by translations of their actual titles. Every time a king dies he speaks about him "passing into the west" or "joining with Osiris". And he went through several Episodes on Hatshepsut, calling her "king" while addressing her with the female pronoun. 

So, if you like podcasts and want to brush up on your knowledge of Egyptian kings and politics, I recommend you check it out.

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

Offline laurenb

• Remetj
Re: Podcast recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:39:13 pm »
Oooh, that sounds interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline Asetmehheri

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:03:45 am »
Heh. I just finished listening to episode 67b, which is a dramatic telling of the battle of Meggido fought by Thutmosis III, with some help from other podcast presenters. :)
"Aset has concern for/thinks of me"
Sat Aset-Serqet
Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Nebethet-Nit-Seshat her Heru-Wer

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »
Greetings Ma'en~~
While I haven't listened to the podcasts you've discovered (they sound fun), I'm scratching my head a bit about your comment regarding the Narmer Palette. Are you stating that the palette itself is describing a myth? While part of the "main find" at Hierakonoplis, it is recognized as (most likely) the oldest historical record from ancient Khemet, perhaps even the entire world. Narmer, or "wild catfish" as his name describes, is part of the "Year Zero" kings now known to have lived prior to the initially labelled Pharaonic dynasties. "King Scorpion" also belongs to this group. Egyptologists have associated him with the more mythical "Menes" but have not discounted him as an actual ruler. The events on the Palette have also been described in great detail. The most recent being at the annual ARCE meeting just last month.
If you have any thoughts or clarifications on the subject I would be eager to hear them. Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding on my part.
Blessings
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline Sehedjef

• Rev. Sehedjef - Ordained Clergy - Semer-Wati
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation!  Something new to distract from staring at the walls day after day.  ^_^

Senebty,
Sehedjef
Rev. Sehedjef
(He shines with the beauty of the truth of his Mothers)
Sa Nebthet her Serqet
Mery Ptah her Tasenetnofret

Offline Maen

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:45:55 am »
Greetings Ma'en~~
While I haven't listened to the podcasts you've discovered (they sound fun), I'm scratching my head a bit about your comment regarding the Narmer Palette. Are you stating that the palette itself is describing a myth? While part of the "main find" at Hierakonoplis, it is recognized as (most likely) the oldest historical record from ancient Khemet, perhaps even the entire world. Narmer, or "wild catfish" as his name describes, is part of the "Year Zero" kings now known to have lived prior to the initially labelled Pharaonic dynasties. "King Scorpion" also belongs to this group. Egyptologists have associated him with the more mythical "Menes" but have not discounted him as an actual ruler. The events on the Palette have also been described in great detail. The most recent being at the annual ARCE meeting just last month.
If you have any thoughts or clarifications on the subject I would be eager to hear them. Perhaps it's just a misunderstanding on my part.
Blessings

Yes, sorry about that... I should have worded that differently. I just meant to say that the Narmer palette is often styled to be the one and only event of founding the Egyptian state - "Here is how the Upper Egyptian King conquered Lower Egypt and founded the Egyptian Dynastic state."  And well, history tends to be a little more ambiguous and complex than that...
I did not mean to deny that Narmer was an actual ruler, or that the Narmer Palette is an important historical document. It's just that the story at the start of the Podcast was describing the mace scene like an actual literal event.
But thank you for making me aware of the ARCE proceedings, I did not know about that and I totally need to check it out!

senebty

Ma'en
Ma'a-en-Hethert ("rightly belonging to HetHert")
Daughter of HetHert-Sekhmet, beloved of Nut, Djehuty and Nit-NebtHet-Seshat

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3162
  • stats Total Posts: 295210
  • stats Total Topics: 20156
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 120
  • stats Most Online: 955