Register
collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 77
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 11, 10/16/2009  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 11, 10/16/2009
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
KEMET THIS WEEK – PODCAST 11

Hello everybody and welcome to “Kemet this Week.”

A few days ago one of our newer members asked me a question about vocations; becoming a priest.  How do you know if you're called to become a priest?  I have this conversation a lot, and I thought it would be good to take a few minutes and talk about this whole vocation thing and what it really means.

We are not a religion of priests.  This is not a faith where priesthood is considered the natural evolution of initiation, the end goal for all members.  No.  As a Shemsu or Remetj, you're not in any way less spiritually advanced than the priests, nor are you missing out on some magical transformative experience you'd never be able to get without taking up the mantle of the clergy.

In antiquity, priesthood was often a seasonal job. You'd spend a few months down on the family farm raising your crops just like everybody else, then spend a few months serving in the temple.  It's sometimes hard for modern folks to adjust to the uniquely Kemetic paradigm of priesthood, so laden are we with conceptions and misconceptions from other faiths.  Here's the biggest misconception of all; the idea that a Kemetic Orthodox Priest serves the gods. That's not correct.  A Kemetic Orthodox Priest does not exist to serve the gods; a Kemetic Orthodox Priest exists to serve the people.  While the W'ab (purity priests) do carry out a daily Rite and maintain state shrines, where do you see them most?  At our rituals.  What are they doing there?  Ensuring purity, seeing to the needs of the attendees, and working to create a pious and contemplative environment for all of us.  If you remember nothing else today, remember this; the W'ab priest who greets you at the door to the temple is the last person to come inside.  And the Imakhu?  Please.  As your Heri Tep, my job is 10% spirituality and 90% paperwork-ality.  We Imakhu take care of the nuts and bolts, the practical concerns of running a church, attending to every day emergencies, and dealing with the very, very unglamorous details that have to be taken care of every day so that everyone can enjoy the benefit from this wonderful faith.  When I'm done recording, mixing and uploading this podcast, I'm going to go work on a membership spreadsheet for a new beginners' class.  It's going to take me about 2 hours.  It will not be a holy 2 hours.

So, who does dedicate themselves to serving the gods?  You do.  I could say this a million times, and still not stress it strongly enough; when you become a Shemsu or a Remetj, you're acknowledging the glory of Netjer and opening yourself to that glory.  We are, all of us, from the King Herself, to someone who has just joined the House yesterday, called to the service of God.  It's in your daily shrine rite; it's study and reflection, and fellowship with your brothers and sisters in the faith. You are a servant of God and a child of God with all the rights and all the responsibilities that come along with it.  Look yourself in the mirror and say that out loud, and say it with confidence, and know that it is true.  There's no title you must earn before working to promote the will of the gods, before striving to manifest Ma'at in your life, and in the lives of others.  

So here's a homework assignment for you.  In your spiritual practice, and in your everyday life, how do you serve the gods?  Think about it.  Brainstorm.  See what you come up with, and we'll talk about it next week.

For now, this has been “Kemet this Week” for October 16th, 2009.  Be safe, and we’ll see you next week.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Senushemi »
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Re: KEMET THIS WEEK, Episode 11, 10/16/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »
Very nice. No typos here. :)
Daughter of Taweret and Djehuty
Beloved of Amun

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »
What kinds of things DO serve them? Aside from upholding Ma'at?
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline Sobeqsenu

• Rev. Danielle - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:02:34 pm »
I would say that everything we do is an act of service. I've taken up the mantra of "all of this for God", which I repeat to myself as I'm doing any sort of work. Living our lives well serves Netjer, because it serves what Netjer has made. :)
Priest of Wepwawet and Sekhmet-Mut
Beloved of Bast, Nut, Khonsu & Nebt-het
Heri-sesheta Wepwawet | Fedw Diviner
revdgallo@kemet.org

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:24 am »
Gotcha.
Timu

Sat Aset, meryt Wepwawet her Renenutet

Offline NeferuHethert

• Rev. Barbara, Ordained Clergy, Semer-Wati
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »
Beautifully put, Sobeqsenu!
Rev. NeferuHethert
Sat Hethert/Sekhmet, meryt Ra her Djehuty her Yinepu/Wepwawet
Heryt seshta and Mut-netjer Hethert 
𓉡

Offline Senushemi

• Forum Moderator (Beginners' Forums)
  • Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:34:57 pm »
Agreed, KI Neferu.  :)

Also, just wanted to point out that the "speaker" is actually Antybast, not me.  (heh)  :)
Sat Bast her Djehuty meryt Sekhmet
Fedw Diviner for Djehuty and Bast
Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Proud waver of the "senu" flag.
senushemi@gmail.com

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:11 pm »
Em hotep all,

Is this an active podcast these days? If not, is there a possibility of starting one up?

Yes, I realize this might mean I'm volunteering to do it :) I'm game.

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu,Sed/Fundraising Team

Offline Yinepuemsaes

• Shemsu
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:06 pm »
I would definitely listen to your podcast!
Yinepuemsaes - "Yinepu is her protection"
Sat Yinepu
Meryt Bast

Online A'Aqytsekhmet

• Rev. A'aqyt - Ordained Clergy
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:13:54 pm »
I am currently working on something like a podcast. I am in the process of taking interviews with people. So this is a slow process and i want to have a few pieces before they become available.
Sat Sekhmet-Nebetuu meryt Sobek-Ra, Yinepu, Nebthet, Nefertem, Wenut, Sokar-Wesir
Nekhen Iakhu Ihy Neferu Khau
Fedw Diviner  -  Shrine Image Service available  -  Self-Care Sekhmet Advocate
Zazzle Shop - Patreon[

Offline Tatuayinepu

• Shemsu-Ankh
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:59:10 pm »
I am currently working on something like a podcast. I am in the process of taking interviews with people. So this is a slow process and i want to have a few pieces before they become available.

Awesome! If I can help with anything let me know.

Tatuayinepu
Tatuayinepu "The one Yinepu sustains"

Child of Yinepu-Wepwawet and Hekatawy Alexandros I (AUS); Beloved of Sekhmet-Hethert, Heru Sa Aset, Set, and Heru wer

Sau Apprentice/Fedw diviner for Yinepu,Sed/Fundraising Team

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 2937
  • stats Total Posts: 286235
  • stats Total Topics: 19410
  • stats Total Categories: 8
  • stats Total Boards: 110
  • stats Most Online: 217
anything