collapse collapse

* Donation Status

74%
Current donation status as of December 21, 2021 = $1,851.48 of $2,500 or 74%
Donate!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Your Shemsu Name and You  (Read 83608 times)

Re: Your Shemsu Name and You
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:18 pm »
1.) What is your Shemsu name and meaning?
Tiwwepwawet ("Yes, Wepwawet")

2.) What is your RPD lineup?

sa Wepwawet, mery Mut

3.) How long have you been named, and how long did you wait before being named?

I got named last night, which was conveniently one day after my RPD.

4.) Are there any interesting puns in your name that you have heard of? Please share them if you're willing to.

All the different meanings of yes...
  • You got Wepwawet in your lineup? Yes!
  • Responding to a call: Yes, Wepwawet?
  • Saying "yes" to Him
  • The fist-pumping victory shout: YES! Wepwawet! (close to my reaction to the rpd)
  • A 70s prog-rock band?
  • Certainly no end of "who's on first" type antics...

5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it? If so, were you close?

I couldn't imagine what would come up, though I was hoping I'd get something "F'in metal", like with swords or fire or something. Now that I have the one I have, though, it's perfect.

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they mean?

I always hate thinking up usernames, so I just went with Richard on here, and for other places I either use names of toys or random phrases that pop in my head and are awkward to explain to people when I come to my senses...
Tiwwepwawet ("Yes, Wepwawet")
sa Wepwawet-Yinepu mery Mut

Offline Satra

• Shemsu
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:52 pm »
I love my Shemsu name!!!

Satra - Ra's wisdom

Sat Ra meryt Nut her Bast

I was named yesterday, and had my RPD the day before that.  :)

4.) Are there any interesting puns in your name that you have heard of?
My name can also mean daughter of Ra.

5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it?
I had no idea what my name would be.

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name?
Nope.

Offline Payibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »
Payibast - "My Bast" or "(This) Bast is mine"

Sat Bast, Meryt Sekhmet-Hethert, Wepwawet-Yinepu her Nut

It's been less than 24 hours since I've been named and I waited 2 days.

4.) Are there any interesting puns in your name that you have heard of? Please share them if you're willing to.
None that I know of.

5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it? If so, were you close?
I didn't try but since I'm single parented I thought/hoped Mom's name would be in there.

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they mean?
No
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:17:33 pm by Payibast »
Sat Bast
Meryt Sekhmet, Wepwawet, Nut her Serqet

Offline Enbibibast

• Shemsu
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 06:19:26 pm »
Enbibibast - (Bast is hot) or (Bast is aflame)
Sat Bast, Meryt Wepwawet-Yinepu, Djehuty, and Sekhmet-Hethert
4 days now, and I was divined 4 days before that.
None yet, but I'll try to figure them out at some point. I googled just the enbibi part and kept pulling up pages written in Spanish, maybe? I'm not sure.
I had no idea, but I did want it to be somewhat "rawr woman warrior" sounding. It didn't end up that way but I'm still really happy with the name.
I used the name Sabry. It's not Kemetic, as far as I know, but it sounded blade-like and I fell in love with the name the first time I saw it written on a piece of paper.
Enbibibast | Bibi
Daughter of Bast
Beloved of | Wepwawet-Yinepu | Djehuty | Sekhmet-Hethert | Heru-wer |
Tumblr

Offline Udenetyinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2008, 10:20:23 pm »
UdenetYinepu - She who offers (good smells) to Yinepu

sat Yinepu-Wepwawet, meryt Wesir

Jeez... I can't even remember now... since 2003 I think? I'll have to check...
I know I waited a long while after the beginners class to send in my RPD form, and then after that it took me a while to get named... Hemet tacked it on to the end of another Dua because I'd been waiting so long.. like a couple months.

Well it can also be "She who offer Yinepu" or "Yinepu's offering", so we each loan the other out when needed I guess. And then of course there's the question of just what kinds of scents are pleasing to Yinepu ;)

Nope. I looked at the names of my other jql siblings and hoped I'd get something as cool, but I didn't make any guesses.
For a long while I didn't really like how my name felt... it seemed awkward, just like Wesir being in my RPD felt awkward, but I've come to love both over time :)

No, I didn't.
Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet and the Nisut (AUS), beloved of Wesir

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:02 am »
Hotep! I'm reviving this thread since I've now got an update to my original response. ;) And all you other newly divined/Named folks: you know you want to! ;)

Quote from: Sobeqsenu
For the already named: Part A.

1) and 2) See my signature. :)

3) I've been named for just over 15 hours now. :grin: I had my RPD on 23 December 2006, and I was named on 23 July 2007, so I waited 1 year 7 months to the day.

4) I don't know any puns on my name, and I'm having trouble finding it in the online dictionaries anyway, but I'm more than happy with just the intended meaning since it's very fitting for me.

5) I tried to resist the urge to speculate, but I failed. :p I was hoping for a name that was either close to my existing name (Shuri), or that meant something about bringing me home, or that had a flashy meaning with lots of flashy nuances. In the end, however, I got a name that told me exactly what I needed to hear, and that was in line with what I've been hearing from my Parents ever since they started nudging me to become a Shemsu.

6) Nope. I know well the potential pitfalls in playing around with languages I don't understand. ;)

I was reading through my previous reply to this survey and couldn't help but laugh at this bit:

Quote from: Demra
I'm not ruling out becoming a Shemsu one day - after all, it took me 2 years to get from the beginner's course to the RPD - but I think that would require my Parents and Beloveds giving me a strong and unmistakable push towards Shemsuhood.

I guess you could say I asked for it. ;) Yinepu's not a Name traditionally associated with the Divine Clue-By-Four, but he really knows how to drop bricks on your head when he wants to. ;)

Offline Awetitu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:47 pm »
1.) What is your Shemsu name and meaning? Awetitu - Two fathers, one blade

2.) What is your RPD lineup? Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer Sa Sekhmet-Hethert.

3.) How long have you been named, and how long did you wait before being named? I have been named since 08/06/2008 at Wep Ronpet and waited 11 days from my RPD.

Heh...brace yourselves for it...it's a LONG one...lol:

Awet can mean:
a sceptre (the one which the pharao carries together with the flail)
small cattle
'awayt' is a female robber

'itu' means 'fathers'

Thus we have the more obvious meanings:
"sceptre of the fathers"
"cattle of the fathers" (which is interesting because the word awet is used in the famous metaphor that describes humans as the 'cattle of the gods')
"robber of the fathers"

'awayi' means 'to plunder, to rob' or, written with slightly different glyphs: 'to harvest, to reap'
'awat' is the infinitive form of 'to reap' (with the other meaning the infinitive is 'awayi', for some reason), and might also be interpreted as a participle or even a passive voice of both verbs. So we can translate:
"the reaping of the fathers"
"the (female) reaper of the fathers"
"the fathers are robbed“ or „... are harvested"
Those puns make much more sense when I tell you that 'it' means 'barley', don't they?  
(although 'it' does not usually have a plural form, like the English word grain)
Also, 'awayt' is a word for something fermented, thus: "fermented barley" - sounds like beer to me!
('awa' means 'to rot, to ferment')

Now, if we write 'Awet' with the other 'a' sound (the vulture-glyph instead of the arm-glyph) we get a whole different context of meanings and possibilities:

'awi' as a verb either means 'to be wide, to be long' or 'to stretch, to reach, to hand over'
thus we can translate 'awet' as:
width, wideness, length (of space as well as of time), reach;
as a participle: '(female) one who reaches, one who is stretched/wide'

Awet can also mean 'offering', a kind of altar, or 'long knives'

all of these can be linke to 'itu' in a genitive construction 'the awet of the fathers';
A noun clause only makes sense in the case of "the fathers are long knives", in all other cases 'awet' is singular, while the fathers are plural.

Btw: the 'awet-ib', literally 'the wideness of the heart', is the most common word for 'joy, happiness'

Okay, now lets be creative, and take 'awet' apart:
Aw-it-itu: "The arms/ the length/ the condition/ the action/ the documents of the father of fathers"
("father of fathers, mother of mothers" is a title of Nit. I guess that 'father of fathers' is also a fitting title for any of the male gods of creation, like Tem, Re, Amun, Ptah etc)
And of course, a'a is the most common word for 'big, great', thus:
a'a-it-itu: "great is the father of fathers"
or: awai-it-itu: "the father of fathers plunders/reaps"

and another one:
'tit' can mean:
- the tit amulet ('Isis-knot', 'blood of Isis')
- a (mathematical) fraction
- a pestle
'titu' would be the plural of any of these. Now we can translate
'awi-tit.u': "the titu are wide/long"
or "the two arms of the titu"
(ah, well, those translations are grammatically possible, but they don't make much sense to me. What are "the arms of the fractions", anyway?)

5.) Did you try to figure out what your name would be before you got it? If so, were you close? Nope...lol...I preferred the mystery/ :D

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they mean? Nope. Didn't even re-name myself for the Wiccan part of my life.  Naming myself was not something I was big on, but having the Names name me is much better. ;)
Awetitu - aka Awi
Sa Sobek her Set, mery Heru-wer her Sekhmet-Hethert

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:23 pm »
I wanna play, too:

1.) Hethertiret, "Hethert's duty" or "Hethert's purpose"

2.) My mother is Hethert-Sekhmet, and my beloveds are Djehuty, Bast, and Amun.

3.) I've been named for about a day now, and I waited almost two weeks to be named.

4.) I'm still trying to figure that one out.

5.) Not really, but I figured my name would have Het-Hert in it.

6.) Nope, just the Japanese name you see here (it does mean "sincerity" though).  The only thing it has connection to is my love of Sailor Moon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:35:48 pm by Makoto »
Hethertiret "Het-hert's duty / Het-hert's purpose"
Daughter of Hethert-Sekhmet, beloved of Djehuty, Bast, and Amun

This may look like a forum, but for many this is a temple.

Offline Kefetmisenu

• Divined Remetj
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2008, 04:02:35 pm »
My Shemsu name is Kefetmisenu, and it means "Trustworthy like Two".

Daughter of Hethert and Heru-wer, Beloved of Aset-Serqet, Set, Heru-sa-Aset, and Ptah (as Ptah-Sokar-Wesir)

I was divined June 6 of this year. I waited about 3 months after becoming a remetj. I was named about a month later.

..I think Nai said one pun in my name was "kft" can also mean to gash....

I thought it would have something to do with my art. Instead it has to do with my overly maternal side...

*blush* Well, I did use Meresankh for a while. It means (according to the source) "She who loves life".
Kefetmisenu
Sat Heru-wer her Hethert-Sekhmet
Gothic horror writer and artist. Icon is my own artwork

Offline Hethertgerut

• Shemsu
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2008, 07:16:39 pm »
Hethertgerut "The silent Hethert"

My mom's Hethert-Sekhmet, my beloveds are Nut, Wesir and Nefertem.

I've been named for one whole day, and I waited two months.

There are no puns that I have come across yet, although the name does remind me of stealth commandos and ninjas, which is interesting because I totally love that type of stuff.

I didn't try; I had not idea...

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name? If so, what were they and what did they
I used none.  I wasn't that creative.
[color:purple]Hethertgerut[/color] [color:purple]"The silent Hethert"[/color]
[color:blue]Sat Hethert-Sekhmet
Meryt Nut her Wesir her Nefertem[/color]

Facebook[/url

Offline Djeriwepwawet

• Shemsu
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 10:36:09 pm »
Yay, I can finally respond to this! >D

Djeriwepwawet, "Wepwawet is strong" or "May Wepwawet be strong", nickname "Djeri", meaning "strength" (in the force-of-a-blow sort of strength).

sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Bast-Mut

I've been named for... three hours! And I waited a year and a half before being Named.

Hemet said my name's actually rather straightforward; any puns are fairly distant ones. Nai looked some up for me, though; djeri can also mean "enclosing wall", "strong (of staff)", and "strongly"--more allusions to the force-type-of-strength in those last two, I guess.

Not really. I've been using a name that means "to burn brightly" and was thinking my name might have something to do with that, since it's been such a goal for me and a theme in my life for many years now. Then again, strength in the context of force/power--the measure of the force of a blow would be its energy, wouldn't it? as in basic physics?--would fit with the idea of burning bright, of living with passion.

Makhsihed--to burn brightly. (I probably butchered the translation from English to Egyptian, but that's the meaning I was going for, anyway.) I don't know that I'll stop using it, honestly; it's my LJ username and I think I want to keep it that way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:37:20 pm by Meirya »
Djeriwepwawet, "Wepwawet is Strong"
sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Bast-Mut
formerly Meirya (Dani)

LiveJournal * Dreamwidth * Dreams of Horn

Offline Satsenu

• Shemsu
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:01 pm »
[color:#FF6600]Forgive me for digging up an old thread, but I thought it'd be fun to see more responses! I love all of our names and how they really become a huge part of who we are. ^_^[/color]

Satsenu --> "Daughter of Two"

I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

I've been named for 3 months minus 10 days. I can't recall how long I waited to be named, but I believe it was 2 or 3 weeks.

Nope, my name, I was told, is fairly straight forward. I'm finding that despite it being very simple, it has many meanings.

I had an experience that led me to believe my name would translate to "Wepwawet Stands Behind Me". I hadn't been close at all to Him during that time... much the opposite actually. I had only begun to roughly learn about Him. I guess in a way it is rather close to "Daughter of Two" because I feel as though my Dad always has my back. ^_^

Nope, not at all.
Satsenu, Daughter of Two
I am the daughter of Wepwawet(-Yinepu) and Bast, beloved of Wesir-Sokar and Amun-Ra.

Offline Iwaat

• Shemsu
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
Iwa'at Bast-Mut ----> Bast-Muts Heritage

Daughter of Bast-Mut
Beloved of Nebthet-Nit-Seshat and Hethert-Sekhmet.

5 months i was named the same day i was divined.

not that i know of O.o

before i found KO i wanted a more Egyptian name.i stumbled upon one that meant 'Kitten' i often referred to myself as Bast's kitten xD i know corny. but i find it funny that my name ended up meaning  Bast-Muts Heritage

actually one was Sanura which according to an online source for names. meant Kitten.
~Iwa'at Bast-Mut~
Bast-Mut's Heritage
Sat Bast-mut
Meryt Nebthet-Nit-Seshat her Hethert-Sekhmet
*Sau apprentice*

Offline Sekhmetnenek

• Shemsu
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2010, 12:05:10 am »
Sekhmetnenek: Sekhmet belongs to me O_O

Sa Sekhmet-Hethert
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

Less than 2 months. I waited a week.

I don't know any...but I am trying lol

I didn't try, because I figured I would fail epicly lol

6.) Did you use any Kemetic names before you got your Shemsu name?

Nopers, I was going by a Norse name before this, and a Latin name before that.
Sekhmetnenek|Sekhmet Belongs to Me|
Sa Sekhmet-Hethert,
Mery Nebthet-Nit-Seshat

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 01:37:55 am »
Wow... this is a different survey than the one I already did...

Setkheni-itw, or "My Two Fathers Dazzle."

Sa Set and Wepwawet, Mery Sekhmet, Heru-wer, and Aset.

I waited... gosh.  I forgot.  I think I got through the beginner class in maybe 2004 or 2005, so around five or six years I waited to be divined and named.  I was named this year.  I forgot the date.  I was divined on Earth Day.  So whenever that was.

There's a pun meaning "Set friend" and another rendering Set in Akkadian.

Not entirely.  I did use Kemetic names before, and they all started with S and had some similar sounds, but not similar enough to not be coincidences.

I went by Smekhkaset and Shesepibset.  My login on these forums is still Shesepibset.
Son of Set and Wepwawet-Yinepu.
Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru-Wer, and Aset-Serqet.

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3506
  • stats Total Posts: 304407
  • stats Total Topics: 21165
  • stats Total Categories: 9
  • stats Total Boards: 126
  • stats Most Online: 955
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal