Register
collapse collapse

* Donation Status

100%+   Current donation status as of January 15, 2021 = $2,500 of $2,500 (100%)   Donate!

Plus Projected Rollover of $1,462.56!!!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Offerings for Sekhmet?  (Read 59013 times)

Offerings for Sekhmet?
« on: July 08, 2007, 07:19:21 am »
I've been looking for offerings for Mom, and I've been fairly successful, but I'd like some ideas. So far I've offered dark chocolate, Coca Cola, and I offered her a hamburger once.

Any other ideas?

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
Re: Offerings for Sekhmet?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:09:05 am »
Em  hotep!

She likes red meat.  Make sure you grill it or use it in cooking after you offer it. She absolutely abhors waste.  Sekhmet loves frankincense - that is Her scent of choice. Myrryh and Amber also go over very well, avoid synthetics, essential oils are best. Nothing too light of floofy for Her. The heavy, "Oriental"  scents She seems to prefer most.  Red Beer, Red wines, Darker Rum (She likes VERY GOOD Rum, like Barbancourt or Mt. Gay....but Captain will do in a pinch).  If you give Her flowers, the various red kinds do very well. The closer to resembling blood they are, the better they seem to be recieved.  

I hope that helps

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert
Meryt-Amun (Beloved of Amun)
Heri Seshta Sekhmet-Mut / HetHert

Offline Rev. Sema'a

• W'ab (priest)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:25:26 am »
Anything red. Cranberry juice is good, but pomegranate juice is especially good. I've offered Her a cranberry cinnamon tea that went over really well. Red meat, as you've discovered. She kind of was miffed at me when I tried to offer Her soda once; It's unhealthy, She said, and She doesn't want me polluting my body. She likes alcohol - red beer, I think is the best but red wine has gone well before too. I'm a daughter of Sekhmet-Mut, so She tends to like very fine things from me - fine wine, opals and rubies, copper bracelets, candles, expensive chocolates... stuff like that. Your mileage will definitely vary because of that.

I didn't know She liked frankincense! I've been wearing it nonstop. I bought a bottle of essential oil for Her and for Dad - I bought myrrh for Wepwawet and I bought somalian rose for Sekhmet-Mut. She seems to love it - It's Sekhmet-y enough, but a tiny bit floral for the Mut-ness. Man I hope that made sense.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:34:25 am by Sobeq »
Sema'a Ankh Hen'a Semawy (Sobeqsenu)
W'ab Nekhen Ib Imau-sen
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut, Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:55:46 am »
Em hotep!

Another drink that I forgot to mention was hibiscus (Hibiscus Sabdariffa). Celestial Seasonings has a good hibiscus tea called "Red Zinger" that does pretty well with Her.  

Interestingly, hibiscus is a blood tonifier (yay for the doctrine of signatures!), and there is a traditional Kemetic drink, still in use today called karkade that is served either hot or chilled.

Senebty!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NiankhSekhmet »
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 09:18:03 am »
Em Hotep!

Right before my surgery I had asked the group who to pray to and everyone said Sekhmet... I gave her red wine and before every meal I offered it to her... also I burned incense and prayed to her everyday. It has worked so far, It's been a month since my surgery and I am getting around beter... but there is still more work ahead, and believe me I will still be offering to her!  Sekhmet, has been wonderful to me... tell your mom thanks from me :)
Senebty,
Tutisenu
"Two make me Satisfied"
Danyi
Sat Djehuty her Sekhmet-Mut, meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir

Your hand in my hand,
My soul inspired
My heart in bliss,
Because we go together.~excerpt~Egyptian Love Poem
http://www.facebook.com/Tutisenu  
Nefersenet@aol.com

Offline NiankhSekhmet

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:07:22 am »
Em hotep Danyi:

That is quite a testament. I will pass along your good words. Of course, you can do it, too. I am sure She would be glad to hear from you. :)

Senebty!
NiankhSekhmet
Sat Sekhmet-Mut/HetHert

Offline Menekh

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Nefersenet
Sekhmet, has been wonderful to me...

Yes, She's a great lady indeed.  I've been on the receiving end of Her grace more times than I've earned or deserved.

Menekh

Killian's anyone?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Djehutymenekh »
"One does not beg the sun for mercy."
- Frank Herbert

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 06:55:25 pm »
She wonderful and has helped me more than I could ever explain
Senebty,
Tutisenu
"Two make me Satisfied"
Danyi
Sat Djehuty her Sekhmet-Mut, meryt Yinepu-Wepwawet her Ptah-Sokar-Wesir

Your hand in my hand,
My soul inspired
My heart in bliss,
Because we go together.~excerpt~Egyptian Love Poem
http://www.facebook.com/Tutisenu  
Nefersenet@aol.com

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 07:25:30 pm »
Quote from: Djehutymenekh
Yes, She's a great lady indeed.  I've been on the receiving end of Her grace more times than I've earned or deserved.

Menekh

Killian's anyone?

[color:#993399]I have a bottle of that in the fridge right now, with Sekhmet's name on it.  :) [/color]
Sat Bast her Djehuty her Hekatawy Alexandros (AUS) meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Senytmenu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:06:56 am »
Em hotep,

In addition to the great offerings already mentioned, I've found that Sekhmet likes the spicy (hot) varieties of V-8! It's thick and red and... well, you know! ;)

I've also offered her little mounds of cinnamon (which I sprinkle on my cereal afterwards) and vitamin/health tonic drinks such as vitamin-infused water, sparkling mineral water and even aloe vera juice. As a side-note to an earlier comment, I've found that Sekhmet tends to not like soda pop along with anything that has artificial sweetners or additives in it.  She really hates chemicals!  Many of the Netjeru seem to share this trait.  I try to keep my offerings as pure and healthy as possible.

Sekhmet also seems to like a lot of the spicy foods I offer to my Father, such as marinated feta cheese and Greek olives.  And along the lines of scents, She likes gardenia - one of my favorite perfumes.  :)

Senebty!
Senut
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senytmenu »
Senytmenu (The Two Endure)
Sat Sekhmet & Wepwawet
Meryt Bast, Set & Aset
Heri-seshta Sekhmet

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 11:27:44 am »
Quote from: Senytmenu
As a side-note to an earlier comment, I've found that Sekhmet tends to not like soda pop along with anything that has artificial sweetners or additives in it.  She really hates chemicals!  Many of the Netjeru seem to share this trait.  I try to keep my offerings as pure and healthy as possible.

Not that I have nearly as much experience as the members of HoN, but based on what I've felt coming from a couple of netjeru, I would have to concur. Set absolutely does NOT like artificial sweeteners, and He doesn't much care for added white sugar, which I guess falls under the "additives" umbrella. He seems to tolerate the new brown sugar Splenda product I've been using since ditching everything else, though, so go figure. And Geb likes fresh fruit and veggies, the basic healthy stuff, especially dark green veggies like brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, and spinach. Fresh produce, not canned or frozen.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:00:15 pm by Bennu »
Fate is the web we weave from the choices we make.

"'The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.' That's us, dude!"  
              -Ted "Theodore" Logan, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Offline Asetdjaut

• Shemsu
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 01:06:53 pm »
Hotep Everyone!

Please, forgive me if this question is silly, but from what you said I realized that we are supposed to consume what we offer to the Names. Is it correct?

I always felt that they did it in Kemet, I mean, all the food offerings were consumed by the temple people. Is it correct?

So there is no food waste, you won´t let an apple, for example, in your altar and then throw it in the waste bin, did I understand it right?

Senebty,
Maximira
Asetdjaut

Sat Aset-Serqet.
Meryt Nit-Nebthet-Seshat her Sekhmet-Hethert her Bast.

“En Aset, het nebet nofret wabet."

Self-Care Yinepu Advocate

Offline Ankhetbast

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:16:42 pm »
That's right.  Waste is not a good thing.  The exception to this is offerings to your akhu.  Once it's given to the dead, it's for them and not the living to consume.
~~~~Ankhetbast~~~~

Sat Bast her Hekatawy I (AUS), Meryt Serqet, Yinepu her HetHert

"Be excellent to each other." ~Bill and Ted

Offline Metitaitui

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 06:28:03 pm »
Hotep, Naelyan!

Other non-wasteful things to do with offerings are giving the food to someone else to eat if the Names ask for something you don't like (happened to me a few times) or leave it outside for the animals and bugs if you accidentally leave food, like fruit for example, on your shrine for too long (also has happened to me a few times). :)

Senebty,
Meti
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 06:28:46 pm by Metitaitui »
sat Set her Djehuty meryt Ra, Heru-wer, her Hethert

Offline Setjataset

• Shemsu
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 03:35:37 am »
Senut you've reminded me of something you guys might like to try:

Take a fresh fig and slice it in half, then on one half place a thin wedge of feta cheese on it and drizzle with honey.

I've found Sekhmet LOVES this offering and so do my vegetarian friends :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:36:45 am by Setjataset »
Setjataset
sat Aset-Serqet
meryt Bast her Hethert-Sekhmet
her Seshat-Nit-Nebthet
[color:#00FF00]Sau Apprentice[/color]

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 3335
  • stats Total Posts: 300102
  • stats Total Topics: 20626
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 119