collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of July 22, 2021 = $0 of $2,500 or 0%
Previous period: $2,681.09 of $2,500! 107%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Natron  (Read 573 times)

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
Natron
« on: August 14, 2020, 04:11:13 pm »
I've been reading through the lessons and supplemental material we received this week, and I'm thinking about trying my hand at natron making on Sunday (since that's the only day I'm free to do it). And I have a (possibly dumb) question. Is it required to be ritually pure to make it?

Thanks in advance!
I find television very educating. Every time someone turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

~Graduate of Zep Tepi Class 57~

Offline Temimensenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Natron
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:30:02 pm »
Good luck with making it!

As for your purity question... well, I’ve never been ritually pure for it, and I’ve never been told by my Parents that I *have* to be.

Hope this helps,
Temi
Temi
Son of Bast, Sobek, and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) || Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Fedw Diviner for Bast and Sobek

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:57 pm »
Good luck with making it!

As for your purity question... well, I’ve never been ritually pure for it, and I’ve never been told by my Parents that I *have* to be.

Hope this helps,
Temi
Thank you! That actually helps a lot.
I find television very educating. Every time someone turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

Offline Bahi

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:49:50 pm »
I made some today for the first time and have some tips based on my experience. You definitely want a DEEP saucepan, because it fizzes everywhere 😂. Easy to clean up, but if you have a smaller space it might be a pain. When it really gets going it froths up and falls a few times, which is another good reason for a deep pan.

When it comes to the baking sheet, I made the mistake of using a 9x9 which was way too small and the natron took all day to dry out, haha. I should have used a long sheet and spread it much more thinly.
𓆋
Bahikwiensobek, son of Sobek
Beloved of Aset-Serqet, Amun-as-Banebdjedet, Wadjet, Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Mutiemweret

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 12:15:08 pm »
When it comes to the baking sheet, I made the mistake of using a 9x9 which was way too small and the natron took all day to dry out, haha. I should have used a long sheet and spread it much more thinly.

Thisssssss.

I used a 9x13 for mine and it was like breaking up cement!!
Mutiemweret - "my Mothers are great"

Sat Taweret her Sekhmet-Hethert
Meryt Sopdu-Heru her Bast-Mut
𓋹 𓋹 𓋹 𓋹

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
Em Hotep

here some tricks and tips

1. the less water you use, the shorter the time it takes to bake your natron. I just use enough water to cover the dry parts completely and make it easy to stir and dissolve them.
2. spread it thin on your baking sheet, it reduces the baking time
3. check regularly, the colour can go from white as snow to burnt quite quickly
4. my thumb rule: when the mix looks like an icy crust it is mostly ready (break the crust to see how much water is left)
5, making Natron is easy....don't be afraid!
6. Now go and make your own natron  :-)

Senebty
Tanebet
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 01:19:38 pm »
Thanks! I'll keep these tips in mind!

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
So I made some yesterday and I have a couple additional tips.

1. I used two layers of aluminum foil on the baking sheet. This helped with cleanup and also seemed to help me break it up, since all I had to do to break up the bottom part is fold up the foil.

2. I used an old 11x16 baking sheet and it seemed to make it less difficult to break up.

Thanks everyone once again for your help and tips!

Offline Brooklynfan

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 12:59:57 am »
When I made my first batch, I got a bit... Overzealous and made quite a bit- enough that I'm still working my way through it after 10 years.

One thing I found to be helpful (because I had the bigger pieces and sometimes have issues with my hands due to a medical issue) was to use a coffee grinder I found on clearance to help powder it up a bit. You have to be careful to not get too enthusiastic and if it's not dry enough it can gum up the blades a bit, but it works well for me. 

You could possibly use a food processor/chopper as well but if you do I'd honestly get a bowl and blade (or entire unit) specifically dedicated to it so you can keep it pure. 

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

"You see, those old stories aren’t through with us. No matter how many different names or masks we might wear... They’re just not finished with us yet."

"AVITOS JUVAMUS HONORES."
(We Uphold our Ancient Honours)

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 05:24:19 am »
I want to try making natron tomorrow. I was thinking of doing just a small amount first, to get a sense of how it acts on the stove/oven before making a bigger amount. Also I'm hoping a smaller batch will be easier and faster to dry, and if I mess it up it's not that big a deal... but I have no idea what a good "small" amount would be. 1/4 cup of each? Is that too little? Or 1/3 cup of each?

How much did you all use? Your tips are very helpful, thank you! Baking pan sizes were something I was especially wondering about, so I was happy to see recommendations for that, but I'm wondering what amount of ingredients goes with a pan that size? :)
Kes, rhymes with yes. Class 57.

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 09:23:24 am »
I used just over a cup of both baking soda and salt, and approximately 2 cups of water. (I had clumps in the baking soda)

Frankly i was afraid I had used too much water because it separated and it was still pretty watery when I poured it in the baking sheet.

Offline bru.ferraz

• Remetj
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 07:19:22 pm »
My first natron experience:

- if you don't have a deep soucepan, turn off the stove when it starts to bubble, mix for a while and turn on again (I avoided a huge mess on my stove)
- use something to make it easier to remove the natron from the baking sheet (gonna try the aluminium foil next time)
- i used a cup of each ingredient and a hotter oven; dried pretty quickly and it seems that its going to last for a long long time
- some parts are really chunky and uneven, while some parts ended up thinner/powder-like. I don't know if/where I messed up (and I would appreciate some tips) but it looks fine to use. Maybe I'm gonna grind it all up and use 10 pinches instead of grains of natron.

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 03:50:04 am »
I used 1/3 cup of each salt and baking soda, and a little less than 2/3 cup water. That ended up making exactly one cup of natron (measured out of curiosity, and was surprised it makes that much).

I baked it at 290F, and checked its progress at 30 minutes. The entire surface was completely solid and dry, so I took it out, let it cool for a few minutes, then started breaking it up with a hard-edged spatula. Well, it turned out that only the top of it was solid/dry, and underneath it still had moisture. So I broke up the upper crust and put it back to bake for another 30 minutes or so (forgot to set a timer, so I'm estimating).

I think the fact that I took it out partway through, and broke up the crust to expose the moist inner part, that might have helped it to bake faster. I'm happy to know that it doesn't have to take 2+ hours.

For getting it out of the pan... once I broke up the natron with a spatula, it came off the glass pan very easily. (It's like getting ice off your car; once you break it up, the pieces will slide off with a little push.) After I got it loose, I just kept using the spatula to break it into smaller and smaller pieces until it was reduced to salt-sized grains. That was kind of fun. :)
Kes, rhymes with yes. Class 57.

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 07:15:28 am »

I think the fact that I took it out partway through, and broke up the crust to expose the moist inner part, that might have helped it to bake faster. I'm happy to know that it doesn't have to take 2+ hours.

For getting it out of the pan... once I broke up the natron with a spatula, it came off the glass pan very easily. (It's like getting ice off your car; once you break it up, the pieces will slide off with a little push.) After I got it loose, I just kept using the spatula to break it into smaller and smaller pieces until it was reduced to salt-sized grains. That was kind of fun. :)
It's possible, but I also think that the amount had something to do with it. I'm glad to know that a smaller batch can be done, though. And I think breaking it up was the most fun part of the process. :)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3432
  • stats Total Posts: 302773
  • stats Total Topics: 20929
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal