collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: how do we feel about the Greco-Kemetic syncs?  (Read 991 times)

Offline vagabondsun

• Remetj
how do we feel about the Greco-Kemetic syncs?
« on: October 28, 2021, 03:43:14 pm »
to make a long story short: i've been getting a frankly silly amount of pings regarding the manifestation of a certain presence in my lineup that can pretty much only possibly point to Bast-Artemis. and i feel... weird about this. having done a lot of reading, both general and on this forum and in the discord, i'm finding that there was historically very little Greco-Kemetic syncretization done in earnest (as opposed to being a political thing or simply an attempt to rationalize Kemeticism through the lens of the Greek beholder), or at least that's my understanding of things.

so i'm kind of just looking for any thoughts on the practicality of sincerely blending Hellenic and Kemetic conceptions of deity (bearing in mind that i know like, little to nothing about Hellenismos and its cosmology). are they funamentally incompatible? do the historically attested syncs actually make any sense? are there people doing it today who are making it work? (in ways that still appropriately honor the gods in question rather than in a weird neopagan monist way?)

i have many vague questions about this whole situation that i can't quite word so uh. feel free to throw any thoughts that this brings up for you whatsoever.
child of Sobek and Set
beloved of Ra, Hethert-Sekhmet, Bast and Heru-Wer

Offline Asetwedjbai

• Divined Remetj
Re: how do we feel about the Greco-Kemetic syncs?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 11:58:40 am »
Hello!

My thoughts about this have changed over the years. Initially I worshipped Isis and then came to the House and understood Isis and Aset to be two different deities. Isis is Aset syncrectized with almost every goddess, and for a long time I rejected Her, even though "my" Aset is much closer to Isis than she is Aset-Serqet. In the past I tried to keep gods in boxes: I go to X for Y; A for B, etc.

It doesn't work for me anymore. There are so few hard edges between Aset, Hethert, and Nut for me that a lot of the time they feel like one (very big) goddess. When I've asked Aset she just tells me "I am ALL" which is a little unhelpful!

I don't think it's wrong to develop a relationship with a god if the interest or devotion is sincere and the god approaches you. It may be harder to find people doing exactly the same thing as you, but if Bast and Bast-Artemis are pleased and the devotion gives you something I think it's worth it.

Would it matter if there aren't any attestations of worship of Bast-Artemis; would it change anything for you? Do you think it makes the relationship any less real? Do you want to work with Bast-Artemis, and if so is now the right time?

My advice would be to ask yourself, Bast, and Bast-Artemis what you want. Perhaps even your father Set; he's not known for shying away from the truth!
Aset turned me around
Daughter of Aset
Beloved of Hethert, Wesir, Yinepu, Nut & Nebthet

Offline Kallirrhoe

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 06:37:11 pm »
*waves* I've been a Hellenic polytheist for almost a decade and I can tell you this: there is no deep incompatibility between Hellenic and Kemetic theology. They're not identical, obviously, but it's not like attempting to mix Kemetic and Christian theology. And yes, there are people doing this today (that's how I started approaching Kemet, actually) but the ones I know of tend to be heavily Hellenic in outlook so I'm not sure if that would be helpful/what you'd like.

I don't think it's wrong to develop a relationship with a god if the interest or devotion is sincere and the god approaches you. It may be harder to find people doing exactly the same thing as you, but if Bast and Bast-Artemis are pleased and the devotion gives you something I think it's worth it.

Would it matter if there aren't any attestations of worship of Bast-Artemis; would it change anything for you? Do you think it makes the relationship any less real? Do you want to work with Bast-Artemis, and if so is now the right time?

I agree with Asetwedjbai here. In fact I'm going through a somewhat similar process in my Hellenic practice (with the difference that my experiences/gnosis are historically attested but extremely rare in modern Hellenic polytheism). It helps having historical "backup" but the most important thing, I believe, is trusting yourself and the Gods. Not trying to measure your experiences against anyone else's, you know? Not even the ancients'. Other people's experiences help us and guide us but in the end our experiences are unique.

You're welcome to send me a PM if you want to ask anything. I love talking about Hellenic polytheism and its surprising diversity haha

Edit: Took a quick look at Greek-Egyptian syncs out of curiosity... It actually is fairly accurate most of the time. There are also some surprises (Aset was also sync-ed with Athena!), mystifying choices (why is Nut sync-ed with Iris??) and a few "we just swapped names to fit our cosmogony even though it doesn't make sense" (like the famous Set = Typhon, but also Nut = Rhea and Geb = Kronos).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 06:57:26 pm by Kallirrhoe »

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:52 pm »
This is pure speculation, but perhaps Nut and Iris were syncretized because the arch of the rainbow is similar to the arch of Nut's body as the night sky.
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal