Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Epithet of Wepwawet  (Read 468 times)

Offline Sesbetisenu2

Epithet of Wepwawet
« on: September 15, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »
Wow. I just found what I consider to be proof that my childhood spirit guide was, in fact, Wepwawet. One thing He told me that has always stuck with me through the years was, "There is no distance between the earth and sky." And when I was with Him, this seemed true- I was comforted by the fact that I was both on the earth and in the sky. I was TODAY YEARS OLD when I learned that one of Wepwawet's (perhaps "unofficial"?) epithets is "he who separated the sky from the earth." MIND. BLOWN.

I know I'm on the right path now. It's so obvious! But HOW did Wepwawet separate the sky from the earth? Did He separate Geb and Nut? Where's a good resource to find out?

Dua Wepwawet!
Child of Wepwawet-Yinepu and Sekhmet-Hethert | Beloved of Bast

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
Re: Epithet of Wepwawet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 03:59:53 pm »
Em hotep! I just love when this kind of thing happen, it gives such a warm feeling, doesn't it? Nekhtet!!!

I don't know the exact context of the epithet, but I thought of some theories:
1. He could be the one who separates Nut and Geb, opening the ways for Shu to stand between them and for life to grow. Literally being the Opener of the Ways of Life
2. In a more practical way for us, this could mean that He separates the earth and sky for the deceased - the one who lived on earth his entire life and now needs to ascend to the heavens of the Duat.
3. And the epithet that you are talking is Wep Pet er Ta, that I would translate it differently: the one who opens the sky from the earth. I can also imagine this being Wepwawet opening Nut's womb for Geb to impregnate Her with their five Children or Ra.

It's a beautiful epithet, opening no puns intended many possibilities.

Senebty,
Hepetwi <3
Asethepetwi (Aset embraces me)
Sat Aset-Serqet Meryt Nut, Yinepu-Wepwawet, Bast, her Nit-Nebthet-Seshat

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Sesbetisenu2

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:13:35 pm »
When He told me "there is no distance between the earth and sky", it was dark. The moon was out, but I could still see some stars, too. There was a silver light on everything, lining every leaf and blade of grass. On our pre-dawn walks, He taught me to feel life in things that looked dead. He taught me that death was merely a change in state, a transition. I didn't fear death then. Maybe now I can let go of the fear I have developed since.

Wepwawet has so many epithets! I want to learn what each one means, and meditate on each one. Gods, I feel like I'm fan-girling my own Father.  Does anyone have any good sources for finding meanings for these epithets? I've found lists, but nothing that gets into the meanings.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:18:17 pm by Sesbetisenu2 »

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:58:10 pm »
"there is no distance between the earth and sky" this makes me think about my theory about the deceased. The Earth and the Duat as two sides of a same coin. One with a multitude (the parts of the soul) in one body, the other with this multitude taking each their pathways. I do fear dying, fow two reasons: 1. I don't want to feel pain dying; 2. I have much I want to live in my body, I'm just not ready to go.

If I'm correct Bezenwepwy has two articles about Him, and one it's about some of His epithets. I'm sure they can help you. They also have the BEST jackal related site: http://www.per-sabu.org/

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Sesbetisenu2

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »
"there is no distance between the earth and sky" this makes me think about my theory about the deceased. The Earth and the Duat as two sides of a same coin. One with a multitude (the parts of the soul) in one body, the other with this multitude taking each their pathways. I do fear dying, fow two reasons: 1. I don't want to feel pain dying; 2. I have much I want to live in my body, I'm just not ready to go.

If I'm correct Bezenwepwy has two articles about Him, and one it's about some of His epithets. I'm sure they can help you. They also have the BEST jackal related site: http://www.per-sabu.org/

I'm still remembering/getting a handle on all of the soul parts. Aaaah there is so much to learn! Thank you so much for the link, I'm very grateful! Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the evening reading. :-)

Offline Asethepetwi

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:56 pm »
I have made a text about the parts of the souls once, sadly it is in portuguese, but I can try to translate it to english for you and PM you

l Sau apprentice l
𓊨 𓃕  𓃣  𓃠  𓋋

Offline Nesiwepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:22:08 pm »
"He who separates Heaven from Earth" or "He who separated Sky from Earth" tends to be in tune with the rising sun, which splits the sky from the earth somewhat literally on the horizon at daybreak.

(This also speaks well to his associations in certain contexts to the rising sun and Ra)

~ Nesi
Nesiwepwawet - "Belonging to Wepwawet" 𓃧‬ - wepwawet.ca
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu, meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Amun

Discord Moderator - join via your Kemet.org account!
Fedw for my Father | HoN Class of 2001

Offline Bezenwepwy

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 12:55:51 pm »
This is my epithet list for him, which is more complete than others you will find (including on my own website, which is badly in need of updating. :P)

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkaYcY91W4WpgZJyjYMHntnsOmRhyg

Eventually I hope to do a part 2 where I do elaborate more on the specific meanings of the epithets, but that will take time. This epithet does place him in a Shu-like position where he at least initiates the opening up of the protective space between Nut and Geb. And yes, it could also be a reference to his involvement with daybreak as Nesi says. I've found it has significance in ritual too, where he can be seen as the one who opens up sacred space. These things are all sympathetic with one another.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:13:51 pm by Bezenwepwy »
On the Temple Steps - My amulet shop.
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.
Big Bad Jackal - Another jackal-laden venue.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3312
  • stats Total Posts: 299390
  • stats Total Topics: 20544
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything