collapse collapse

* Donation Status

8%
Current donation status as of October 30, 2021 = $211.74 of $2,500 or 8%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Was pointed here  (Read 1224 times)

Was pointed here
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:27:53 pm »
Hi folks,

So my coming here is a weird story, I'll get right to it I guess(There's more background/orbiting info if you really care or want to ask for it.)

So, I'm a paid GM; someone who runs tabletop RPG's for people(effectively a streamer + author).
About 2-3 months ago I joined a discord group that was sharing rpg files. I joked that Thoth(I know, give me some time xD) Would make a great patron for the group, as it was about sharing knowledge and creating and exploring worlds and stories etc etc. So much so that whenever I sent someone something, and they thanked me. I'd answer with "Praise Thoth" instead of "You're Welcome". After a couple weeks of this, I started having slightly intrusive daydreams of exploring a beautiful and endless library and meeting with a librarian who only ever said "Would you like to come back again?" before I snapped back to reality.

Curious about this, I searched online and found my way to another forum similar in concept to this one. I was advised to try and reach out to Djehuty(it was at this point I was informed of his name proper). Which I did.

I didn't get much in terms of response. Using dice to try and get answers as my brain has a tendency to be too busy. Almost all the time I have a dozen thoughts racing around up there and it makes it difficult to go quiet. The dice seemed to imply he was listening, he was responding. So I tried talking to him more, fumbled through offerings and stuff, but nothing really seemed to grab me as "working", and eventually I went silent on the dice. Not that the dice went silent, I did. It's only been a couple months and I dropped the act of attempting to reach out like a fad.

But, I did write a short story at one point for him, and have tried to be quite consistent with an offering each morning of writing "Dua Djehuty" in a notebook for him. I've felt that maybe he is there, maybe, because some days when I just take a breather by the shrine after spilling the ink, I'll have really good and easy sessions at work.

Far more recently(i.e. it ended 2 days ago), the discord server I mentioned above, was taken down. In the attempt to rebuild, there was a lot of friction and emotional turmoil etc that led to half the staff leaving. I tried my best to keep everyone together, keep everything civil etc. It felt like weeks of it. I was frantic about how everyone who was waiting for the server would be reacting, was terrified of people leaving etc. but still I somehow was keeping a level head and was mediating as best I could. While it felt like weeks, it apparently was only like, 5 days. On the last night, I forced myself to go to sleep amid a panic attack.

The next day, when everyone assured me everything was okay and I should just relax; I had a sudden and almost violent inspiration to jump into minecraft and start building. I started building a big library, with the symbol of Seshat in the floor. While gathering resources in survival, a dull task, I found myself waiting for the cows to grow up so I could get more leather etc etc. In my bored, lazy state, I noticed the name of this forum sticking in my head. I don't know what brought it up. I also know it wasn't thrown into my brain wholesale, because while waiting for my application to be approved, I looked through the threads and found that this is where I got the idea to write "dua Djehuty" as an ink spilling ritual.

Guessing I was being pointed here, I signed up. So here I am. Figured I'd put it all there because 1) I needed to get it out, and 2) it seems relevant to my being here.

So um, Hi? Any advice?/ Any idea why I was pointed here in particular?

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
Re: Was pointed here
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 08:55:59 am »
Em hotep! (Welcome!) It's nice to meet you, though I'm sorry that you had to deal with so much stress and drama on the way here.

As to why you were pointed here, the people on this forum are a great resource of information. In addition reading the conversations posted here, feel free to ask all the questions you like! There's also the beginners course if you want to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy's practices specifically. (I wasn't sure from your post whether you'd applied to join the board or the course.)

I hope you're able to find some answers here, and that you enjoy your journey of discovery.

Senebty! (Be well!)

PS: It's funny that you mention being a paid GM. Just a week or so ago I got a real hankering to play D&D, which I haven't done in years, and I went online to see if I could find a group. I was totally surprised to find that paid GMs are a thing these days. O brave new world! :D
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 12:18:58 pm »
Hello, nice to meet you!
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast her Set

Offline Tatuayinepu

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 09:22:35 pm »
Pleased to meet you! Welcome!
Tatuayinepu. Please use my full name, not a nickname.

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, Heru wer, and Wesir

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu, Sed, Wepwawet. Temple Board Member, Forum Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 04:36:49 am »
Thanks, nice to meet you all too!
and yea I'll definitely read around more.

Course?

Offline Rev. Shefyt

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 08:48:02 am »
Yes, we offer a free course to anyone who's interested in learning more about how we worship. The course runs for several months; we're just in the middle of one now, so the next one will probably start in late December. If you're interested, you can apply here: https://www.kemet.org/join. Note that although the application speaks about conversion, there's no obligation to join the House of Netjer at any point; the course is purely informational.
Rev. Shefyt | daughter of Bast, beloved of Nut, Amun-Ra, and Wenut
Beginners Class Instructor | Heri-sesheta Bast | Divinations
Blog: Gold of the Valley, Lapis of the River

Offline Temimensenu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 12:00:24 pm »
Em hotep and welcome!
Temi
Son of Bast, Sobek, and Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) || Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Amun, and Yinepu-Wepwawet
Fedw Diviner for Bast and Sobek
Beginners Class Liaison

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 05:27:36 am »
Yes, we offer a free course to anyone who's interested in learning more about how we worship. The course runs for several months; we're just in the middle of one now, so the next one will probably start in late December. If you're interested, you can apply here: https://www.kemet.org/join. Note that although the application speaks about conversion, there's no obligation to join the House of Netjer at any point; the course is purely informational.

Thanks!
I'm always down to learn about opinions, beliefs and all that sort of stuff so I'll definitely check it out.
Being free doesn't hurt either.
Guess I got 4 days to really consider it though :P

Thank you all for the kind welcome, I look forward to learning!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:33:51 am by Atlas-1 »

Offline Setjezusenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:34:46 am »
Em hotep! It's nice to meet you!
Child of Hethert-Sekhmet and Set, beloved of Heru-wer and Yinepu-Wepwawet

Offline liamh

• Remetj
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 05:44:17 am »
Em hotep and welcome!
Graduate of Class 59

Offline Zuzana 25

• Remetj
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 03:53:51 pm »
Em hotep welcome ;)
graduate of class 59

Offline Takhetsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 04:51:09 am »
Em hotep and welcome! May you find what you seek here.
Daughter of Set and Seshat-Nit-Nebthet
Beloved of Anuket, Heru-Wer, and Yinepu-Wepwawet.

~Graduate of Zep Tepi Class 57~

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 05:06:15 pm »
Just wanted to note that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of having to give my partner's information or my real address(especially since I'm likely to be moving in a month or two) for the 'course'

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 08:29:19 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Just wanted to note that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of having to give my partner's information or my real address(especially since I'm likely to be moving in a month or two) for the 'course'

If it helps, that info is never shared with anyone beyond the application process... but I can understand feeling that way, and if you'd rather not complete the form, you are welcome to just read the forums and talk to people here. I find it easier to learn from a guided course than from just poking around myself, but all the same info is available on the forums, and we're happy to answer questions any time. :)

I do have a different perspective; the fact that they ask for address (for purpose of doing a background check) actually made me *more* comfortable with joining, because doing background checks means that this will be a safe place.

Also keep in mind that while the forums help us connect with people all over the world, this is a real-world religion, which means people will meet up in person for events and festivals, and if I'm gonna meet people I've only met on the internet, that feeling of safety really makes a difference there too.

As far your partner, I don't think you have to give out their info at all. I just said I'm married and my partner is okay with me doing this. I don't recall needing to share anything more than that, not even name.

The reason the form asks about family is just because we don't want young people to get in trouble with their parents, or to drive a wedge between partners by keeping secrets and doing something that they may object to. If your partner is fine with you exploring, that's really all anyone needs to know. Additional details are not required.

edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:32:12 pm by Kes »
Kes, rhymes with yes. Class 57.

Offline Kes

• Remetj
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 08:47:20 pm »
Aaaand, if you're undecided right now, it's totally fine to let this one go and decide later. The class will run again. I think we have 3 per year? So you can take your time to think it over and decide if you want to do it or not.

I took several years between "I'm interested" and actually taking the class. ;D
Kes, rhymes with yes. Class 57.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3496
  • stats Total Posts: 304032
  • stats Total Topics: 21100
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 124
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal