collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Favourite Incense for your Names?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
Re: Favourite Incense for your Names?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 09:05:36 am »
(Thank you, Khesret, for reviving the thread! ;D )

Something I forgot to mention concerning my Great Father, Banebdjedet, which some of His Beloveds-of in the House might like to know if they didn't already:

CINNAMON. :D

Both cassia cinnamon and "true" cinnamon. Not entirely sure how over-harvested the latter might be, as it's a "special order" kind of spice, so I opt for the much more widely available variety of cassia one can find in the baking aisle of any given grocery store.

Cinnamon was an important ingredient in the essential Mendesian unguent that plays a role in (what little we know of) daily ritual for Banebdjedet's cult.

The following overlaps with the "Bread Thread," wherever that may have gone:

I've also worked cinnamon into the simulacra I've settled on for the conical SA-bread (punning on SAt, meaning "slaughter," which is traditionally a very heavy-doughed wheat flour- and honey-based bread incorporating animal fat as "God's enemy's flesh substitute" that I throw cinnamon into, riffing off an old family recipe for a particular kind of cylindrical Sicilian dessert-bread that comes out of the oven looking like 6-Pdr tank shells, hahaha) and tA-wr, "Great Bread," which is basically like a cinnamon-raisin loaf. "Great Bread" is a general offering item for every God, insofar as I am presently aware, but on a personal level I associate it with my Father Banebdjedet first and foremost. There are A LOT of Amun-Re-specific breads listed at His temples (including but not limited to Hebet Temple, which is a big source of ritual inspiration for me and is a place where Banebdjedet is very explicitly identified as His Most Mysterious of Mysterious Manifestations, Djefedjef, "Hidden Within His Eye/Iris"), but I tend to focus on those two types of offering-loaf because of the cinnamon I put in them. :)

Senebty!
Sedjfai

"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Sesaiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 03:26:21 pm »
I can second the cinnamon suggestion for all the reasons listed historically! :) I have an incense that I use on special occasion, Fred Soll's Resin on a Stick incense in the Frankincense and Myrrh with Cinnamon scent. They also have a single note cinnamon incense. I lean towards the variant with frankincense and myrrh since traditionally the Mendesian consists of strong myrrh and cinnamon notes.

My general use incense is the very commonly used Morning Star Japanese incense of which I have a wide selection. For (Aset-)Hatmehyt I default to either myrrh or jasmine. I have the Fred Soll Moonlight Jasmine which is another special occasion offering.

Cedar is also a popular offering at my house. I have the Morning Star sticks as well as compressed bricks of wood. I find I prefer the bricks because they have a stronger and more pleasant scent. It takes a bit more time to get it burning, but it is well worth it.

Rose is a scent I always keep on hand, although I most commonly use it for my Akhu for personal reasons.
𓊨𓏏𓁥𓋴𓋴𓐠𓄿𓀁𓀀

Meset Aset Weret Hatmehyt
Mery Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, Amun-Ra-Banebdjedet, her Hethert-Sekhmet

Offline Tanebet

• W'ab (priest) - Kherep Sebau (Education Director), Semer-Wati
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 05:49:55 am »
For Heru-Sa-Aset I am mostly using Kyphi or Sandalwood

Cedar, pine or frankincense for Wesir.

I make my own Kyphi, additionally I use Japanese incense sticks.
Tanebetheru "Heru's Lordship"
Sat Heru Sa Aset her Nisut (AUS), Meryt Ra-Heru-akhety her Heru-Behedety
Heri-Sesheta Heru-Sa-Aset

This is what I was born to: to live, to love, to know, to change and embrace the infinite.
Normandi Ellis: "Awakening Osiris"

Offline Lita45

• Remetj
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 06:18:54 am »
Sandlewood
Dejehuty and Ogdoad Mainly
Kush Dedun
Lavender Hathor
Cinnamon/ Cherry Auset/ Ausar
Sekhmet Orangy Scents

Offline DarkDragonoffire

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 08:10:50 pm »
I have been using all kinds of incense for the house but have not settled on a specific type for the alter yet. But i did want to ask (if this is against  the rules please delete my post) where if at all possible can you get kyphi incense sticks, or is this only a powder?

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 07:45:59 am »
I have been using all kinds of incense for the house but have not settled on a specific type for the alter yet. But i did want to ask (if this is against  the rules please delete my post) where if at all possible can you get kyphi incense sticks, or is this only a powder?

Em hotep nefer, DarkDragonoffire!

Kapet (kyphi) is typically sold as pellets or in granular form (that is, without the traditional wine, honey, and fruit ingredients commonly mentioned in a few different Ancient recipes), and you can find either form fairly easily enough on Etsy. I don't have a particular seller I would personally recommend, so it'll be a process of trial and error on your end. :)

Otherwise, you can try your hand at making your own kapet. Lise Manniche lists one or two recipes for it in a now-OOP text she published a couple decades or so ago, which primarily deals with Ancient Egyptian incense and perfume. I have a copy of it in my personal library. I'd be happy to scan the relevant pages for you, if you're interested. ;D

Senebty!
Sedjfai
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Offline Shaseni

• Shemsu
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 03:24:48 pm »
Before my RPD, I used a lot of myrrh for Senut. Sometimes a little amber. Since my RPD, and to be honest from a few weeks beforehand, I changed from myrrh, and rarely use it now except for special festivals.

Instead, on Saturdays (Set-urdays!), Mondays, and Wednesdays, Set chooses frankincense. On Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, Nit chooses sandalwood, as do Nebt-het and Seshat if They are emphasized. They really don't seem to vary from those choices—so far at least—but I do check. Fridays is Beloveds' day: Sekhmet tends to choose sandalwood, Hethert mostly chooses amber, and Heru-wer often wants whatever Set gets!

I don't know whether They choose what They choose because They know I like those fragrances—which I do!—or whether those are Their actual preferences for the context of my shrine. Perhaps They're making it easy for me by sticking to a routine. Or perhaps They know my wife's preferences!

All the above are Nippon Kodo Morning Star.
“SHOSS-en-ee”—"Tread on my enemies!"
Child of Nit-Nebthet-Seshat and Set.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert and Heru-wer.
Fundraiser, Sema Ka (Newsletter and Calendar editor), Discord moderator.

Offline Sesaiaset

• Shemsu
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 10:19:45 pm »
Lise Manniche lists one or two recipes for it in a now-OOP text she published a couple decades or so ago, which primarily deals with Ancient Egyptian incense and perfume. I have a copy of it in my personal library. I'd be happy to scan the relevant pages for you, if you're interested. ;D

This text is also available via the Internet Archive. It costs nothing to create an account and borrow books, so I highly recommend using Open Library if you're looking for books! Chapter 3 contains the section on kyphi.
𓊨𓏏𓁥𓋴𓋴𓐠𓄿𓀁𓀀

Meset Aset Weret Hatmehyt
Mery Nit-Nebthet-Seshat, Amun-Ra-Banebdjedet, her Hethert-Sekhmet

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302215
  • stats Total Topics: 20862
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal