collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of February 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending February 21st 2021 = $2,314.76 of $2,500 (93%) $185.24 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Well Hello there!  (Read 471 times)

Well Hello there!
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:03:37 pm »
Hi,

I’ll try not to bore too much with my newbie post! Thanks for any who read and can offer any advice! I’m having a sort of conundrum and I’m not sure how to deal with it, so I feel the best way is to give a little background as to why I’m here:

I’ve considered myself Pagan for a quite a few years now and have had various interests under this wide umbrella, like Heathenism and Traditional Wicca (still an interest for many reasons).

I’ve always yearned for a devotional relationship with the Gods, but nothing has quite stuck (or I’ve been lazy and haven’t tried hard enough?) and for a long time I’ve felt faithless in “something bigger” —despite still identifying with the Pagan label.

This past year has been quite a fallow time—and I’m sure it has been for many! My life has been working from home—which I’m so thankful for the opportunity and realize many aren’t as privileged—though I find myself in the situation that work has been even busier than pre-COVID.

This past summer I began to take an interest in Egypt which led me to learning more about modern Kemeticism and eventually led me to finding Kemetic Orthodoxy. I’ve been researching ever since (and lurking on the forums! ;) )

While reading as many books as I can, including Hornung, Teeter, and the Prayerbook, my prayers have been “Please let me know if this is where I’m supposed to go. Please let me know if this is something for me. Please let me know if you’re interested in having me as your devotee!”

That has been the sum of my prayers since at least September.

I chose not to apply for the beginner class in October. Mostly just due to being unsure and worried I would be wasting the time of people who were sure this is where they were supposed to be.

After more praying and asking for signs, I think I finally got what I asked for (though, honestly I still have doubts).

I’m a big jewelry wearer: always wearing rings, earring, pendants, etc, and I often browse jewelry online for fun as a way to pass time (especially love reading reviews!).

One day, when doing a search for Eye of Horus jewelry, the first item to pop up was a small pendant with a falcon and stylized eye of Horus symbol with the words “You are what I want” written on the side.

I stopped and felt a deep sense of knowing I was meant to see that. I haven’t taken it off since.

But I’m still doubtful. Even after wearing those words.

I keep thinking if I should try and join this next beginners class to learn more about KO, or if should set aside these next few months to try and start a devotional practice with Netjur and then join the class after this class (June?)

A few questions:
 Is the February class still accepting applicants?
Did you have doubts or worries when in the beginners class? If so, what were your worries?

I suppose my biggest fears are that I could get to the end and find that KO isn’t the right fit. I do worry about wasting all these awesome teacher’s time as well.

I apologize for such a long welcome post! Thanks to all who get to the end! I’m typing on a tablet, so hopefully the formatting isn’t too terrible.

I appreciate any thoughts, comments, or advice!

Thank you!

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
Re: Well Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:08 pm »
Hello there!

Wow, that seems like such a powerful sign to be given--I got chills.

Hopefully one of the folks involved with the beginner's class can address your first question, but I wanted to comment really quick on the question of doubt... because I've been with this faith since 2014 and I still have doubts. Lots of them! All the time! Having doubts is not only okay, but I believe very strongly that it is a good thing. Unquestioning adherence to religious tenets and religious authorities has caused enough evil in the world.

I had no idea if I wanted to be part of KO or not when I took the beginner's class, and honestly I think that's where most people are. All I knew is that I was interested in it and I wanted to know more. And that's exactly the point of the beginner's class: learning about the religion and the community, so you can meaningfully evaluate whether or not it's for you. If you get through it and find that KO isn't for you, that's not a failure, and you haven't wasted anyone's time. In fact, it's done exactly what it's supposed to do: given you the tools to allow you to make an educated decision. On the flip side, I'm not sure how you'd make the decision that you definitely do want to be KO before taking the class. How could you know if you want to be part of something when you don't have all the information about what that something even is?

There's no pressure whatsoever to stick around after the beginner's class, though of course we always hope that people will. In fact, there's no pressure to stick around at any point: many people have been active, contributing members of the House for years and years, and then eventually found that their paths lead elsewhere--and that's completely okay!

In conclusion: yeah, I'd definitely go ahead and take the beginner's class. You would be more than welcome.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Amunraembia

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 05:54:49 am »
Hiya!

Ha’aut gave such wonderful advice, so I just wanted to comment and add just a tiny bit to it.

I also had my own doubts and ended up waiting a round of classes before applying to the next one. I still have doubts even though I just went through a significant spiritual revelation—doubts will never go away entirely and like Ha’aut, I think it’s healthy.

It looks as though application review for the next class starts after 20 February, so I’m guessing you have until then to submit your application. If it is submitted after that date, they will hold your application for the next class.

Great health and love,
Ewe
Daughter of Amun-Ra, Whose Name is Holy
Beloved of Nekhbet and Ptah

Class of 57
Ewe’s blog!

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 07:46:58 am »
I agree. Doubts are normal. A faith that cannot stand up to any kind of scrutiny isn't worth much in my opinion.

I will also add not to worry about "wasting the time of people who are sure that this is where they were supposed to be". Part of the purpose of the beginner's class is to learn about Kemetic Orthodoxy and use that information to decide if this community and it's beliefs are right for you. There is a time commitment involved. A minimal one but it is there (maybe a few hours a week for four or so months). If at the end of that time you decide that Kemetic Orthodoxy isn't for you? That's fine. You will have wasted no one's time. You will instead have gained knowledge about this particular faith and made such a decision from the position of knowledge instead of ignorance.
I find television very educating. Every time someone turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

~Graduate of Zep Tepi Class 57~

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 07:29:18 pm »
Thanks to all three of you who replied!Yes, I’m sure doubts are good thing at the end of the day (and they’ll probably never go away completely).

You three have convinced me to do some serious thinking for “four days” as the application suggests, so that’s what I’ll do. 🙂

I’m hoping to have my decision made by Monday evening so that I can submit my application on time with a few day’s wiggle room. Wouldn’t that be ironic if this class was already full? D’oh! 😳

I do have a question about the class for anyone willing to answer. I’ve read that it’s more about the structure of KO and possibly less about philosophizing on Netjur, but do you feel the class challenged (in a good way) you and you then benefitted from joining as a whole? The concept of Ma’at really appeals to me personally, so I do hope that topics like this are covered in the class.

Offline Amunraembia

• Shemsu
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 07:04:30 am »
Hello again <3

The information in the course focuses on acquainting you with the structure and beliefs of the Kemetic Orthodox Religion. But, this is a religion of doing rather than “believing,” so there are not lessons in there which stress “this is exactly what you need to believe to be a part of us.” Rather, you will learn about what it is you do that would make you a Kemetic Orthodox should you choose to become a member of the religion at the end of the course. You will be given opportunities from very early on in the lessons and throughout the course to make those steps and see how it feels.

As far as discussions on specific concepts, iirc you will be given chances to ask about those. I believe that material is covered too, but again, the focus is on the doing. If you decide to take the course, as a student you will have access to more material that you’ll be able to search through for discussions on ma’at and other fun concepts like djet and neheh time.

For me personally, I felt like I found my home when I came to the House of Kemetic Orthodoxy. Before classes actually started, I was given access to more threads (and you will gain access too if you decide to become a student) and I spent literally hours a day searching and reading over threads. I was enamored with Netjer and the Netjeru and wanted to read everything I could to learn more. I’m not sure I was so much “challenged” as I was in love and wanted more.

Great health and love,
Ewe
Daughter of Amun-Ra, Whose Name is Holy
Beloved of Nekhbet and Ptah

Class of 57
Ewe’s blog!

Offline Ha'autmuti

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:17:32 am »
Echoing what Ewe said: the class is designed to be accessible rather than intellectually rigorous, so I don't know that it particularly "challenged" me (unless you mean "challenged" in some other way I'm not picking up on!). You could even think of it less as a class and more as an... orientation? Introduction? Something like that.

Or, to expand into a metaphor on introductions: in that way, it's much like the introduction you might find in many books; its purpose is to introduce you to what the book's about and what it has to offer, as well as covering the methodologies involved and the structural framing of the entire enterprise. But the actual meat of the information is in the chapters that follow (i.e., how you choose to engage with the religion once the beginner's class is finished!). The introduction is just a roadmap to help you navigate that journey, or decide if you want to take it in the first place.
- Ha'aut

"Joy of My Mothers"
Son of Serqet and Hethert-Nut, beloved of Mut and Nehebkau.

Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

Offline Padememheru

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:17:42 am »
Em hotep AmongtheMarshes!

First a little background of my own.  Before I joined KO I was a serious practitioner of Traditional Wicca before taking a break from it all.  But later in the year when I started reading a young adult series by Rick Riordan "The Kane Chronicles" I began to feel the pull of the Gods once more and so I began researching Kemeticism as much as I could.  It was during that search that I found the Kemetic Orthodoxy and read their main website and about the beginner's course which I was strongly interested in, but like you I still had doubts.  Did I really want this?  Was Kemeticism for me?  Did the Netjer truly want me? etc...  But finally after some thinking, I decided to just go for it and signed for the beginner's course.  And I was head over heels in love with everything I was learning and it really did impact me on a spiritual level I'd never experienced before.  Then a couple or so months after the course I applied for the Rite of Parent Divination because I knew, just KNEW that this is where I was meant to be.

Like Ha'autmuti said, think of the beginner's course like the introduction of a textbook for example.  It'll teach you the ins and outs of how KO is structured and works and what you can do in the meantime before you choose if it really is for you.

And I understand your feelings of not wanting to waste anyone's time, but like Beck88 you are not wasting their time at all.  They are more than happy to teach newcomers and I'm sure they have had plenty of them decide KO isn't for them after all. 

And I'd like to add one more thing.  I love the story you explained about asking for a sign and then found it in a falcon necklace.  In my experience, that is definitely a thing I believe Horus would do, saying "Yes, we want you, come check us out, look at this shiny thing over here," type of thing.  But of course it is all up to you to figure out if this is the right path. 

I sincerely hope you are able to find what you're looking for and enjoy the forums.  There's a fabulous bunch of people to talk to, ask questions, and share advice and experiences with.  Do not ever be afraid to ask. 
"When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama's "Godfellas"

Padememheru ~The One Mentioned by Heru~
Sa Heru-sa-Aset (or Heru-Nedjitef)
Mery Set, Aset-Serqet, his Nut

Offline Beck88

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 10:52:29 am »
I can't say that I really felt "challenged" by the beginner's class as such...it's not really that difficult and questions during it are very much encouraged. I had been lurking on the boards off and on for four years before I finally took the plunge and signed up for the beginner's class while under lockdown last year. That four years gave me time to do a lot of forum reading, which was a real aid to my working through the misgivings that I had about Kemetic Orthodoxy. And frankly, by the time I signed up for the class, I felt ready to do so. I was sick of going it alone, as I had before, and I felt like my life had stabilized to where I could focus on the class. I was getting the nudge from Set (who was my main god at the time) that it was time to do this. It was the best (if one of the most nerve-wracking) decisions I had ever made. I felt like this was it, this was where I was meant to be. And nothing in the beginner's class changed that.

As the others have said when/if you decide to take the class, you will receive access to additional forums and more reading material, which is a veritable gold mine. They go into more depth than the beginner's class can about the various concepts mentioned. Shortly after becoming a beginner, I spent days in the Ask the Nisut forums, just reading. And not just for the information contained. It was also important for me to see what kind of person and what kind of leader Hemet (AUS!) was, and if she was someone I felt like I could respect and whom I was comfortable having as my religious leader.

If you want to do more reading now about concepts like ma'at and heka, one of the places on the web that helped put Kemetic Orthodoxy on my radar was the Kemetic Roundtable. Some of the links on it are no longer active, which is a shame, and it's not completely Kemetic Orthodox in scope, but it does have some wonderful information just the same.
I find television very educating. Every time someone turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

~Graduate of Zep Tepi Class 57~

Offline Setjezusenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 06:09:20 pm »
Em hotep!

I had been practicing on my own for a couple of years before I took the beginner's class, so I was already familiar with a lot of Kemetic concepts, and I was pretty certain that KO was where I wanted to be. That said, I definitely don't think that is or has to be the case for everyone! A lot of people join the beginner's class without knowing for sure that they want to join, and I think that's good - the class is a way of introducing people to the House, and it can help you make an informed decision onhow you feel about it.

If you take the beginner's class and decide this is where you want to be, that's great! And if you decide that this isn't for you, then that's also fine, and now you know more about us, so you learned something along the way. I don't think anyone would look negatively on you for it.

Even though I was already familiar with a lot of things, I still feel I learned a lot from the beginner's class. It provided a good introduction to the way things are structured here and how the House works, what our practices are, and some important Kemetic concepts. I asked a lot of questions and people were always willing to give me answers, but it also didn't take so much time that I was unable to do the things I had to do in my secular life.
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet and Set, beloved of Heru-wer and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:30 am »
Em hotep! I'm one of the course instructors, and I just want to confirm that in no way would you be wasting our time. We're here to share information with both the already dedicated and the curious, with no expectation that anyone will actually join the religion. If you decide to take part in the class, we'll be delighted to have you there. ^_^

The content of the course is basically: a brief theological/cosmological introduction, instructions on how to perform the daily ritual of Senut, information about how Kemetic Orthodoxy itself functions, and quick dips into a couple of other broad topics. Since the course is relatively short, there isn't time to delve deeply into topics like ma'at (which could be an entire course in itself!). We do touch on them, though, and suggest sources for further reading.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask, either here or in a PM.

Senebty,

Shefyt

Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:38 pm »
I want to let you all know that I just turned in my application for the beginners class!

You all helped me to realize I should put my worries away for now and just take the class—I think I knew that but I needed to hear it from others.

I’m very excited and hope to see you all on the boards.

Thank you  :)

Offline Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 07:38:41 am »
Nekhtet!!!!

Senebty,
Neheh....
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29:37 am »
Hello AmongTheMarshes, it's very nice to meet you!
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3349
  • stats Total Posts: 300659
  • stats Total Topics: 20684
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119
  • stats Most Online: 955
anything