collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Parental Consent Question  (Read 317 times)

Parental Consent Question
« on: December 24, 2021, 10:54:35 am »
So i’m 20 but at the moment still financially dependent. I can’t really tell my family about my path because they wouldn’t accept it. They aren’t very accepting people so in general just not a fun time. Does that mean I can’t join the beginner course?

Offline Biwimuti

• Shemsu
Re: Parental Consent Question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 01:48:06 pm »
The requirement for consent from family is mainly about keeping things peaceful for your household and, most importantly, safe for you personally. If taking the beginner's course, and later practicing Kemetic Orthodoxy if that's the path you choose, put you in any sort of danger? Physically, mentally, or emotionally? Would your financial stability and/or health be at risk if your family was aware of your religious beliefs and practices? If so, would you be able or even willing to keep those things completely secret for your own safety?

I'm in a very similar situation as you, as a disabled adult who is dependent on family members myself, and I need to stress how important these questions are to ask yourself. What parts of your religious path are you comfortable sharing? Is your internet activity private? Are there ways for you to practice Kemetic Orthodoxy without risking your well-being (including prayers, making offerings, performing Senut if you can, etc)?

In the end, your decision is your own. As an adult, you have the right to make your own religious choices and decide who you are or who you want to be and you have the right to practice your religion safely. If you think that taking the beginner's course, and possibly pursuing Kemetic Orthodoxy further later, is worth whatever risks there may be in your own personal situation, then go for it. If you think that it could put you in danger, I would recommend waiting until you're in a safer and more stable position in your life if that's at all an option.
Biwi
“My two mothers set a good example (for me).”

Child of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet-Aset.
Beloved of Khonsu, Set, and Wepwawet-Yinepu.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304388
  • stats Total Topics: 21164
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal