collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of July 22, 2021 = $0 of $2,500 or 0%
Previous period: $2,681.09 of $2,500! 107%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: How did everyone end up here?  (Read 249 times)

Offline Selja

• Remetj
How did everyone end up here?
« on: August 14, 2020, 09:34:08 pm »
Em hotep, all!

What path led you to Kemetic Orthodoxy, or just a Kemetic practice in general? What was your previous spiritual background or path? What made you realize this path is right for you?

I'm currently someone feeling torn between two practices. As a Norse pagan, I felt content for a while. I had practiced Kemetic paganism for a while before that. I'm currently a Norse pagan, but I use this identity very loosely, as the Netjeru have been practically screaming at me to come back. I had totally forgotten about applying for the Beginner Class; I had missed the first invitation I received last year due to a move, and fell off. The Norse pantheon called to me in the meantime, and I drifted away from Netjer.

Now, the Names are calling to me again, and I was surprised to get an invite to this class! So... here I am. I have many reasons for wanting to leave the Norse faith, namely a lack of connection to the Gods and the toxicity of the community as well (no offense to any fellow Norse believers!). I'm opening my practice back up to the Names, and I'm open to see if this path is a better fit for me.

I look forward to speaking with you all!

Senebty!
Zep Tepi Class 57

Offline Bahi

• Shemsu
Re: How did everyone end up here?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:08 am »
My parents are Anglican and Catholic respectively, but chose to raise me secular so that I could choose my own religion. They did have me baptized Anglican as a baby and I did attend some Catholic masses when I was very young, but that was it. I was intensely sceptical even as a kid, and eventually claimed atheism. I felt like I was missing something though, so I explored spiritual paths that don't involve divinity.

This had the impact of broadening my world view and opening my mind to the possibility of the divine, so I buckled down and researched many world religions. I felt a connection with Hanuman from the many Hindu faiths, but I was too conflicted having a recent ancestry of individuals who were very involved in the colonial oppression of Southeast Asia. It seemed inappropriate and disrespectful to the Desi peoples for me to be involved with Hinduism for that reason. This however opened me up to the possibility of polytheisms, and I began to explore modern polytheist paths. I eventually had a dream about Set, which was significant because I very rarely remember dreams. That day we had a pretty fierce thunderstorm roll in, and I had a moment of about five minutes where I feel like I genuinely spoke with Set and recieved answers through the thunder. This shook me, and I didn't know what to do about it. I mostly believed I was imagining things, but I researched modern Ancient Egyptian religions and found Kemetic Orthodoxy. I was a minor at the time and didn't feel comfortable approaching my parents to go over my spiritual journey just yet, so I didn't apply to the beginner's class. I crave structure and guidance, so I didn't wish to pursue solitary practice, and I ended up putting my Kemetic calling aside.

Fast forward to college. I found myself exploring Judaism, which I never anticipated. Judaism gave me community, theological debate, constant study, and structure. I never converted so I was never Jewish, but Judaism was the first religion I felt comfortable in. From 22 to 28 I was loosely Jewish-adjacent, but the fact that in all that time I did not convert should have been a sign. It wasn't, and life got ahead of me. I found a partner, we found a home, I started my careers, I found my social networks, and I felt successful. At 28 I felt like I knew myself and that there would be no more surprises. Wrong.

I felt a pull towards re-exploring the modern take on ancient paths, and so I tried to feel a connection to Heathenry. Considering the fact that my ancestors would have been worshipers of the Norse/Germanic gods, I thought surely I would feel something. I didn't, and I was disturbed by the amount of white supremacist and fascist pockets of the community, especially locally! The Heathen community is amazing and works very hard to oust these people, but combined with the fact that I just didn't vibe with the theology or the gods I knew it wasn't for me.
Re-enter Kemetic Orthodoxy. A lightbulb went off, or rather, I was smacked with what had always been there. My first real calling had never left, it was just waiting for me to find myself first.

So, here I am :]
𓆋
Bahikwiensobek, son of Sobek
Beloved of Aset-Serqet, Amun-as-Banebdjedet, Wadjet, Heru-sa-Aset

Offline Selja

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:49:34 am »
My parents are Anglican and Catholic respectively, but chose to raise me secular so that I could choose my own religion. They did have me baptized Anglican as a baby and I did attend some Catholic masses when I was very young, but that was it. I was intensely sceptical even as a kid, and eventually claimed atheism. I felt like I was missing something though, so I explored spiritual paths that don't involve divinity.

This had the impact of broadening my world view and opening my mind to the possibility of the divine, so I buckled down and researched many world religions. I felt a connection with Hanuman from the many Hindu faiths, but I was too conflicted having a recent ancestry of individuals who were very involved in the colonial oppression of Southeast Asia. It seemed inappropriate and disrespectful to the Desi peoples for me to be involved with Hinduism for that reason. This however opened me up to the possibility of polytheisms, and I began to explore modern polytheist paths. I eventually had a dream about Set, which was significant because I very rarely remember dreams. That day we had a pretty fierce thunderstorm roll in, and I had a moment of about five minutes where I feel like I genuinely spoke with Set and recieved answers through the thunder. This shook me, and I didn't know what to do about it. I mostly believed I was imagining things, but I researched modern Ancient Egyptian religions and found Kemetic Orthodoxy. I was a minor at the time and didn't feel comfortable approaching my parents to go over my spiritual journey just yet, so I didn't apply to the beginner's class. I crave structure and guidance, so I didn't wish to pursue solitary practice, and I ended up putting my Kemetic calling aside.

Fast forward to college. I found myself exploring Judaism, which I never anticipated. Judaism gave me community, theological debate, constant study, and structure. I never converted so I was never Jewish, but Judaism was the first religion I felt comfortable in. From 22 to 28 I was loosely Jewish-adjacent, but the fact that in all that time I did not convert should have been a sign. It wasn't, and life got ahead of me. I found a partner, we found a home, I started my careers, I found my social networks, and I felt successful. At 28 I felt like I knew myself and that there would be no more surprises. Wrong.

I felt a pull towards re-exploring the modern take on ancient paths, and so I tried to feel a connection to Heathenry. Considering the fact that my ancestors would have been worshipers of the Norse/Germanic gods, I thought surely I would feel something. I didn't, and I was disturbed by the amount of white supremacist and fascist pockets of the community, especially locally! The Heathen community is amazing and works very hard to oust these people, but combined with the fact that I just didn't vibe with the theology or the gods I knew it wasn't for me.
Re-enter Kemetic Orthodoxy. A lightbulb went off, or rather, I was smacked with what had always been there. My first real calling had never left, it was just waiting for me to find myself first.

So, here I am :]

What a background! I actually explored Anglican practice for a short while as I delved into Christianity. I was raised by a very vocal atheist father and a quiet Christian mother, so religion was never talked about unless it was in a negative light. Anglican practice appealed to me because it was Catholic, without all the restricting rules of Catholicism. But I never connected to Jesus or the Abrahamic God, so I dropped it.

Interesting to see we have a shared experience with Heathenry! I love the positive side of the community, and like you, assumed it would "click" because I am of a Norse/European heritage, but the gods never connected to me. The symbolism is wonderful, the stories are beautiful, but I felt like I was in a constant fight to prove that I was not like the racist sects within the community. My social media posts were always flooded with hate and racism, and I just couldn't be a part of it.

I really enjoyed your story! Thank you for sharing your journey! :)
Zep Tepi Class 57

Offline Kiara

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 11:05:50 pm »
I've always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt. Ever since I was young, it was always Ancient Egypt this and Ancient Egypt that, to the point where it was the bases to the career I wanted to follow. I grew up with an atheist father and a generally spiritual mother and Nan (on my mother's side) but never felt a connection with the spirits they always talked about. It made my spiritual path really hard for a while there as I didn't feel like I had the right "stuff" in order to follow in their footsteps. For the past few years I've been looking at different religions around the world, mostly mainstream pagan stuff when I stumbled upon Kemeticism and everything just clicked. It took me a few months of searching to find KO then a heap of umming and ahhing as to whether it was right for me. I tried the solitary path while deliberating but felt I needed the community and the leadership to learn how to worship the Names appropriately and to the standard that I think they deserve so I finally sent in my application. It was really exciting getting the response back saying that I had been accepted into the class and now here I am

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3432
  • stats Total Posts: 302773
  • stats Total Topics: 20929
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal