collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Favourite Incense for your Names?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Benerwy

• Shemsu
Favourite Incense for your Names?
« on: March 10, 2021, 04:13:54 am »
Em hotep!

I've been wondering if there is a particular incense that you've noticed your Names like, or dislike, or one you tend to associate with Them?

I've looked through the Offerings page on kemet.org, and there are lots of names that don't have a particular scent listed. I know that historically scents like frankincense, myrrh, kyphi, or lotus flowers were commonly offered (and so could be offered to all names?), and we as a community tend to stick to Japanese incense because it is made to similar purity requirements (ie, no animal waste products).

I'm still learning the ins and outs of what my Names like, but 'listening' to and learning about incense in general is an activity I devote to my Father, Nefertem. I associate Morning Star Lotus with him (as it was my first Japanese incense, which He requested), but also other florals like Cherry and Plum Blossom, Sandalwood (which I tend to think of as the 'bread and water' of incense), or Aloeswood (as a complex scent that requires your attention). I've also found an Indian-style incense brand which is very transparent in its ingredients, so I informally burn them for Him too.
I also hold Morning Star Sandalwood and Vanilla close to my heart - they were used for my RPD!

Senebty,
Benerwy
-Benerwymerutsenu-
"How sweet is the love of two"

Daughter of Sekhmet-Hethert and Nefertem
Beloved of Ra and Djehuty

Offline Senneferet

Re: Favourite Incense for your Names?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 05:16:09 am »
Sandalwood is currently my go to incense. One day I might start experimenting with different scents for different Netjer but, for now, sandalwood instantly puts me in a devotional headspace

Offline Lita45

• Remetj
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:36:21 am »
For myself Sandlewood for Divine Dejehuty Lord of Hieroglyphs
Cranberry and Definitely Jasmine for Auset Divine Mother
Orange Divine Sekhmet Lady of Healing
Kush and Egyptian Musk is like a free for all...but with names like beloved

Offline Setjezusenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:31:24 am »
Right now I use orange blossom incense for Hethert, Cinnamon for Set, Rosemary for Heru-Wer, and Vanilla for Yinepu
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet and Set, beloved of Heru-wer and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Zuzana 25

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:13:15 am »
hello my netjer Amun likes smells star anise and cloves. over time, when there will be better finances, I will try other scents. So far, my netjer did not object, so he is probably satisfied.

Offline Zuzana 25

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:13:43 am »
hello my netjer Amun likes smells star anise and cloves. over time, when there will be better finances, I will try other scents. So far, my netjer did not object, so he is probably satisfied.

Offline Zuzana 25

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:20:04 am »
I'm sorry it was sent 2 times by mistake. I don't know how to delete the second post thank you

Offline Taji

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 10:08:17 am »
I’ve been all lavender all the time lately. But that’s mostly because I like it.
Αμάρανθεία Άμθεία (Antheia)
Daughter of Bast-Mut
Devoted to Aphrodite & Hera
am.antheia on insta

Offline Iau

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:05:15 pm »
I typically use (all Morning Star brand currently) Patchouli or Frankincense for Djehuty, Amber for Bes, and Jasmine for Hethert. I'm still experimenting with scents though and am looking into trying other scents for Them as well--specifically Yuzu for Hethert! Lavender Incense also tends to be my go-to for when I'm keeping things general.
Iaunehehnydjehuty
Eternal Adoration of Djehuty | YOW-neh-HEH-nee-djeh-HOO-tee
Meset Djehuty Meryt Bes her Hethert-Sekhmet
Discord Moderator | Sau Apprentice
My Art | Blog

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:14:45 pm »
Em hotep!

I've been wondering if there is a particular incense that you've noticed your Names like, or dislike, or one you tend to associate with Them?

I've looked through the Offerings page on kemet.org, and there are lots of names that don't have a particular scent listed. I know that historically scents like frankincense, myrrh, kyphi, or lotus flowers were commonly offered (and so could be offered to all names?), and we as a community tend to stick to Japanese incense because it is made to similar purity requirements (ie, no animal waste products).

I'm still learning the ins and outs of what my Names like, but 'listening' to and learning about incense in general is an activity I devote to my Father, Nefertem. I associate Morning Star Lotus with him (as it was my first Japanese incense, which He requested), but also other florals like Cherry and Plum Blossom, Sandalwood (which I tend to think of as the 'bread and water' of incense), or Aloeswood (as a complex scent that requires your attention). I've also found an Indian-style incense brand which is very transparent in its ingredients, so I informally burn them for Him too.
I also hold Morning Star Sandalwood and Vanilla close to my heart - they were used for my RPD!

Senebty,
Benerwy

Em hotep nefer, Benerwy and all! ;D

I rather wish Hemet (AUS) had started keeping records of RPD offerings back in 2016, haha. Would that I knew what she offered for the RPDs she conducted the day I was Divined. Ah well. :)

My uses/offerings of incense are overwhelmingly tied-up, though not immovably confined to, Ancient substances and uses. Some things are not available or sustainable Modernly and/or in the Western Hemisphere, so I make some adjustments and substitutions wherever possible.

I tend to stick to traditional scents (frankincense and myrrh) for Senut in particular, though I've since drastically cut back on Frankincense due to learning that it's threatened by over-harvesting and desertification. Insofar as I know, myrrh is still on the "okay" list, so that's remained my primary incense.

I have differing recipes for kapet from a few different sources, but have yet to actually try making any of them. If myrrh turns out to be threatened/endangered as well, I may just start making kapet from scratch sans myrrh and use that as my basic incense instead.

Certain species of Old World pine and true cedar have specific meanings for Set heka-wise, particularly where it concerns His form of Set-Bʔr, so when I do Set-related heka (e.g., praying for other people's recovery from illness), out comes the cedar. ;) The cedar I use is Japanese, of course, so it's technically a cypress/juniper and not derived from (vulnerable/threatened) true cedar wood. That said, it has nearly all the same properties (strength, aromatic quality, insect-repellent properties, etc.) as the relevant Mediterranean true cedars, so I'm not as picky about it. :P

As for florals, I overwhelmingly use jasmine. Jasmine also has Ancient Near Eastern and Northeast African applications, oddly enough. For obvious reasons it's typically associated with India and East Asian cultures, but jasmine was arguably acclimatized in Ancient Egypt (likely by way of Yemen, the Red Sea and Eastern Desert trade routes) before the close of the New Kingdom Period, though a more robust portion of the evidence dates to the Graeco-Roman Period. For those reasons and others, it has some "Asiatic" connotations about it, and miiiiight, possibly, also be one of the inspirations for the elusive "South-Flower" . . . though in any case, I regard it as a workable substitute for whatever the South-Flower actually was, if indeed it was based on any one real plant to begin with. All of the aforementioned factors into my devotions for a series of long-winded personal reasons, but I won't get into them here. ;) In the main, though, I view jasmine as "general purpose." It's very widely cultivated and far from endangered, has an exceptional aroma, and it makes things like tea and cakes taste heavenly. :3

As for things with no correlation I know of to anything specifically Ancient Egyptian, and no articulate rationales behind them: I like offering lilac to my Fathers, bergamot for Set and Djehuty specifically, and eucalyptus (especially when combined with mint) to my Beloveds Herishef and Wesir-Narefy. :) Those particular plants/scents just put me in mind of those Gods for reasons I can't name.

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Shenuty

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 01:00:12 pm »
Myrrh. Wepwawet/Wepwawet-Ra is the Lord of Myrrh, and it’s my go-to incense.

I’ve noticed that Heru-Wer and Set seem to like Dragon’s Blood and Frankincense. Sokar-Wesir likes Green Tea and Jasmine.

But I go through so much myrrh incense :b
kemetic revivalist. devoted to Wepwawet-Ra, Wadjet-Bast, Heru-Wer, Sokar-Wesir, Set, and Satet.
celto-germanic polytheist dedicated to Odin, an Cailleach, Freyja. hearthkeeper, seer.

Offline Emsenet

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:15:22 pm »
I love using raw kyphi/kapet. It’s perhaps my favourite scent — but as it’s quite expensive to burn daily, I only use it on special occasions and I prefer Japanese incense for my daily Senut.

One of Aset’s epithets is the Lady of Myrrh (*high fives Shenuty*), so when I have access to myrrh incense, that’s my preferred option. My incense stick brand of choice is Shoyeido, who make ritually pure, charcoal-free Tibetan Buddhist blends, and I’m currently burning through a box of their Honoka blend — sandalwood and frankincense.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:20:25 pm by Emsenet »

Online TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 03:34:26 pm »
Myrrh.  As someone else has mentioned, Aset is called "Lady of Myrrh".  Myrrh is the only incense I have. 

I get migraines so I can't have strong scents around me, but the Nippon Kodo Morning Star incense Myrrh is mostly okay for me.  Aset seems to like it. 

If I can't use myrrh, I pour a bowl of Florida Water for scent. 
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Online Rev. Tawa'u

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 03:37:39 pm »
I use Japanese incense, primarily Morning Star, Nippon Kodo, and Shoyeido.

Bast-Mut is fond of florals and sweet scents.  I'm using mostly Vanilla, Jasmine, Lotus, Cherry Blossom, and Peony Tree scents for Her.  I also have Sandlewood, which goes over great with the whole lineup.
Bast-Mut's Priest & Soldier
www.BastMut.org

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 09:01:18 pm »
I get a bit fussy and fiddly with specific incenses for certain gods when I have the budget, but my long-standing everyday go-to has been Nippon Kodo's "Mainichi-Koh" (i.e., "Everyday Incense") sandalwood. It's inexpensive, avoids what we call the "poop-stick" problem at my house (i.e., some incenses are made using cow dung as a binder), and, at least in my opinion, smells quite nice. I've endeavored to keep a box around at all times for various purposes since I discovered it about 20 years ago while in Japan. It's available on Amazon and plenty of other places.

For Ra-Heruakhety, I tend toward frankincense and myrrh, but my current living situation makes burning resin using charcoal an overcomplicated pain in the rump (that's technically a lease violation), and there's also the sustainability issues others have pointed out...so I'll keep Morning Star's take on both of those scents around if I'm feeling like I want to use them.

For Set, I've tended to use dragon's blood resin for a long time--but again, the charcoal issue, and I think there might also be sustainability concerns there, too. I think I'm gonna try giving cedar a spin at some point, based on Sedjfai's discussion of it. I wasn't aware of its association with him before, but I could certainly see it being a good, strong match.
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302216
  • stats Total Topics: 20862
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal