collapse collapse

* Donation Status

100%+   Current donation status as of January 15, 2021 = $2,500 of $2,500 (100%)   Donate!

Plus Projected Rollover of $1,462.56!!!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Ra UPG  (Read 383 times)

Offline Senneferet

Ra UPG
« on: January 05, 2021, 03:04:15 am »
A few weeks ago, I had an earworm. It was the word iryt. No idea why but I kept saying it over and over to myself. Later in the day I was walking to the shops, when the image of Ra as a huge golden peacock came into my mind. On his tail were all the goddesses who serve as his eyes. I can’t get the image out of my head.

I know that there’s no historical link between Ra and peacocks but has anyone else made this connection? Ive no idea what it means but I’m sure it will become clear eventually.

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
Re: Ra UPG
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 08:22:13 am »
So yeah, peacocks aren’t indigenous to Egypt. So it makes sense that there wouldn’t necessarily have been a link in antiquity. But in cultures where they were found, they were very often associated with royalty. So it makes sense to me that Ra might be showing himself to you in this way. And the eye thing is really cool.

Senebty,

Taji
Tasedjebbastmut (Taji),
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Yinepu, Sekhmet, Set, Heru-wer, & Aset
Devoted to the Queen of Heaven (in various iterations)

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:45:53 am »
Very cool!
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:31 pm »
So, I actually decided to do some googling and, obviously, things need verifying and/or taking with a pinch of salt. However, I found the following quote very interesting:

“Of all the birds, the peacock most resembles the traditional description of the phoenix. The phoenix is the legendary bird of resurrection that is sacrificed in the fires of life and then rises from the flames out of its own ashes. As a reflection of the phoenix, the peacock was often associated with immortality and re-birth, and considered sacred by many cultures and religions, including the Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, Christian and Hindu.

.....In Egypt the bird was linked to the worship of the sun god, Amon-Ra and associated with the all-seeing eye of Horus.”

I got this off a reflexology site so will look into it further tomorrow. In the meantime, din dins calls me!

Offline Ewe

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:06 pm »
That’s a very cool image!

Iirc, the bird which the Greeks called the phoenix was what the ancient Egyptians called the bennu bird. It is a great heron.

Regardless, peacocks are identified with royalty. And this image is fascinating alone even if it’s without historical basis. I’m glad you shared it.
Ewe’s blog!| Just lemme gush about Raet and Montu 😍
Sky and earth are filled with His beauty, His rays are flooded with gold...Your ba is mighty...Your name is holy...

Offline Amarantheia

• Remetj
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 08:08:20 am »
I don't get Ra as a peacock exactly, but I do get him as a phoenix, so not too far off given the above context! I have gotten Sekhmet with a crown / plume of peacock feathers though, so the Eyes of Ra connection there is interesting to me~
☽✩Devoted to Astarte✩☾

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 09:03:48 am »
That’s interesting about Sekhmet, Amarantheia! I wonder if She’ll crop up as I dig deeper into this.

On a more random note, I watch a TV show with my toddler called Tinga Tinga Tales. It’s a cartoon depicting traditional African tales about animals. Why the leopard is spotted, why coyote howls at the moon (he wants moooon honey!). Yesterday’s tale, which came on as I was discussing this thread with my better half, was...can you guess? Why peacock has such a beautiful tail! In the show, it was depicted as a rainbow tail. Very sweet.

Offline Tahai

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:31 pm »
I find it interesting that you say Amun-Ra has been associated with the peacock.

He has been active in my life in recent days, and I can easily see Him liking that bird.  He seems to love the color blue, appears so far to be a bit territorial, and appreciates luxurious things.  He also has a sense of humor, at least so far. 
TahaiBast
Daughter of Bast.  Beloved of Sobek-Ra, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert.

Self-care Sekhmet and Sobek-Ra Keeper

Feed the Ka Association (FKA)

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300096
  • stats Total Topics: 20626
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955