collapse collapse

* Donation Status

19%
Current donation status as of February 28, 2021 = $463.18 of $2,500
19%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Spending time with the Netjer  (Read 239 times)

Offline Jackal Lord of the West

Spending time with the Netjer
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:49:37 am »
I was wondering if we wanted to discuss being close to the netjeru without having a godphone perse. It was sorta something brought up in the chat last night and I wanted to get everyone's ideas for how to feel close to the gods without ever "hearing" them!

Offline OnTheRiver

• Remetj
Re: Spending time with the Netjer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 09:21:21 am »
I imagine this will at least sorta be covered when we talk about senut and rituals. I'm someone who really doesn't possess a god phone nor any kind of spiritual sensitivity. I was a skeptic and an atheist growing up exactly because I'm pretty cut off from everything that isn't visible. In past explorations with spirituality, I've found meditation really helpful to get a "feeling" or mental images that give me some indication of divinity. Nature walks and immersing myself in natural wonders; things I can see, hear, feel-- While letting myself be mentally open-- Also help me feel connected to divinity.  Group worship or group activities also allow me to feel that connection.
I will admit that my skepticism remains because I could obviously be fooling myself into feeling/thinking connection, but that's where faith and spiritual reasoning come into play for me.

I'm really hopeful that senut will allow me to access Netjer in a way that feels more... Outside of myself, if that makes sense?

Offline katg93

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 09:44:34 am »
So Im planning on attending Sundays chat- I wasnt able to last night- but I have read through the chat log!
I also have no “godphone”. I was raised Christian and never had experiences that others had individually- but group worship and community kinda strengthened the feeling of the divine for me? Unfortunately I havent been able to attend any of the rituals here yet (work, ugh) but reading through the posts and prayers here has brought back that powerful feeling for me.
In my time alone since starting the Kemetic path, I find that sitting quietly at my shrine and focusing on the Netjeru to be helpful for me. I usually will have imagery or words or themes pop up later that I take as signs from Them (lately Ive been hearing a few Names appear in podcasts I listen to at work)
Id really like to try divination at some point and focus on my meditation. I hope that makes sense! I tend to ramble aaaa
Kat
they/them

Offline Jackal Lord of the West

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
So meditation and doing things in a group setting appears to fill that feeling of not having a godphone! I have been trying to meditate but my brain just gets so distracted. I'm sure it just takes practice though! Would either of you be willing to talk about your personal ways of meditating? I'd love to see if maybe there's another way I haven't tried that would help me feel that connection with the divine. Maybe it would be helpful to follow the thoughts as they come up and see if I can find traces of the divine in them for example?

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:38:09 am »
Em Hotep

here a little advise from me
* don't compare yourself with others. Just because you are not making the same experiences as someone else it doesn't mean that you have no or a bad godphone. You only have a different godphone.
* different methods work for different people
* be open - don't expect that a specific form of communication will happen. Signs could be everywhere. In nature, in a song, a quote you hear, ....
* Deities are different, just like humans, and not all of them are very vocal or chatting. Sometimes they communicate e.g. more via emotions

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline bru.ferraz

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 03:04:29 pm »
When I was younger, I used to spent a huge part of my day praying, meditating and practicing in general, so I ended up developing some kind of "hearing godphone". Now, with work, study and all I lost it. What really works for me is walking while praying out loud (people on the streets probably think I'm crazy), dancing (usually when I'm most desperate and lonely, I find it really helpfull) and sometimes praying while in the shower. I don't know why, it just works for me. Group works/prayers also make me really feel connected with the Netjeru in general. I'm pretty sure that this kind of godphone is gone for good and it won't come back, but it doesn't make a difference anymore, I'm starting to feel them more as emotions and feelings rather than words.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:07:15 pm by bru.ferraz »

Offline NefretNubti

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 03:23:38 pm »
When I first became aware of my affinity toward the Netjer I looked in all manner of places in order to feel closer, this included several divination systems. There are quite a few, I brought up the Book of Doors last night because it has many cards with the Netjer on them and very good descriptions of said Netjer. I still go through these cards every so often when I feel like I don't have a proper hold on things. I do meditate and I hear them, but so often Im just not 'mature enough' to fully comprehend what they tell me. I remember having sessions with Auset and Lady Bast and coming out of them feeling imbued with their spirit but never quite sure what they were trying to tell me. 

Offline katg93

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 04:18:55 pm »
So meditation and doing things in a group setting appears to fill that feeling of not having a godphone! I have been trying to meditate but my brain just gets so distracted. I'm sure it just takes practice though! Would either of you be willing to talk about your personal ways of meditating? I'd love to see if maybe there's another way I haven't tried that would help me feel that connection with the divine. Maybe it would be helpful to follow the thoughts as they come up and see if I can find traces of the divine in them for example?

Of course! I guess for me, meditation has been sort of a "mindfulness" thing. Calm breathing, and then just seeing where my mind goes? Or talking with Netjer in my mind and seeing if I start getting certain thoughts, or if the weather outside changes, etc.
I've also heard of like, moving meditation where you walk or do something like doodle and see where that goes.
Kat
they/them

Offline OnTheRiver

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 04:30:22 pm »

I usually guide myself through a planned meditation, from ten to thirty minutes. I relax myself by getting very comfy, closing my eyes, and counting backwards from ten slowly. Sometimes I'll put soothing instrumental music on, unless I'm outside. As I mentally count backwards, I visualise myself getting farther away from my body and further towards what I'm trying to connect with. I also calm my breathing. If distractions happen, I acknowledge them and then mentally tell them I'll come back to them before proceeding.
I usually meditate on forces of nature, feelings, and life's obstacles rather than directly on divinity. I've never tried to meditate on individual Netjeru, but I don't see why you couldn't. Sitting outside, meditating on the breeze, rustling leaves, the sun's warmth, the rushing river-- those are the big focus points that usually lead me to feeling a sense of the divine.

That's just me though, and Tanebet made some really great points about individual experience.

Offline Amunraembia

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:45:08 am »
“Godphones” are absolutely going to idiosyncratic, and I think something you work on at an individual level with Netjer. You’ll communicate with Netjer in the way that works best with you, in my experience. Some people have these emotional feelings, others take special notice of things happening with birds/wildlife around them, others feel something when listening to a specific song and have a moment where they feel they’re noticing this song because of a message from Netjer, others feel it when something sticks out to them in conversation with another person, some experience this “godphone” in dreams. Some only communicate well through divination methods.

In any case, it’s going to be personal and something you learn to take notice of. <3
Daughter of Amun-Ra, Whose Name is Holy
Beloved of Nekhbet and Ptah

Class of 57
Ewe’s blog!

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3353
  • stats Total Posts: 300732
  • stats Total Topics: 20688
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything