collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of June 14, 2021 = $1,847.64 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Seth?  (Read 707 times)

Offline Helel

Seth?
« on: May 15, 2021, 11:25:21 pm »
Hello,

first I apologize for my bad English, I'm from Germany....

A friend of mine told me to ask her for my dreams and Visions of this red haired man i see since i was 3 years old.
He identified him as Seth or as a double or a piece of his Soul, another friend was really shocked, he says Seth is something like the "devil", not very funny for me  :-\

so what do he want from me? He always said things like he is waiting for me to go together in the light, and he wants to protect me and lead, i always see him in white snow or when it snows, i always my life search for the zodiac sign libra in the stars but never know why i do this till tomorrow, i get in touch this man always with sand and the colour red and a skorpion... so my friend says all this reminds him really on Seth, but the red haired man says something like he is my dual soul or like a twin of my soul, an I'm for sure, I never be a goodness  ;D i remind Seth has no Sons, he was and is unfruitful right?

Can you tell me what you think about this? Im really glad about any Informations and tip, i dont know really what i have to think and do

Nice greetings

Helel :)

Online TahekerutAset

• Shemsu
Re: Seth?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:09:46 pm »
Set is a god of storms, weather and this includes snow.  Red is a sacred color for Set. 

Set is not infertile.  He is the father of Yinepu (Anubis) by Nephthys.  He is the father of Sobek by Neith. 

Set is a god of protection. 
TahekerutAset "Aset's Jewel"
Sat Aset
Meryt Nebet Het, Wepwawet, Sekhmet-Mut, Ra, Mut,  Bast-Mut, Shu, Tefnut

Offline Sedjfaiemitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 03:36:09 pm »
Em hotep nefer and welcome, Helel!:D

Set is definitely not "The Devil." We don't have a "Devil" in Egyptian polytheism, so you're totally safe as far as that's concerned. :)

Gods aren't "twin souls" with human beings, so I couldn't tell you what that's about or is meant to mean, if I correctly understand what you wrote. But, as for what Set, like any of His fellow Netjeru (Gods), wants: in my experience, all He wants is devotion to be given to Him, and to give to His devotees in return. No evil or nefarious strings attached. Though the Gods are sometimes depicted by way of terrifying and/or violent visual representations and textual metaphors, They are fundamentally, ultimately Good and Benevolent Beings possessing and giving the most pure kind of Love. The particular terror and violence which the Gods embody and do is in service of maintaining the Order of the Cosmos. The Gods are not cruel or unjust -- cruelty and injustice being human symptoms of human moral frailty alone.

As for His supposed "infertility," Set does indeed have historically-attested Divine offspring, as Tahekerut mentioned. Two noteworthy additions to those she already mentioned are Djehuty (Thoth), Whose titles of "Motherless / He Has No Mother" and "The Cutter" come from the episode of Djehuty's unconventional parentage (and/or the emergence of the Lunar Disc which Djehuty seizes for Himself from the forehead of Set. There are multiple versions of this particular theogony) by way of Set and Heru, between Whom Djehuty is the Mediator; and a Demon-God called Maga, primarily depicted as a crocodile or crocodile-headed man, Who is of a particularly ambiguous nature. Maga (prior to the Third Intermediate Period of Pharaonic History) harasses the deceased during their transfigurative journey through the Duat, yet He is also one of the protective Gods guarding the walls of birth chapels -- also known as a mammisi -- namely at Dendera and Edfu. Maga also became one of the tutelary deities of Hut-Hery-ib (Athribis) later in Egyptian history.

You will find that many Gods have what people consider "ambiguous" natures, dependent upon the particular contexts in which They appear and for what Divine purposes They are appearing. Set is perhaps the most famous for that kind of ambiguousness, but the emphasis upon Set's supposed "wicked" nature is largely the result of Modern Western selective interpretations, and these interpretations are frequently stripped of very necessary contextualizing sacred metaphors. This is not surprising, since many Western writers have treated Egyptian polytheistic religion, as an African and Ancient Near Eastern religion not particularly attached to the development of Western Latin Christianity, as an exotic and "primitive" novelty to be subordinated to Western Latin Christian interpretative schemata (see also "Orientalism").

I hope this helps!

Senebty,
Sedjfai
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:38:46 pm by Sedjfaiemitui »
"Endowed by Two Fathers"
𓁣 𓁠
Sat Set her Amun-Re-Banebdjedet
Meryt Herishef, Wesir-Narefy, Heru-Wer, her Yinepu

Online Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 03:53:29 pm »
As for Set's character, I would point to the art of the Ancient Egyptians.  There are many scenes in which Set (usually along with Heru-Wer, his brother) is blessing the pharaoh. They would not choose an evil deity for this task.

In the blessings, Set grants the pharaoh strength, while Heru-Wer increases the pharaoh's vision, so that he may be better equipped to rule.

Evidence:
Set and HeruWer blessing Rameses III:
http://www.joanlansberry.com/setfind/set-ram3.html

Seti I (MenMa'atRa), whose name means "Man of Set, Set's man" receiving this blessing:
http://www.joanlansberry.com/setfind/seti1.html

Set (with Amun Ra and to the right, HeruWer) blessing Thutmose III:

http://www.joanlansberry.com/setfind/karn-set.html

The view of Set as a troublesome deity came in the Greco-Roman times, but even then there were pockets of areas in which the people were devoted to Set, in the oases.

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Tatuayinepu

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 04:01:22 pm »
There is also at least one scene in which Set is teaching a pharaoh how to work with a bow and arrow.

@Neheh...is this a familiar picture to you? If so, do you have the one I might be thinking of?

Thank you,

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu. Please use my full name, not a nickname.

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu and Sed. Temple Board Member

Online Senuwierneheh

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 05:35:23 pm »
There is also at least one scene in which Set is teaching a pharaoh how to work with a bow and arrow.

@Neheh...is this a familiar picture to you? If so, do you have the one I might be thinking of?

Thank you,

Tatuayinepu

Yes, I have images of it:

http://www.joanlansberry.com/setfind/archery.html

Indeed, the pharaoh wouldn't trust an 'evil' god to teach him archery, as he could end up skewered!

Senebty,
Neheh...
Senuwierneheh (My Two, forever)
Sat Hethert-Sekhmet her Set, meryt Ptah-Sokar-Wesir, Djehuty, her Heru-Wer
Self-care Hethert, Set and Ptah Advocate
𓁥 𓁣 𓁰

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 09:37:40 am »
Hello Helel, welcome to the temple forums!

As others have responded, Set isn't evil (He is very caring about His humans, actually), and He does want a loving and supportive relationship with us, as do all the gods and goddesses that we interact with.

Also, don't apologize for your english! It's a hard language to learn :) Also, there are many of us who can't speak a second language at all, so you are ahead of me!

Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me
Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

Offline Khesretitui

• Shemsu
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 12:57:31 pm »
The others have mostly beat me to most of what I would have said, but Set is not, in my experience, a malevolent or evil force. He is, instead, a great protector. He can be very overwhelming, an he can be intense, but he is not harmful.

As for what Set might want from you, I don't think it's possible for me to say, but you might explore that by asking him. :)
Khesretitui
"My Fathers Dispel Evil"

Sat Set her Ra-Heruakhety
Meryt Heru-wer her Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 06:18:22 pm »
Also, Set is the one who stands in the prow of Ra's boat and fights off the force uncreation. He is a protective deity who is dedicated to fighting off evil and protecting creation from being destroyed, every day. Very much the opposite of evil. ;)

Here is an illustration of that: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Set_speared_Apep.jpg

Sorry I can't type a more thorough explanation right now, I'm very tired today.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
Kes, rhymes with yes. Class 57.

Offline Helel

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 08:36:22 am »
I'm really really glad for all this words :) Thank you all so much for your help :)
It's really good to hear all this!

Nice Greetings

Helel

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3423
  • stats Total Posts: 302216
  • stats Total Topics: 20862
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 123
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal