Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Your Shemsu Name and You  (Read 72530 times)

Offline Sema'a

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
Your Shemsu Name and You
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:04:31 am »
This is sort of inspired by the "You and the Names in Your Life" thread in the Netjer section of the boards. It's a survey for folks with, without, or not planning on receiving Shemsu names.

For the already named: Part A.

1.) What is your Shemsu name and meaning?
2.) What is your RPD lineup?
3.) How long have you been named, and how long did you wait before being named?
4.) Are there any interesting puns in your name that you have heard of? Please share them if you're willing to.
5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it? If so, were you close?
6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they mean?

For those not yet named or not planning to be named: Part B
1.) Have you had your RPD done? Who was in your lineup?
2.) Do you use a Kemetic name right now? What is it and what does it mean?
3.) Do you plan on being named at any time? If not, and if you are comfortable sharing - why not?
4.) If you plan on being named, are you trying to guess what your name might be like? Care to share the guesses?

I'm going to answer these after my naming in just under two weeks.
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline Tuwer

• Divined Remetj
Re: Your Shemsu Name and You
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:52:05 am »
Hotep!

Very cool idea!  :)

4.) Are there any interesting puns in your name that you have heard of? Please share them if you're willing to.
5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it? If so, were you close?
6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they mean?

1. Tuwerherbastmut - "Show Respect to Bast-Mut."
2. Daughter of Bast-Mut, Beloved of Amun-Ra
3. I was named February 25th, 2004, so I guess that means I've had my name for a little over 3 years.  I got named a week after I had my RPD (I knew I was going to have my RPD and Naming very close to each other and soon after I graduated from my Beginner's Class).
4. One pun, that I can remember (though, I remember hearing another... just not what it was): "To be great to Bast-Mut."
(In addition to the "To be great to Bast-Mut", Wer(et) is also used to mean to be "great", in a prince(ss) fashion... since I'm a Shemsu-Ankh, it makes sense in a way.)
5. No and no.  I hadn't a clue what it could've been, and I wouldn't have been close if I had tried.  ;)
6. Nope.  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:16:22 pm by Tuwer »
Senebty,
~ Tuwer
~ Daughter of Bast-Mut and (Hekatawy-Alexandros)| (AUS), Beloved of Amun-Ra & Khonsu

Offline Padjaiemweru

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:07:57 am »
Oh, why the heck not...

1. - Padjaiemweru - The Great Ones Provide [for] Me
2. - I am a child of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer, and I am a beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set.
3. - I was named approx two and a half years ago.  I was a remetj for about 8 months, and I lurked around the house for a year and a half before that.
4. - The most obvious one is that funny little "[for]" in my name.  Thus some times I am provided for, sometimes I am provided to others.
5. - nope!
6. - nope again!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Padjaiemweru »
Padjaiemweru
The Great Ones provide (for) me

Son of Bast-Mut and Heru-wer
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Seshat-Nit-Nebthet, and Set

(Avatar based on work by Jennie Breedon)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:46 am »

Sobekemiti -- Sobek is my Daddy. Aww. XD

Sat Sobek, meryt Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty her Wepwawet.

I was named *thinks* *checks calendar* July 27th. So, I've been named (has it really been that long ago?) eight-nine months or so.

I had to wait 7-8 weeks, I think, but that was because Hemet (AUS) had to recover from Her surgery.

I can't remember how long ago I became remetj, but it was early last year that I decided I wanted to become Shemsu. That also required waiting once I'd sent my answers and payment, so I was divined on June 6th, a good couple of months later. I think the Gods were determined to make me patiently wait for mine, because I was divined and named much later than the others who were in my beginner's class with me. I was determined to wait anyway, to finish the class, and be remetj for a year maybe and decide later if I wanted to be shemsu.

I haven't heard of any, but then I haven't really started looking into it yet.

The only thing I thought of was 'strong' being in there somewhere, since that was an apt descriptor of my RPD. But alas, there was no 'strong' name. I got adorable!Daddy, and an adorable name to match.

I used a few. Actually, I used several. But the ones that meant the most to me were/are IbDjehuty and SatSobek.

IbDjehuty I was given in a dream and means Djehuty's heart. It probably means the most to me second only to my Shemsu name.

SatSobek was the only 'sat' name I ever felt was right, which, considering who turned out to be Daddy isn't much of a surprise. Until I'd had my RPS, it had never quite twigged why I could never call myself SatDjehuty, or SatAset, Aset and Djehuty being the two Names apart from Sobek I'd had any real relationship with, and why MerytAset and MerytDjehuty made sense.

I didn't realise how accurate SatSobek, MerytDjehuty and MerytAset were until after my RPD.
Sobekemiti ('Sobek is my Daddy')
Solitary Polytheist, Scribe, Hem-Netjer Sobek, and Druid

Dreamwidth Journal|Per Sebek

Offline Meruti

• Remetj
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:24 pm »
Merutihethert - "Hethert's Well-Beloved"

Sat Hethert-Sekhmet, Meryt Aset-Serqet and Mut

I got named on November 29th 2006, so...about four months? I got named about a month after my RPD.

There are a few, but most of them are pretty non-sensical. My favorite is the one that means "riverbank". There's also one to do with bulls that won't be discussed here. -winks at Dani M.-

I wanted to figure it out, but I never even got close.

I been Kemetic for a long time, and I used to use all manner of embarrassingly bad "Kemetic" names. I won't divulge them. They were too awful. :sick:
For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 12:42:33 pm »
May as well. :)

Kheretsenu - "subject to Two"

Daughter of Wepwawet and Bast-Mut, beloved of Djehuty

I think it's been a year and three or four months? It was two weeks exactly between my divination and naming.

Ma'en said that "khered," meaning "child," would have been pronounced the same as "kheret." Also, something about the necropolis (kheret-netjer). I've been assured that those are different glyphs, but I actually kind of like it (I'm morbid, what can I say?)

Well, the day of my naming I bet my friend that it would have something to do with "loyalty." And I suppose it does, "loyal subject" and all that.

I had a blog (very briefly) with the moniker "Neferdeshret," which is, of course, grammatically incorrect. Which is probably why I didn't bother trying to come up with any more of them on my own. :)
Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu her Bast-Mut, meryt Djehuty.

Kheret - 'Subject to Two'

Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera.

Offline Temwa

• Shemsu
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:55:01 pm »
Quote from: Seshetmaat

1.) Temwaenbast, meaning "never far from Bast" :)
2.) Say Bast, meryt Heru-wer, Heru-sa-Aset and Seshat-Nit-Nebthet
3.) I've been named since July 27 2005, and I waited a mere 10 days to receive my name.
4.) According to Hemet my name can also mean "no other one than Bast" or "One is not Bast" or "Bast is uniquely complete"
5.) Nope, I didn't.
6.) Nope.
Senebty,
Temwaenbast

Daughter of the Invisable Paw, beloved of the Falcon of Speckled Plumage, the Loving Son, and the Lady of Years
Sat Bast, meryt Heru-wer, Heru-sa-Aset & Seshat-Nit-Nebthet

"In a world where you can be anything - be yourself."

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 01:08:24 pm »

1.  My name is Qaitsenu.  It means "The Two are exhalted" or "Exhalted by Two" or "The Two are Held Up" or "Held up by the Two".  

2. Sat Djehuty her Bast, meryt Hethert-Sekhmet her Heru-wer her Ra-Heruakhety (and possibly one other but that has yet to be determined).

3.  I was named in April of 2004.  I believe I had to wait 3ish weeks.

4.  Yes.  The "Kai" (as in Kai-Imakhu) and the "Qai" from my name are a pun.

5.  I thought one Parent might come through stronger in my name... but it seems that both share me equally...  I belong to both 100%.

6.  Nup.  Before I was named I was Alune.
Senebty,

Qaitsenu

I will be remembered by those whose lives I've most affected, and least realized it.

W'abet Djehuty her Bast | Herisesheta Bast
Sau Apprentice | Fedw Diviner | The Original Kitbis

http://deskofthescribe.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:09:39 pm »
1.) Wosretbast, meaning "Bast's Strong One" or "Bast is the Strong One"
2.) Daughter of Bast, beloved of Wesir and Hethert
3.) I was named on November 14th, 2001, just over three and a half months after my RPD.
4.) When people call me Wos, they're calling me POWER! ;)
5.) I thought it would have something to do with trusting my Parent (I remember saying this at Retreat '01 a day or two before my RPD).
6.) No, I didn't (and still don't) know enough of the language to attempt it. ;)

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 01:28:38 pm »
Part B
1.) Have you had your RPD done? Who was in your lineup?
    Sat Yinepu/Wepwawet, Meryt Sekhmet-Mut

2.) Do you use a Kemetic name right now? What is it and what does it mean?  
    Wouldn't attempt it.

3.) Do you plan on being named at any time? If not, and if you are comfortable sharing - why not?
    I can't wait!!! I'm a little dumb-struck still from RPD, but I'm quite anxious.

4.) If you plan on being named, are you trying to guess what your name might be like? Care to share the guesses?
    I have the feeling it will have something to do with either guarding something, or balance/ma'at. Maybe guarding the balance!?

I'll redo this after my Naming!!
Thank you Dani for starting this, great idea!

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 02:26:52 pm »
1) Aqheretbastmut "Face to face with Bast-Mut"
2) Sat Bast-Mut, Meryt Set her Djehuty (and maybe one more)
3) RPD April 22nd, 2006.  Named April 26, 2006.  So just under a year.
4) Not to my knowledge
5) No.
6) No.

Senebty
Aqheret  
Aqheretbastmut
"Entering in face to face with Bast-Mut"
Sat Bast-Mut, Meryt Set her Djehuty her Sekhmet-Hethert her Ra

"The weak must have nothing to run from and the strong must always have something to strive for"
St Benedict of Nursia

Offline Shemembast

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »
Shemembast, "Bast's Warmth."

daughter of Bast, beloved of Djehuty and Hethert-Sekhmet.

I had my divination on Oct. 18, 2001, and was named on Oct. 23, 2001.

"Shemem" is associated with a lot of things involving heat, including fever and the month of Shomu. Ma'en said if we disregard the fact that "shemem" is one word and just take the sound of the syllables, "shem em Bast" would mean "to go as Bast." (For Halloween, maybe? ;) ) I expect it would be written totally differently. ("Shemem," incidentally, is written phonetically: a lake for "sh" and two "m" owls. I hope one day to be able to fit a location called "Lake Two Owls" into one of my stories.)

I don't remember for sure. I don't think I did. I was still busy being surprised by the Cat. (I wasn't expecting Her.) Hmm, come to think of it, "Surprised by Bast" would have been an apt name ... If I ever head toward Imakhudom, I'll have to keep that in mind. ;)

Not ... around here, no. There was a time I was planning on becoming a worshipper of Hecate, and I was going to give myself a new name to go along with this practice, and for some strange reason the name I chose to approach this Greek goddess under was a Kemetic one. You know what they say about a little learning being a dangerous thing ...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Shemembast »
"This is Shemem, everyone. She is My Warmth."
sat Bast; meryt Djehuty her Hethert-Sekhmet

Like the sun, You are always there, even when I cannot see You.

LJ

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:16:19 pm »
Duwayitheru, meaning Heru's dawn, or morning.

I'm a daughter of Heru-sa-Aset, and beloved of Shu, Ra, and Nut.

I was named at the end of April of last year, so almost a year now. I waited a few months before my RPD, just because I was moving across country and wanted to settle in before taking on something like that. I was named very shortly after my RPD.

Not that I know of.

Nope, didn't have any guesses. It's very fitting for me though since the dawn and morning have always been very significant to me..

Yes, for a few years it was Meketheru. I believe it means something like protected by Heru.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:36:46 pm »
Part A.

TAKHAUSEKHMET, (tah-KHAH-oo-sekh-MET), meaning "The appearance of Sekhmet, in glory."

Sat Sekhmet-Mut, meryt Bast her Aset

I was named July 26th, 2006... 5 days after my divination.

I haven't heard of any puns. I just know that it has the connotation of "shining in glory" and was a word used for when a Name came out of a temple to see the people.

I didn't really try to guess.

Yes, I still use it...
<---- points over to my screen name, Nefertsatsekhmet.
I started out using Nefersatsekhmet before I realized it need the feminine "t" ending on nefer. It means "beautiful daughter of Sekhmet" and it is the only Kemetic name I ever used before recieving my shemsu name. I just knew. (I decided on the "nefer" part as an affirmation, because I don't always feel beautiful.)
Takhausekhmet, [size:8pt]'The Appearance of Sekhmet, in Glory.'[/size]
sat [color:maroon]Sekhmet-Mut[/color], meryt [color:green]Bast[/color] her [color:navy]Aset[/color]

Dua Netjer! "Our diversity is Our beauty; Our unity is Our strength." Nekhtet!

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:49:55 pm »
[color:#993399]Ooh, more fun stuff!  [/color]

For the already named: Part A.

[color:#993399]Senushemi - "It is Two Who walk with me"  [/color]

[color:#993399]Sat Bast her Djehuty, meryt Sekhmet-Hethert  [/color]

[color:#993399]I had my RPD on 11/22/05, and was named about a week later, at the very next naming ceremony. So I've been named for... 15 1/2 months now. :)  [/color]

[color:#993399]Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really researched it yet either. [/color]

[color:#993399]No, I had no idea what it would be, although I had hoped it would have either Mom or Dad in it somewhere... and actually, I got both of Them in there.  :D [/color]

[color:#993399]No, I was coming from an eclectic/Celtic Wicca spiritual path at the time; I was using Cerridwen as my screen nick.  :) [/color]
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3007
  • stats Total Posts: 288174
  • stats Total Topics: 19541
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217