Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

0%
Current donation status as of April 22, 2021 = $0.00 of $2,500
Final Donations for the period ending April 21, 2021 = $2,429.45 of $2,500 (97%) $70.55 of Rollover Fund used.
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Pets: netjeri and akhu  (Read 428 times)

Offline Senneferet

Pets: netjeri and akhu
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:06:26 am »
I recently lost one of my precious cats and am having a hard time with the grief. I've been looking through the forum looking for prayers and other stuff that might help. I saw somebody mention that pets cannot be part of our akhu but become netjeri. Does anyone have any more info on this? Once we get her ashes back, we're putting her in a special cat-shaped urn and I'd like to be able to give her the appropriate prayers and offerings.

Offline Rev. Raheri

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Pets: netjeri and akhu
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:02:35 am »
Since pets don't have kau they are not transformed into akhu. They are netjeri and remain such in the Duat.

However, many members have special shrines dedicated to past pets in their home. While not official in any way, my personal akhu shrine does have a picture of a previous pet because I wanted his picture near others I love. Overall, do what feels comfortable for you.
Son of Wesir-Sokar | Heri-sesheta
Awakening in Amenti | revmatt@kemet.org

"O my Mother Nut, stretch Yourself over me,
that I may be placed among the imperishable stars which are in You, and that I may never die."

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:56 pm »
I have my Rottweiler, Kieta's, ashes on my informal Netjer shrine, but consider her as a part of my akhu even if she is netjeri. She loves people and it wouldn't feel right to not have her, with my people.
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed. Temple Board Member

Offline Nesiwepwawet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:01:17 pm »
Remember that even though your pet doesn't become one of your Akhu, the Netjeri can still be with us if we invite them to do so, and we can develop relationships with them. So it is not about them being 'lesser' than Akhu -- just different :) Differences to celebrate.

If one's Akhu are amenable (as well as your Netjeri!), honoring your Netjeri along with your Akhu may very well be something that works for you.  In other cases, having separate spaces or objects may work better, but it will depend entirely on your personal situation and what your Netjeri, Akhu, etc. are looking for from you in specific. Netjeri can inhabit just about anything, so for example a plush form for a passed pet may be something they quite like! Or perhaps they'd like a little shrine home of their own.

Similar to Akhu and Netjeru, what each one wants from us as individuals, and in the form that they take specifically, will change.

How you touch base with Netjeri you'd like to work with / invite in / etc. and establishing a relationship will vary from person to person as well. There is no 100% "Kemetic Orthodoxy-stamped" way to do it. As long as you approach them with sincerity, that is what matters the most.

As for offerings, cool water is a great staple, and with pets -- perhaps small things they enjoyed in life, as a place to start? But what you develop with your Netjeri through the course of that relationship, it will be entirely up to you.

~ Nesi
Nesiwepwawet - "Belonging to Wepwawet" 𓃧‬ - wepwawet.ca
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu, meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Amun

Discord Moderator - join via your Kemet.org account!
Fedw for my Father | HoN Class of 2001

Online Emsenet

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 03:31:51 am »
I keep my dog Lily’s shrine on my Akhu shrine. I know she’s not an akh, but it feels right. ;)

I actually had Rev. Neshnyt consult with Yinepu via fedw to confirm whether on not she was hanging around and wanted to be honoured as a netjeri! Let me tell you — I cried. Hard!

I keep a bowl of water, some dog toys, a teddy bear (she always loved teddies), and some of her favourite treats. When the treats get too stale, I replace them and put the old ones in the compost.

I don’t have any ... formal, I guess, interactions with her. Sometimes I catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye, or I hear little pitter patters, or my cats become fixated. In those instances, I just say hello. ❤️
so we live like we have lost, and we love like we are broken
and as the colour leaves the sky, we're left in reverence of the frailty of it all

𓇉

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 04:23:07 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss.

I too struggle with the loss of my first 3 "adult life" pets, and have created a "petjeri" area for them near my akhu shrine. They spend time with me, and it helps ease the pain, a little bit at least.

I pray that you find some level of comfort, though the pain will never fully be gone, in however you choose to honor them. Like others said, they are not akhu, so they never needed to go through judgement and testing, they get to go right to the duat, and come visit us whenever they want. They are free of pain and worry, and can receive offerings and love from us right away.
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline Senneferet

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 08:22:29 am »
Thank you to everyone for your replies, particularly to Padjaiemweru. Your response was very comforting and cleared things up for me. Figaro's ashes came back to us today and she's waiting in her temporary box with some lilies next to her. We'll be transferring her to a cat shaped urn when it arrives, so she can sit in the garden and enjoy basking in the sunshine like she used to.

Offline Tarytenyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 05:58:56 pm »
Em hotep, Senneferet.

This is a prayer I wrote years ago that has comforted many friends, Kemetic and non-Kemetic alike. If this is of use to you, feel free to use it.

Note: This is for personal use only and should not be shared outside of the forums.

A Prayer for a Beloved Pet that has Gone West

I pray to the spirit of my beloved [pet name]. I miss you so dearly, and I want you to know how much you were loved. When you were here, I loved when [insert precious memory here], and I will always cherish that memory. May Yinepu collect all that you are, and may He guide you to the beautiful West. ++ May you play under the warm light of Ra every day and never tire. May Khepera greet you every morning, and may Khonsu watch over you every night. May you always have a warm bed to return to, a sunny place to rest, all of the foods, treats, and toys your heart desires, and many friends to share your time with.

I pray also to my akh [insert name], my [insert relation]. My dearly loved [type of pet] [pet name] has passed to the West, and I ask that you watch over [pet name] and take care of them.

(Wait to see if the akh accepts your request, or ask another akh if not. If you don't have a particular named akh come forth, you can ask *all* of them)

[akh's name], I entrust [pet name] to you. May you love them as deeply as I loved them. May you care for them in my stead. May they be as valuable to you as gold, as precious to you as silver and lapis. May you cherish them as I have cherished them until that moment that I step foot in the Beautiful West.

++If another pet has passed on before them, I would add here "May [list pets here] greet you when you step into the Field of Reeds."[/list]
Taryt En Yinepu "Respect for Yinepu"
Sat Yinepu-Wepwawet her (Hekatawy Alexandros)|, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert her Djehuty her Montu
--Sau Apprentice--
"The best thing in life is to wake up tomorrow." -- Uncle Jack

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 03:04:09 pm »
That prayer is beautiful, and of course made me bawl big, giant tears. Thank you for sharing
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3405
  • stats Total Posts: 301420
  • stats Total Topics: 20756
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 121
  • stats Most Online: 955