collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of July 22, 2021 = $0 of $2,500 or 0%
Previous period: $2,681.09 of $2,500! 107%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Is Horus Greco Roman?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Robkong

Is Horus Greco Roman?
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:53 pm »
   Hello guys!! I have a question about Horus.. I was debating the otherday and someone told me that Horus is Greco Roman... I can’t fathom that ,that is correct!! If it is could some one please explaine!! If it’s not then does anyone know why one would believe that?

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Is Horus Greco Roman?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:45:36 pm »
Em hotep!

Heru is DEFINITELY attested to long before the Greco-Roman period. If anything, Heru might be one of our oldest gods; I believe there's evidence for certain forms of Him existing predynastically. He was also revered in Greco-Roman times, and often identified with Apollo, but He's a thoroughly Kemetic deity.

Perhaps they were talking about the Greco-Roman form of him specifically, or referencing "Horus" as the Greek name, as opposed to Heru/Har/Hor which is the Kemetic? Hard to say.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Robkong

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:52:57 pm »
Thank you Ha’autmuti!! That answered my question!!! Thank you so much!!

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:54 pm »
He is, but he was Kemetic first.  Like Isis. 
Αμάρανθεία Άμθεία (Antheia)
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Devoted to Aphrodite & Hera
am.antheia on insta

Offline Kaemwaset

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:48:45 am »
Horus, "Heru / Hor" in ancient Egyptian (the lofty one & the healer) is a purely Egyptian Deity. Effigies of him go back to Year Zero in the pharaonic record. Early Dynasty kings started using his name in their title & it eventually became a royal tradition.
In Greek he is called out as "Horus" but, they transferred his attributes to their own version of him, "Hermes," the healer.
Courtesy is contagious!
      𓌃𓆓𓇋𓈖𓂓𓅓𓋆𓏏𓊖𓀀

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 07:37:34 am »
Horus, "Heru / Hor" in ancient Egyptian (the lofty one & the healer) is a purely Egyptian Deity. Effigies of him go back to Year Zero in the pharaonic record. Early Dynasty kings started using his name in their title & it eventually became a royal tradition.
In Greek he is called out as "Horus" but, they transferred his attributes to their own version of him, "Hermes," the healer.

Hermes is syncretized with Djehuty, I believe. And also Yinepu depending on role.  (Hermes is over communication and is also a psychopomp.)

Heru is more complicated.  Heru-pa-Khered became Harpocrates.  Heroeris is Heru-wer.  And I think, but could be wrong, that Heru-sa-Aset as an adult was often syncretized with Apollon.

But yes. Heru is a Kemetic deity that influenced other cultures.  He did not originate as a Greco Roman God.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:39:14 am by Taji »
Αμάρανθεία Άμθεία (Antheia)
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Devoted to Aphrodite & Hera
am.antheia on insta

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3432
  • stats Total Posts: 302773
  • stats Total Topics: 20929
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955